Ontario 2011 (6th October)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 15, 2024, 11:55:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ontario 2011 (6th October)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 24
Author Topic: Ontario 2011 (6th October)  (Read 82929 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: October 01, 2011, 07:20:55 PM »

Based on our marks, I have estimated that the Liberals have a one point lead here in Ottawa Centre (37-36). The Green vote has totally collapsed, and all the other parties are up from last time.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #276 on: October 01, 2011, 08:10:27 PM »

One thing's for certain: unless Hudak wins a majority, Dad will still be premier.

Not necessarily.  In 2006 federally, Martin didn't try to hang on after winning fewer seats.  Now true he would have had to include the Bloc Quebecois, but I think it depends on the closeness too.  If its only a few seats difference, then yes, but if Hudak has 10-15 seats more than McGuinty then no.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #277 on: October 01, 2011, 08:20:05 PM »

He can secure NDP support for his legislative agenda, so why not? Right now McGuinty will be barely short, just as Pearson was in the 1960s federally.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #278 on: October 01, 2011, 08:36:43 PM »

No. If McGuinty loses by one seat, he steps down. If wins the PV but not the seat count, he may form an accord a la 87.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #279 on: October 01, 2011, 09:15:03 PM »

The main mall in Malton has more Hindi on their signs than it has English.

Really? That's odd. Here, at least, signage in South Asian stores is always in English.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #280 on: October 02, 2011, 04:08:01 AM »

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/politics/provincialelection/article/1063024--hudak-worried-mcguinty-and-horwath-will-reach-deal-to-govern?bn=1
You must be logged in to read this quote.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #281 on: October 02, 2011, 09:10:55 AM »

Why is Dalton McGuinty nicknamed 'Dad' by the way?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #282 on: October 02, 2011, 09:28:26 AM »

I think it's because he's seen as being paternalistic.

Anyway, here's a picture of him when he was younger:

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #283 on: October 02, 2011, 09:57:02 AM »

So I was right about the Coalition.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #284 on: October 02, 2011, 12:41:22 PM »

He's a nanny statist father knows best kind of guy
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #285 on: October 02, 2011, 02:08:56 PM »

It comes from a series of Bloomberg-esque micro-regulations. He's banned, among other things: junk food sales in public schools; pit bulls; smoking on patios; displaying cigarettes in stores (in Ontario now you have to ask for the employee to get you cigarettes from behind this weird screen); smoking in cars with children in them (even your own car and your own children). A certain flavour of libertarian-conservative really hates this sort of thing.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #286 on: October 02, 2011, 02:12:09 PM »

It comes from a series of Bloomberg-esque micro-regulations. He's banned, among other things: junk food sales in public schools; pit bulls; smoking on patios; displaying cigarettes in stores (in Ontario now you have to ask for the employee to get you cigarettes from behind this weird screen); smoking in cars with children in them (even your own car and your own children). A certain flavour of libertarian-conservative really hates this sort of thing.
Okay, so all of these but the first belong in Arch-HP territory to me. Though there are worse things governments get up to, they are things I could absolutely not support under any circumstances.
DL
Canada

« Reply #287 on: October 02, 2011, 02:25:28 PM »

The law about not being allowed to display cigarettes in stores is actually federal. Can't blame "Premier Dad" for that.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #288 on: October 02, 2011, 02:39:16 PM »

Ontario's very own Tony Blair?
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #289 on: October 02, 2011, 02:46:10 PM »

The law about not being allowed to display cigarettes in stores is actually federal. Can't blame "Premier Dad" for that.

No, it's provincial - see, for example, this article from around the time:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.canada.com/windsorstar/news/story.html?id=1ec674b6-afd1-4248-9f33-1140ef9764a1
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #290 on: October 02, 2011, 03:52:16 PM »

Also, the pit bull genocide. (the canine equivelant of a genocide)
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #291 on: October 02, 2011, 09:04:43 PM »

New Nanos. I believe they're gonna be releasing one every night until Thursday.

Lib - 36.5% (-1.5)
PC - 34.0% (-1.3)
NDP - 26.8% (+2.2)
Green - 1.9% (+0.1)

Movin' on up.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #292 on: October 02, 2011, 09:12:50 PM »

I thought smoking on patios is still legal, at least it was when I moved here in 2006.  As for the cigarette displays, they are provincial laws but every province has passed them now.  I should also note Britain plans to pass similiar ones even with a Conservative government.  Off course I don't personally agree with them, but hardly statist relatively speaking.  I should also note on a site free our beer on facebook, Premier Dad is used often due to the fact he opposes allowing convenience stores to sell alcohol (8 of the 10 provinces prohibit this and the two that do limit it to lower alcoholic beverages not all alcoholic beverages).  I have also heard some of his supporters use it since he is seen as a father like figure.  After all he seems pretty gentle and a nice man, not an aggressive type you see with most politicians, thus somewhat a father like figure.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #293 on: October 02, 2011, 09:27:02 PM »

Also, the pit bull genocide. (the canine equivelant of a genocide)
Genocide =/= ethnic cleansing.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #294 on: October 02, 2011, 10:00:07 PM »

The NDP's position on selling alcohol in convenience stores (that it should remain illegal) doesn't make any sense. It's the one major issue I have with the platform.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #295 on: October 03, 2011, 04:13:23 AM »

I thought smoking on patios is still legal, at least it was when I moved here in 2006.  As for the cigarette displays, they are provincial laws but every province has passed them now.  I should also note Britain plans to pass similiar ones even with a Conservative government.
Uh, if there's one kind of politician from which a deviation from the nannystatist position can never be expected or considered a possibility, it's a British Conservative.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #296 on: October 03, 2011, 06:27:25 AM »

The NDP's position on selling alcohol in convenience stores (that it should remain illegal) doesn't make any sense. It's the one major issue I have with the platform.

I think it has more to do with the fact they don't want to undermine the unions in the LCBO.  But this could easily be corrected by limiting it to products that can be sold outside the LCBO (i.e. Beer, coolers, and Ontario wines).  I also suspect a lot from Ottawa are more open to the idea than elsewhere in the province after all most do buy their alcohol at convenience stores just on the Quebec side of the river. 

My point is any group that thinks a law is heavy handed will call the premier, premier Dad, sort of the view he knows better than you or I, much like a father with a child.

Also what other issues in the platform do you have a problem with for curiosity as I don't think there is a single person out there who agrees with anyone party on every single issue.  You vote for the party who you agree with the most.  After all you take 10 different issues and you put ten people in a room and ask each for the opinion on each issue, I doubt a single person would give the same answer to all ten questions.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #297 on: October 03, 2011, 07:27:08 AM »

Also what other issues in the platform do you have a problem with for curiosity as I don't think there is a single person out there who agrees with anyone party on every single issue.  You vote for the party who you agree with the most.  After all you take 10 different issues and you put ten people in a room and ask each for the opinion on each issue, I doubt a single person would give the same answer to all ten questions.

It's true, convenience stores here have to compete with their Quebec counterparts who can sell liquor. In fact, with the tax difference, many people go to Quebec anyways for booze.

There are other parts of the platform I oppose, but that's one of them. I suppose not wanting to do away with the Catholic school board is another big issue, but it's not been brought up this campaign.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #298 on: October 03, 2011, 07:33:45 AM »

I went to school in a Catholic school board, so...
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #299 on: October 03, 2011, 07:43:57 AM »

I went to school in a Catholic school board, so...

So did i... and i full support killing the Catholic school board, for both moral and financial reasons.

With the NDP rising in pretty much every poll we have seen, why would we not be leading in Ottawa centre? have we seen regional numbers that would suggest thats a lost race? I could see the strategic voting being played out in Ottawa as well since the tories can pick up urban seats there.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 24  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies