Obama schedules joint session job speech at same time as GOP Debate. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:12:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Obama schedules joint session job speech at same time as GOP Debate. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama schedules joint session job speech at same time as GOP Debate.  (Read 14332 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« on: August 31, 2011, 11:40:17 AM »

Intentional, and the candidates will skip it to attend the debate.  Obama has no power to compel their attendance.

Yeah it's a no brainer it's intentional.....and it will be interesting to compare the ratings.  I think so many people are tired listening to this guy talk it's unreal.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 11:54:16 AM »

if not disrespectful (though he is the POTUS, guess he has the right to be a jerk), definitely unsportsmanlike and not very smart

His blithering idiot Press Secretary will give an eloquent explanation, I'm sure.  Roll Eyes
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 12:43:14 PM »

if not disrespectful (though he is the POTUS, guess he has the right to be a jerk), definitely unsportsmanlike and not very smart

His blithering idiot Press Secretary will give an eloquent explanation, I'm sure.  Roll Eyes

“It is coincidental. ... There are a lot of factors that go into scheduling a joint session of Congress for a speech.  You can never find a perfect time.”

--Jay Carney, today

Oh yes Jay, none of the President's advisors had a clue the GOP candidates were debating that day.  Roll Eyes  Why was one day either way not perfect?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 03:37:06 PM »

Here is the letter Obama sent Congress:

By National Journal staff

Updated: August 31, 2011 | 12:44 p.m.
August 31, 2011 | 12:12 p.m.
"Dear Mr. Speaker: (Dear Mr. Leader:)

Our Nation faces unprecedented economic challenges, and millions of hardworking Americans continue to look for jobs. As I have traveled across our country this summer and spoken with our fellow Americans, I have heard a consistent message: Washington needs to put aside politics and start making decisions based on what is best for our country and not what is best for each of our parties in order to grow the economy and create jobs. We must answer this call.

Therefore, I respectfully request the opportunity to address a Joint Session of Congress on September 7, 2011, at 8:00 p.m. It is my intention to lay out a series of bipartisan proposals that the Congress can take immediately to continue to rebuild the American economy by strengthening small businesses, helping Americans get back to work, and putting more money in the paychecks of the Middle Class and working Americans, while still reducing our deficit and getting our fiscal house in order. It is our responsibility to find bipartisan solutions to help grow our economy, and if we are willing to put country before party, I am confident we can do just that.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

BARACK OBAMA"

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 08:16:47 AM »

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 10:31:45 AM »

I've always felt that joint sessions of congress should be saved for SotU and monumental occasions, like Pearl Harbor or 9/11. I'd rather policy speeches be given from the Oval Office.

The lack of jobs and the economy in general is a monumental problem.......I think it counts.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies