Obama schedules joint session job speech at same time as GOP Debate.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:30:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Obama schedules joint session job speech at same time as GOP Debate.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Author Topic: Obama schedules joint session job speech at same time as GOP Debate.  (Read 14241 times)
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 31, 2011, 11:30:57 AM »

First of all, I think it's hilarious that this happened. But what do you all think, will Bachmann and Paul skip the joint session? Will they put the debate on hold, or just ignore the president? Oh, and was this done intentionally?
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 11:38:21 AM »

Intentional, and the candidates will skip it to attend the debate.  Obama has no power to compel their attendance.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 11:40:17 AM »

Intentional, and the candidates will skip it to attend the debate.  Obama has no power to compel their attendance.

Yeah it's a no brainer it's intentional.....and it will be interesting to compare the ratings.  I think so many people are tired listening to this guy talk it's unreal.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 11:41:06 AM »

Yeah it's a no brainer it's intentional.....and it will be interesting to compare the ratings.  I think so many people are tired listening to this guy talk it's unreal.

He's like a used car salesman with nothing but junkers in the lot.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 11:41:30 AM »

I suspect they'll postpone the GOP debate.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 11:43:18 AM »

if not disrespectful (though he is the POTUS, guess he has the right to be a jerk), definitely unsportsmanlike and not very smart
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 11:54:16 AM »

if not disrespectful (though he is the POTUS, guess he has the right to be a jerk), definitely unsportsmanlike and not very smart

His blithering idiot Press Secretary will give an eloquent explanation, I'm sure.  Roll Eyes
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 12:24:27 PM »

Classless
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 12:29:38 PM »

That's politics, it's not supposed to be fair. The GOP should know that they are owed nothing by the President or anyone else. Besides, jobs are more important than the debate.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 12:30:58 PM »

jobs are more important than the debate.

It only took close to three years for the President to realize it!
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 12:33:33 PM »

Keep the debate!

Few Republicans are going to bother listening to the big talking a$$hat open his fat mouth.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 12:35:31 PM »

His blithering idiot Press Secretary will give an eloquent explanation, I'm sure.  Roll Eyes

“It is coincidental. ... There are a lot of factors that go into scheduling a joint session of Congress for a speech.  You can never find a perfect time.”

--Jay Carney, today
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 12:41:58 PM »

yeah, definitely the worst Press Secretary since George Stephanopoulos...can't believe they don't have more common sense than to have a wormy looking dweeb for a press sec....it's as if they don't understand PR at all.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 12:43:14 PM »

“It is coincidental. ... There are a lot of factors that go into scheduling a joint session of Congress for a speech.  You can never find a perfect time.”

--Jay Carney, today

Oh yes Jay, none of the President's advisors had a clue the GOP candidates were debating that day.  Roll Eyes  Why was one day either way not perfect?
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 12:46:54 PM »

I swear to God if they move that debate one hour back I'm voting for 3rd Party.  Do not surrender!!!
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 12:49:46 PM »

Three Best Press Secretaries last 30 years:
1) Larry Speakes (Reagan)
2) Marlin Fitzwater (Reagan/Bush41)
3) Ari Fleischer (Bush43)

Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 12:59:38 PM »

If the GOP did this, you'd be declaring it a great political tactic.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 01:06:56 PM »
« Edited: August 31, 2011, 01:13:47 PM by jmfcst »

upstaging someone is one thing, but pulling the microphone away from someone is totally different (unless there was a new crisis justifying it, but the unemployment problem has been going on since before Obama took office, there is no justification for this timing and only makes him look childish and adds to the perception of arrogance - "I am the POTUS! So go sit in the back of the bus.").
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 01:27:06 PM »

upstaging someone is one thing, but pulling the microphone away from someone is totally different (unless there was a new crisis justifying it, but the unemployment problem has been going on since before Obama took office, there is no justification for this timing and only makes him look childish and adds to the perception of arrogance - "I am the POTUS! So go sit in the back of the bus.").

Does it actually work like that.  My impression is that the President respectfully requests a joint session of the congress.  Generally that request is granted, but it's not as though he orders anything.

I'll assume that the Speaker of the House will get on the phone to the white house and to the sponsors of the GOP debate and see if one of them is willing to reschedule. 

Obviously, it reeks of an attempt by the White House staff to upstage the Republicans.  You could spin it as a power play, but it just comes down to a simple gamble on the part of the white house that the Republicans (and their debate sponsors) would be willing to reschedule. 

It could be in the best interest of the debate to go on after Obama's speech, as some questions could arise during the speech and it would be interesting to hear the candidates debate among themselves about who has better ideas than Obama. 

And does anyone honestly expect any real substantive statements from either event?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 01:35:03 PM »

And does anyone honestly expect any real substantive statements from either event?

well, in the long run this little incident isn't gonna be remembered...and, yes, the POTUS is giving the GOP some ammo to shoot him with...but, the public is really no longer looking to Washington for answers, which right now is a problem for Obama, for not only do The People neither trust his lack of leadership nor his failed plans, but Obama's got "Boehner's Bitch" still freshly tattooed on his back side.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2011, 01:37:44 PM »

Well, I will probably watch the debate. At least it has the potential to be an entertaining train-wreck. Obama is just a slow moving, dull train-wreck at this point.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2011, 01:38:12 PM »

Let me guess, Obama will say more polite things like "get people who can afford it to pay theirs share" and superior politicians (the Republicans) will twist that into "Obama wants to empty out everybody's savings accounts to pay for more wasteful spending."
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2011, 01:41:57 PM »

"Boehner's Bitch" still freshly tattooed on his back side.

and "Harry's Ho" on the other cheek.  

Which side he raises, as he lies face down on the sofa, depends on whom he's meeting, of course.  He is, after all, an adept politician.  
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2011, 01:44:39 PM »

In the end, it won't matter, the people who were going to watch the GOP debate wouldn't watch Obama anyway. Most of the audience for the GOP debates is non-mainstream and people just looking to make fun of Republicans.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2011, 01:49:38 PM »

In the end, it won't matter, the people who were going to watch the GOP debate wouldn't watch Obama anyway. Most of the audience for the GOP debates is non-mainstream and people just looking to make fun of Republicans.

I actually don't buy that.  True, neither event will shed any light on anything, and for most people who lead rich and rewarding lives, watching either one would be an utter waste of time.  But for the types of junkies who watch these things--like those of us who regularly post here--both are watchworthy.  If only for entertainment value.  Anyone on this forum can tell you that drinking games are just as much fun when applied to Obama's speeches as they are to GOP primary debates, and vice versa.

No matter what we say, we're all a little sad at the prospect at having to chose one for live feed, and to go with CSPAN at a later time for the other.  This forum will be a weird place that night, with hard-to-follow threads, if neither event reschedules, I can assure you.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies