Ontario 2011 (6th October)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:29:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ontario 2011 (6th October)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24
Author Topic: Ontario 2011 (6th October)  (Read 82756 times)
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: October 08, 2011, 09:58:36 PM »
« edited: October 08, 2011, 10:02:47 PM by Holmes »

I'm back in Northern Ontario. No one here is happy with the results. But that's expected, Timmins-James Bay seems to have the biggest swing against the Liberals. And they only got <12%.

The Liberal and PC results there seem to have flipped. Big swing against them in Sudbury, too, but they just managed to hang on. I was somewhat surprised by the swings in Thunder Bay. The two seats seem very unlike the rest of Northern Ontario.

Hmm. Well, I don't know too much about Thunder Bay, but I do know that, when Bartolucci retires, Liberals might fall to distant second, or even third, like it is federally. If he doesn't retire for the next election, he'll have another battle. As for Timmins-James Bay, Xstrata closing was probably the straw that broke the Liberal camel's back. Liberals ed up in Northern Ontario. The three ridings they held onto were only because of the incumbents, and that's it. They're nearing extinction.

I'm interested to know, and I wonder if I'll ever find out, exactly where the Conservative vote is coming from here. I know Timmins is "trending"(for lack of a better word) Conservative, but I think it's too simple to say the Liberal vote is switching Conservative. I mean, after all, the Liberal candidate in the federal election here was campaigning as the "progressive voice for the north". Silly though, to frame yourself like that against Charlie Angus of all people.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #551 on: October 10, 2011, 01:44:30 AM »

The only two seats which swung heavily against the NDP were seats with retiring members.

No green on the Greens map...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #552 on: October 10, 2011, 07:08:04 PM »

Thunder Bay = strange. Poor campaigns there, I guess.

Holmes, I think it's just right wing Liberals switching to the Tories.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #553 on: October 11, 2011, 12:47:49 AM »

2011 Ontario Provincial Election Maps - Liberal Vote

2011 Ontario Provincial Election Maps - Progressive Conservative Vote

2011 Ontario Provincial Election Maps - NDP Vote

2011 Ontario Provincial Election Maps - Greens Vote
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #554 on: October 11, 2011, 12:55:56 AM »

Dufferin Caledon has no business being Green, but it's been among the top few Greenist ridings for a decade
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #555 on: October 15, 2011, 11:41:40 AM »

Dufferin Caledon has no business being Green, but it's been among the top few Greenist ridings for a decade

What? It's hilly, and thus beautiful but unsuitable for big industrial farming, unlike the flat and fertile areas in all other directions, and so in addition to the local rednecks, it's also full of people who make their living selling the organic products of their self-consciously small farms at farmers' markets in inner Toronto (and Guelph), or by selling artisanal pottery and that sort of thing to people from north Toronto who come for the weekend and stay in inns in restored old mills in Ye Olde Victorian Towns, and priority number one for the whole operation is making sure suburbia doesn't come north from Brampton.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #556 on: October 15, 2011, 06:35:43 PM »

it's also full of people who make their living selling the organic products of their self-consciously small farms at farmers' markets
Which does not fit in anywhere else in Rural ontario
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #557 on: October 15, 2011, 07:38:17 PM »

What Linus said makes sense, plus I dare say there may be a bit of what we call (over here - don't know if the term is used overseas) tree-change retirees (contrasting with seachange retirees). I'm sure you know the demographic I mean, even if you don't use the term - retirees who have swapped the city for the quiet and relaxed atmosphere of the country. They want to preserve the environment for their grandkids.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #558 on: October 15, 2011, 08:16:39 PM »

I'm sure you know the demographic I mean, even if you don't use the term - retirees who have swapped the city for the quiet and relaxed atmosphere of the country. They want to preserve the environment for their grandkids.
This is a contradiction
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #559 on: October 15, 2011, 08:25:26 PM »

it's also full of people who make their living selling the organic products of their self-consciously small farms at farmers' markets
Which does not fit in anywhere else in Rural ontario

Is this supposed to be sarcastic? In almost all of rural Ontario the overwhelming majority of farms use modern industrial agriculture and sell to food processors rather than directly to the general public, even if they are "family farms" in the sense that the owners live and work on the farm. The main exception is the old order Mennonite country north and west of Waterloo, but obviously here the politics are a bit different.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #560 on: October 15, 2011, 08:38:45 PM »

I don't think any of you have any reason to lie to me, but when I picture "rural" canadians, I don't picture "intelligent" or "caring" or "environmentalist" or "smart" or "modern", and you'll guys need to prove to me otherwise.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #561 on: October 15, 2011, 09:32:09 PM »

Now, now. People who live in rural areas aren't like some separate species from people who live in the cities.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #562 on: October 15, 2011, 10:11:29 PM »

I'm sure you know the demographic I mean, even if you don't use the term - retirees who have swapped the city for the quiet and relaxed atmosphere of the country. They want to preserve the environment for their grandkids.
This is a contradiction

How is it a contradiction? People don't retire in Canada? Or when they retire, they only ever live in the same area they lived before they retired? If you hadn't noticed, people from New York retire to Florida, these are seachange retirees. Perhaps people retiring to a quiet, rural setting is unique to Australia (or at least does not happen in the US and Canada) but it's certainly no contradiction to expect you to recognise a particular demographic, even if you use a different term to describe them.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #563 on: October 15, 2011, 11:01:19 PM »

Now, now. People who live in rural areas aren't like some separate species from people who live in the cities.
Just about as close as you can get.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #564 on: October 16, 2011, 08:10:54 AM »

Teddy, you're from PEI for God's sake. Which makes you, by definition, about eighty times more hickish than anyone from rural Ontario, even if you now live in Toronto...
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #565 on: October 16, 2011, 09:45:49 AM »

Exactly. People in rural areas in Atlantic Canada in general don't support insane right-wing insane parties that are insane and insane.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #566 on: October 16, 2011, 10:06:56 AM »

I was under the impression that New Brunswick and Newfoundland and Labrador both have majority PC governments.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #567 on: October 16, 2011, 10:27:05 AM »

PC yes.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #568 on: October 16, 2011, 11:30:30 AM »

Remarkable how SW Ontario has become such a wasteland for the Liberals, considering that was once their base.
adma
« Reply #569 on: October 16, 2011, 11:51:17 AM »

Remember: what ought to make even less sense than the Greens in Duff-Cal are (at least until this year's elections) the Greens in Grey-Bruce-OS...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #570 on: October 16, 2011, 11:59:15 AM »

This is a contradiction

How is it a contradiction? People don't retire in Canada? Or when they retire, they only ever live in the same area they lived before they retired? If you hadn't noticed, people from New York retire to Florida, these are seachange retirees. Perhaps people retiring to a quiet, rural setting is unique to Australia (or at least does not happen in the US and Canada) but it's certainly no contradiction to expect you to recognise a particular demographic, even if you use a different term to describe them.
No one (of IQ>60) who wants to preserve a particular environment retires to it from elsewhere.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #571 on: October 17, 2011, 06:52:08 PM »

Remember: what ought to make even less sense than the Greens in Duff-Cal are (at least until this year's elections) the Greens in Grey-Bruce-OS...

What was the reason for that anyway? Obviously that was near where (or actually where?) there was that whole Walkerton unpleasantness, but environmental/public health disaster doesn't usually lead on so neatly to Greenie success.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #572 on: October 17, 2011, 06:54:39 PM »

Suppose it's also interesting that you have consistently higher Greenie percentages on the north side of the Oak Ridges Moraine (a pattern that Dufferin-Caledon fits in with, obviously).
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #573 on: October 17, 2011, 09:14:10 PM »
« Edited: January 16, 2014, 10:04:36 PM by Linus Van Pelt »

Yes - nicely observed.

Rural Ontario is really three distinct areas, not just two, in a way that will not be obvious from political maps, since it is hidden by the Conservative voting of both southern zones. There's a northern area based in unionized mining and forestry, a heavily farmed flat southwestern area where the countryside resembles US states starting with "I", and an east-central area that's more forested with lots of recreational tourism, with a landscape more reminiscent of upstate New York.

The following map I've just made shows this quite clearly. (outline map, with yellowish boundaries, from Earl on wikipedia).

The Green party's Ontario base, such as it is, is concentrated in the third of these areas - though particularly in the transition zone between it and the southwest, where you get that Vermont-like small-farms-in-the-wooded-hills look that's so appealing to a certain demographic.

Now, as regards Bruce-Grey-Owen Sound, this much explains why it would be one of those ridings where the Greens are higher than average (Bruce County on the map is a bit misleading; the part in Huron-Bruce riding - which BTW includes Walkerton, so that explanation's off - is extensively farmed). But why they suddenly leapfrogged for a couple of elections into second place and then back down again to normal levels is probably just one of those weird things involving the strengths of local candidates and organizations without a deep demographic reason.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #574 on: October 17, 2011, 09:21:41 PM »

But then why no super-green vote out in the white area?
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies