9/11 Ten Years Later (CONCLUSION)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:59:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  9/11 Ten Years Later (CONCLUSION)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 9/11 Ten Years Later (CONCLUSION)  (Read 4209 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2011, 07:50:33 PM »

I love that in Naso's cheerful narration you can get brief glimpses that something terrible might have been happening. It's really a masterpiece of storytelling.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2011, 08:26:39 PM »

I think I already saw this movie.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2011, 08:45:49 PM »

I think you meant "Too long; not a patriot."

That I am not an American patriot? No s**t, Sherlock.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2011, 09:04:13 PM »

I love that in Naso's cheerful narration you can get brief glimpses that something terrible might have been happening. It's really a masterpiece of storytelling.

Please elaborate.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2011, 09:23:54 PM »

Naso, he's a movie coming out in December you may enjoy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extremely_Loud_and_Incredibly_Close_%28film%29

Has the great Tom Hanks and Sandra Bullock in it.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2011, 01:25:00 AM »

It's been a decade since that fateful day when 767 jetliners exploded through skyscrapers, when some of the world's tallest buildings filled with people came crumbling to the ground, and since America and the world changed.

Indeed, I don't know if December 7, 1951 felt as recent to the 1941 Japanese attack as September 11th does today. Perhaps in today's media-crazed world of 24/7 news networks, talk radio, and the internet has made the years since that fateful September day move by faster or if the sense of sorrow and loss was so significant that not even a decade removed can take away the grief and shock that we remember from that day.

Our lives and our country were changed in ways we could not imagine. I spent most of this post speaking about the impact 9/11 had on me personally as it came at a very changing time in my life. However, you are left to ponder what exactly 9/11 did to our country.

Some made argue that 9/11 gave America a "blank check" to seek and destroy, to violate people's rights and to try and set a New World Order. They turn to the Bush Administration, the War in Iraq, and the Patriot Act as prime examples of this. But it must not be looked upon that way. See, that is what the terrorists wanted. They wanted us to abandon our love of country and what we stand for and begin to believe that in protecting our homeland we were destroying ourselves. It was a way of terrorists hoping we played mind games to think that they began the beginning of the end of the United States.

What we must realize is that we came to see what was at risk. You think of the children who were born without fathers. You think of the widows. You think of the people who never knew who Osama bin laden was or what 9/11 was or what Ground Zero was. You think of a stewardess who woke up on a Tuesday morning in Boston planning to arrive later that day in Los Angeles having no idea that she would die a few hours later in downtown New York at the World Trade Center. You think about passengers on United Airlines 93 who had never heard of Shanksville, Pennsylvania. You think of the office worker who had made a new friend Monday, only to hear later they died in the Tuesday attacks. It boggles the mind. It makes you ask what should be done? How can we recover?

How did we recover? Vigilance and strength. We stayed strong. We remained vigilant. Through all of the color coded warnings and attempted and prevented attacks and all of the political rhetoric, we remained strong. We didn't collapse into anarchy or civil war like many other nations would have done under the circumstances. We did what we had to do.

Let us not forget the date of September 11, 2001. Let us mourn those lost, and be vigilant and strong in these challenging times.

A man does what he must - in spite of personal consequences, in spite of obstacles and dangers and pressures - and that is the basis of all human morality.
Winston Churchill
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2013, 01:00:10 AM »

Visiting this thread at random, I must admit even though I don't wish to sound selfish or egotistical, but I do feel this thread is the top echelon of Naso Threads.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2013, 07:25:13 AM »

Visiting this thread at random, I must admit even though I don't wish to sound selfish or egotistical, but I do feel this thread is the top echelon of Naso Threads.

Authors do not get to pick what everyone considers their greatest work, corny young man.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2013, 07:57:48 PM »

Authors do not get to pick what everyone considers their greatest work, corny young man.
This is Naso's Magnum Opus, no doubt.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2013, 03:50:46 PM »

This is Naso's Magnum Opus, no doubt.

Graci.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2013, 07:40:12 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2013, 07:45:45 PM by Torie »

That last post of Naso's read like wave the flag patriotic boilerplate with no ultimate meaning. It is also wrong. The terrorists were not in the business of getting Americans to cease "loving their country." It was more about punishing them for the US intermeddling in their neck of the woods, and to get the US to get the F out. It was payback time. It was about the shedding of someone else's blood whom they viewed as having caused the shedding of theirs.

You did a nice story telling job however Naso as to what came before. I was reading about an America I never really knew, or identified with, while so many others have. It was about your personal experiences, and because you are adventurous, and just go for it, you actually have those experiences. That is your biggest character strength I suspect. Hopefully you will use it wisely and to your advantage.

Oh, and kudos for actually hosting your thread this time, rather than just putting it up, and disappearing. This place at its best is about interactive conversation. I sometimes get the impression you just don't give a damn how others react, or what they think. All you care about is what you think and how you react - a form of narcissism. That point of view can be a strength (an ability to stand up to or ignore the mob or cw), but also a weakness. It requires good judgment to make that work out reasonably well.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2013, 12:38:21 AM »

http://youtu.be/5UHmaseeujM
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies