Obama schedules joint session job speech at same time as GOP Debate. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:42:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Obama schedules joint session job speech at same time as GOP Debate. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama schedules joint session job speech at same time as GOP Debate.  (Read 14349 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
« on: August 31, 2011, 12:35:31 PM »

if not disrespectful (though he is the POTUS, guess he has the right to be a jerk), definitely unsportsmanlike and not very smart

His blithering idiot Press Secretary will give an eloquent explanation, I'm sure.  Roll Eyes

“It is coincidental. ... There are a lot of factors that go into scheduling a joint session of Congress for a speech.  You can never find a perfect time.”

--Jay Carney, today
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 01:27:06 PM »

if not disrespectful (though he is the POTUS, guess he has the right to be a jerk), definitely unsportsmanlike and not very smart

If the GOP did this, you'd be declaring it a great political tactic.

upstaging someone is one thing, but pulling the microphone away from someone is totally different (unless there was a new crisis justifying it, but the unemployment problem has been going on since before Obama took office, there is no justification for this timing and only makes him look childish and adds to the perception of arrogance - "I am the POTUS! So go sit in the back of the bus.").

Does it actually work like that.  My impression is that the President respectfully requests a joint session of the congress.  Generally that request is granted, but it's not as though he orders anything.

I'll assume that the Speaker of the House will get on the phone to the white house and to the sponsors of the GOP debate and see if one of them is willing to reschedule. 

Obviously, it reeks of an attempt by the White House staff to upstage the Republicans.  You could spin it as a power play, but it just comes down to a simple gamble on the part of the white house that the Republicans (and their debate sponsors) would be willing to reschedule. 

It could be in the best interest of the debate to go on after Obama's speech, as some questions could arise during the speech and it would be interesting to hear the candidates debate among themselves about who has better ideas than Obama. 

And does anyone honestly expect any real substantive statements from either event?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 01:41:57 PM »

"Boehner's Bitch" still freshly tattooed on his back side.

and "Harry's Ho" on the other cheek.  

Which side he raises, as he lies face down on the sofa, depends on whom he's meeting, of course.  He is, after all, an adept politician.  
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 01:49:38 PM »

In the end, it won't matter, the people who were going to watch the GOP debate wouldn't watch Obama anyway. Most of the audience for the GOP debates is non-mainstream and people just looking to make fun of Republicans.

I actually don't buy that.  True, neither event will shed any light on anything, and for most people who lead rich and rewarding lives, watching either one would be an utter waste of time.  But for the types of junkies who watch these things--like those of us who regularly post here--both are watchworthy.  If only for entertainment value.  Anyone on this forum can tell you that drinking games are just as much fun when applied to Obama's speeches as they are to GOP primary debates, and vice versa.

No matter what we say, we're all a little sad at the prospect at having to chose one for live feed, and to go with CSPAN at a later time for the other.  This forum will be a weird place that night, with hard-to-follow threads, if neither event reschedules, I can assure you.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 04:01:36 PM »

If he's deliberately ensuring a smaller audience...

Imagine a President speaking to a half-full chamber.  Or about half full:  193 house members and 53 senators showing up for his jobs speech. 

"Who let the dogs out?"
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies