Is this acceptable language of political discourse?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:28:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is this acceptable language of political discourse?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Is this acceptable language of political discourse?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Is this acceptable language of political discourse?  (Read 6109 times)
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 05, 2011, 05:56:23 PM »

Jimmy Hoffa Jr. in a warm up speech for President Barack H. Obama

"We got to keep an eye on the battle that we face: The war on workers. And you see it everywhere, it is the Tea Party.

And you know, there is only one way to beat and win that war. The one thing about working people is we like a good fight.

And you know what? They've got a war, they got a war with us and there's only going to be one winner. It's going to be the workers of Michigan, and America. We're going to win that war,"

"President Obama, this is your army. We are ready to march. Let's take these son of bitches out and give America back to an America where we belong,"
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 06:15:14 PM »

Yes. About time the dems start pushing back against the crazies.
Marston
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 07:30:15 PM »
« Edited: September 05, 2011, 08:12:06 PM by Marston »

No. It's not.

But... it's Jimmy Hoffa Jr. of the Teamster's Union! What do you expect? He's not exactly the most diplomatic person in the world.

Edit: Just to clarify. I thought the only inappropriate language was the 'son's of b!tches' sentence. Everything else was more or less fine. 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 08:06:38 PM »

Beautiful political speech Vorlon.  The rich are killing the poor, so the poor need to at least be cognizant of this fact before than can begin to hope to do anything to fight back.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 08:10:21 PM »

Judging by some laws past in state government, the right-wing is seemingly launching a war on organized labor. So yes, it's completely appropriate.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 08:16:13 PM »

The man's name is Jimmy Hoffa.

The difference between him saying these things and the GOP saying similar things is that Jimmy Hoffa Jr. is not a public official.

I like the speech itself, and I hope the President listens.  However, it's a bit too strong to open for the President.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 08:23:12 PM »

Don't we have lower standards for Teamsters and Tea Partiers?
Link
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 08:59:41 PM »

Jimmy Hoffa Jr. in a warm up speech for President Barack H. Obama

"We got to keep an eye on the battle that we face: The war on workers. And you see it everywhere, it is the Tea Party.

And you know, there is only one way to beat and win that war. The one thing about working people is we like a good fight.

And you know what? They've got a war, they got a war with us and there's only going to be one winner. It's going to be the workers of Michigan, and America. We're going to win that war,"

"President Obama, this is your army. We are ready to march. Let's take these son of bitches out and give America back to an America where we belong,"

no.  It is not.
Link
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 09:00:47 PM »

This.

But it's still wrong for an opening for any president.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 09:00:54 PM »

That's maybe 1/10 as unacceptable as stuff you hear all the time from the Tea Party, if even that.
Link
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 09:03:46 PM »

That's maybe 1/10 as unacceptable as stuff you hear all the time from the Tea Party, if even that.

I hear you, but I think both parties should have a zero tolerance policy for this type of rhetoric.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 09:18:00 PM »

I think you just have to ask yourself:  How many of them have to be sons of bitches before you can just start calling all of them sons of bitches?

Perhaps Hoffa's threshold is too low... but the term certainly and accurately describes a good number of the Republicans in congress.  Though there are some Democrats who I wouldn't mind calling a "son of a bitch".
t_host1

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 11:05:19 PM »

Mr. Hoffa is within his 1st Amendment right to speak, equally, the independent is no longer under any perceived threat of the union or a member of a union. Organized labor's declaration to take out, to deny the civil rights of the citizen, said citizen has now, the warranted 2nd Amendment right to exercise without prejudice at first sight of a union, member of or as a group to be understood, when in the presence of or approached by the union or member, to be in imminent threat to its person, family or property to act accordingly.
Link
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 11:18:50 PM »

Mr. Hoffa is within his 1st Amendment right to speak, equally, the independent is no longer under any perceived threat of the union or a member of a union. Organized labor's declaration to take out, to deny the civil rights of the citizen, said citizen has now, the warranted 2nd Amendment right to exercise without prejudice at first sight of a union, member of or as a group to be understood, when in the presence of or approached by the union or member, to be in imminent threat to its person, family or property to act accordingly.

Seriously I can't take it anymore.  Is this for real or is this some kind of sick gag?  Are you using Google translate to convert Romanian into English?  Just let us know what the deal is.  We will help you.  Every time I read these posts I worry.  We just want to help.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 11:32:53 PM »

Don't see anything wrong with it. Republicans can't go around killing off poors and then act all out-raged when someone mentions that it's happening.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 11:44:17 PM »

Why would anything he said be unacceptable? Because it makes conservatives and libertarians uncomfortable to think about? Because it doesn't involve working people getting on their knees and accepting whatever managers and corporate leaders decide upon? There is indeed a war on the working class and organized labor going on in this country and it's a good thing someone's talking about it.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 11:48:24 PM »

Yawn. It's a shame but the dangerous rhetoric from the Left in this country is entirely predictable these days. But please remember: the thugs saying this type of stuff are by no means as threatening as the 60-something Grandmom and Grandpop that fly a Gadsden flag and talk about violent ideas like a balanced budget.  Shocked
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 11:52:12 PM »

Why would anything he said be unacceptable? Because it makes conservatives and libertarians uncomfortable to think about? Because it doesn't involve working people getting on their knees and accepting whatever managers and corporate leaders decide upon? There is indeed a war on the working class and organized labor going on in this country and it's a good thing someone's talking about it.

I'm also glad somebody is talking about it and isn't afraid to use a little hyperbole to get the working people fired up.

I think the Tea Partiers and white collar Republicans are terrified because the "REAL 'MURICANS" aren't actually the people sitting on their electric scooters wearing funny costumes and telling government to stay out of their medicare... but the people who actually work installing their plumbing and electric lines and providing them high speed internet and paving the roads they drive on and teaching their children and keeping the streets safe and putting out your house fire and caring for you when you are sick...

They should be scared of what happens when you push "REAL 'MURICANS" too far.  They tend to give in for a while... and then snap.  And they won't be wearing tri-cornered hats and complaining about the deficit.  They'll be the ones who finally make a charge at the Tea Party only to watch as the Tea Party, with all its grandstanding and big talk, cower away like the spoiled adult children that they are.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 11:52:42 PM »

And yes.. I am aware of just how hackish that post is Wink
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2011, 11:55:36 PM »

When someone ends up dead or seriously injured in Mr. Hoffa's war, will the President and his party then say that he has gone too far? Unfortunately, it will be too late by then.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2011, 12:07:22 AM »

I am upset with this

The correct grammar is "sons of bitches" not "son of bitches"

Obama should have pointed this out
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2011, 12:08:42 AM »

The correct grammar is "sons of bitches" not "son of bitches"

Yeah, that's the first thing I noticed, too. But we shouldn't expect much of the barbarians.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2011, 12:09:55 AM »

Yawn. It's a shame but the dangerous rhetoric from the Left in this country is entirely predictable these days. But please remember: the thugs saying this type of stuff are by no means as threatening as the 60-something Grandmom and Grandpop that fly a Gadsden flag and talk about violent ideas like a balanced budget.  Shocked

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2011, 12:13:37 AM »

Ah, yes. Here comes Tea Party picture time!

At best, BRTD, prominent people on the Left are now using the same rhetoric that a few lunatics on the Right have chosen to use. Not exactly something to embrace.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2011, 12:13:58 AM »

When someone ends up dead or seriously injured in Mr. Hoffa's war, will the President and his party then say that he has gone too far? Unfortunately, it will be too late by then.

Many people have already died in this war. Their sh*t healthcare didn't provide the treatment they needed for the injury or sickness they developed as a result of their job.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies