Ontario 2011 (6th October) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:56:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ontario 2011 (6th October) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ontario 2011 (6th October)  (Read 83135 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: September 06, 2011, 11:27:53 AM »
« edited: September 06, 2011, 11:30:25 AM by never met a fence I didn't want to burrow under »

Somebody put the date of this election into the subject header or at least the opening post, or I'll have this man

raised from the dead to abduct him.

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 10:17:58 AM »

That sort of thing in the middle of a campaign is never good news. It might be damage control, but it's not good news.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 08:43:26 AM »

That sort of thing in the middle of a campaign is never good news. It might be damage control, but it's not good news.

What? It's great news. I guess you don't know who Barry Weisleder is! We want to distance the hell out of him.
I am dimly aware. But there's a difference between him not selected anywhere, and him being deselected by some hard-to-judge bureaucratic process in the middle of the campaign. The latter probably is a better reminder of his existence than if he just silently ran in some unwinnable riding.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 04:48:32 AM »

What would be a likely seat distribution if the three parties poll equal shares?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 05:48:45 AM »

Uniform swings of that sort aren't really much more likely or sophisticated than of the other type... but I guess I'd take that result. Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 06:31:54 AM »

Actually by reducing the number and not applying any swing you don't get a uniform swing at all.
Sure. It's just following a different rule, but it's still regular. Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 02:12:09 PM »

It comes from a series of Bloomberg-esque micro-regulations. He's banned, among other things: junk food sales in public schools; pit bulls; smoking on patios; displaying cigarettes in stores (in Ontario now you have to ask for the employee to get you cigarettes from behind this weird screen); smoking in cars with children in them (even your own car and your own children). A certain flavour of libertarian-conservative really hates this sort of thing.
Okay, so all of these but the first belong in Arch-HP territory to me. Though there are worse things governments get up to, they are things I could absolutely not support under any circumstances.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 04:13:23 AM »

It comes from a series of Bloomberg-esque micro-regulations. He's banned, among other things: junk food sales in public schools; pit bulls; smoking on patios; displaying cigarettes in stores (in Ontario now you have to ask for the employee to get you cigarettes from behind this weird screen); smoking in cars with children in them (even your own car and your own children). A certain flavour of libertarian-conservative really hates this sort of thing.
  I thought smoking on patios is still legal, at least it was when I moved here in 2006.  As for the cigarette displays, they are provincial laws but every province has passed them now.  I should also note Britain plans to pass similiar ones even with a Conservative government.
Uh, if there's one kind of politician from which a deviation from the nannystatist position can never be expected or considered a possibility, it's a British Conservative.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 04:22:23 AM »

Majority missed by one seat? Lol.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 11:59:15 AM »

I'm sure you know the demographic I mean, even if you don't use the term - retirees who have swapped the city for the quiet and relaxed atmosphere of the country. They want to preserve the environment for their grandkids.
This is a contradiction

How is it a contradiction? People don't retire in Canada? Or when they retire, they only ever live in the same area they lived before they retired? If you hadn't noticed, people from New York retire to Florida, these are seachange retirees. Perhaps people retiring to a quiet, rural setting is unique to Australia (or at least does not happen in the US and Canada) but it's certainly no contradiction to expect you to recognise a particular demographic, even if you use a different term to describe them.
No one (of IQ>60) who wants to preserve a particular environment retires to it from elsewhere.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies