The Quayle Presidency
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:50:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Quayle Presidency
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: The Quayle Presidency  (Read 11771 times)
Captain Chaos
GZ67
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2012, 09:28:02 PM »

Hugh G. Rection? LOL
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2012, 11:54:16 PM »

This Is great!
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2012, 01:51:22 PM »
« Edited: January 24, 2012, 02:04:45 PM by Reaganfan »

October 11, 2001. It's been one month since 9/11 and America is hurting but trying to recover.

The day following his address to troops at Fort Bragg in North Carolina, Dan Quayle walks into the Oval Office. As he enters, C.I.A. Director George Tenet is standing, nervous, arms tensely holding a folder.

Quayle: George. What's up?
Tenet: Mr. President, I have something very serious that requires your immediate attention.
Quayle: Of course, George.
Tenet: Sir, through one of our undercover agents, we've received credible evidence that an old Russian nuclear device has been successfully smuggled into New York.
Quayle: Are you sure?
Tenet: As sure as we can be, sir.
Quayle: What's our game plan, here, George?
Tenet: Sir we currently have Scientists in civilian clothes throughout the city. They have designated radiological equipment and are searching for the device.
Quayle: Do we have any hard evidence of when the attack might occur?
Tenet: No sir, other than it may be "imminent".
Quayle: Is New York the only target?
Tenet: Sir some evidence says that Washington may be as well, but we don't have any substantial evidence of this.
Quayle: Okay, I want the Vice President on the phone now. Get key Congressional leaders informed and use whatever manpower you have to in order to resolve the situation.
Tenet: Yes sir.

Quayle picks up the phone and informs Schwarzkopf. The two share a private conversation.

Schwarzkopf: How about you, sir, are you alright?
Quayle: Norm...if they get me...if they kill me...you have to come to play. This struggle is so much bigger in the long-term prospects for America.
Schwarzkopf: I understand, Mr. President.

Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2012, 01:13:43 AM »

The President sits at his desk in the Oval Office, and sighs. Dan Quayle realizes that he has a decision to make. Should he travel to Europe with the imminent threat of a nuclear attack? Is Schwarzkopf secure enough to hold down the fort until Quayle returns in the event of an attack? Would it look weak to have a second wave attack and have Quayle overseas? First Lady Marilyn Quayle walks in.

Quayle: Hi sweetheart.
Marilyn: How are you?
Quayle: I'm stunned.
Marilyn: Stunned? About what?
Quayle: (shakes head) Just what a burden this job is.
Marilyn: You knew it wasn't going to be easy.
Quayle: I know that. I knew that when I ran. I guess I thought that if I somehow beat Gore, I'd be in a position to stick it to my critics. Show them they were wrong.
Marilyn: Sweetheart, you're doing it. America's standing behind you. I read today that they say you're the most popular President in modern history.
Quayle: Yeah but all this came at the cost of war, and the loss of so many innocent people. I guess I'm doing my best under the circumstances, but the circumstances are just so enormous.
Marilyn: Dan, just keep doing what you're doing. Help lead America through this national catastrophe. Get those who did this to us, and be yourself.
Quayle: I love you, Marilyn.
Marilyn: I love you, too.

President Quayle receives word that the information regarding the smuggled Russian bomb was not true. He is relieved and has just enough time to travel to Europe to meet with Tony Blair. As October 2001 winds down, President Quayle addresses the nation and reminds them that while we are victorious on many fronts in Afghanistan, the war will be a long, trying test for America.

--------------------------

President Quayle walks into the Situation Room around 9am Monday morning. Vice President Schwarzkopf is waiting. They shake hands.

Quayle: How have you been, Norm?
Schwarzkopf: Mr. President, I can't tell you...they haven't disclosed the locations to me, either.

Both men chuckle. For nearly two months, the Vice President has been in and out of undisclosed locations, and with the anthrax scare, America is still on edge. Suddenly, Chief of Staff James Baker slips a note to the President just as he sits down. The note reads: "A plane has just crashed in New York."

President Quayle rushes to receive more information and calls New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani.

Giuliani: Hello Mr. President.
Quayle: Mr. Mayor, I wanted to let you know that this office and the FBI are on top of the situation.
Giuliani: Thank you sir, it looks like they either blew up the aircraft over Queens or crashed it deliberately.
Quayle: Early FBI intelligence indicates an explosion on board.
Giuliani: The Empire State Building has begun an evacuation, it looks like this could be a second wave, sir.
Quayle: Yeah, I think it is. Alright Mr. Mayor, keep in touch.
Giuliani: Thank you, Mr. President.

Quayle decides immediately that he wants to travel to New York. The Secret Service and his cabinet strongly disagree. They fear it's too early. If it is terrorism, the President could be at risk. If it isn't, it could be seen as jumping to conclusions. The President eventually concedes to stay in Washington and release a statement.

It turns out later in the day that the crash of the plane appears to be pilot error rather than a terrorist attack. Nevertheless, Quayle flies to New York City the following day to meet with victims and rescue workers in the Belle Harbor section of Queens. Cameras show Quayle consoling the families of some of the victims.

CHRIS MATTHEWS - HARDBALL - TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 13, 2001

Matthews: Remember four years ago in the film "Con-Air", when Nicolas Cage's character proclaims that he was going to "save the f-ing day"? Well in a strange real-life twist of fate, Dan Quayle, a laughing stock even less than a year ago, has transformed from Commander in Chief to Consoler in Chief. Visiting with the victims of Monday's devastating plane crash in Queens, New York today, President Quayle once again was the shoulder to cry on. He's finding time to look Presidential, look like a wartime Commander in Chief and still be a compassionate leader when the times call for it, which these days, appear to be every single week. I'm joined now by Howard Fineman from Newsweek.

Howard, we spoke shortly after September 11th and talked about the apparent transformation of Dan Quayle. What in the two months since the attacks have you noticed?

Fineman: Well Chris, first of all the spike in popularity he received after the attacks hasn't decreased. In fact, in late September he was at 89%, today's Gallup poll shows him at 92%. He has the highest approval rating of any President ever recorded.

Matthews: That goes back to F.D.R, right?

Fineman: That's right. Bush was at 89% in 1991 after the victories in the Gulf War, but Quayle's popularity is rising despite time having been passing since the attacks which leads me to believe this has changed from rallying around the "President" to actually rallying behind "Quayle" himself.

Matthews: What are the political implications of such popularity?

Fineman: Well luckily for Democrats the election for President is still three years away, but obviously if this type of popularity continues it will be very hard for Democrats to be successful in Congress or defeating Quayle in 2004.

Matthews: Do you see anybody right now, on the Democratic side, that could be a political counterpart to Quayle?

Fineman: Well Al Gore told staffers close to him the day after the election that his winning the popular vote gave him confidence for a potential 2004 candidacy. Obviously, if the election were held today I don't think Gore would even come close to 100 electoral votes, let alone 270. John Kerry of course didn't do much good against Schwarzkopf in the Vice Presidential debate last year, and even though I actually expect a Kerry candidacy, I think his chances would be marginal at best against President Quayle.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2012, 07:25:06 PM »

Maybe 2002 is a better year for the GOP?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2012, 02:58:56 PM »

Maybe 2002 is a better year for the GOP?

You shall wait and you shall see.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2012, 08:17:20 PM »

I shall Wink
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2012, 05:35:24 AM »

2002 was ushered in with sadness. America was still mourning the lives of thousands who were murdered in a sneak attack by terrorists. Airplanes crashed, worse than that, they were deliberately crashed. Worse than that, they were deliberately crashed into skyscrapers causing them to collapse to the ground. America was scarred.

U.S. President Dan Quayle entered the year with the overwhelming support of around 83% of Americans. Vice President Schwarzkopf, better known as "Stormin' Norman" was just as popular, as was the entire war cabinet, made up of Dick Cheney, Brent Scowcroft and Colin Powell. Indeed, the Quayle years which began with no mandate, a peacetime domestic agenda and the likelihood of a mocked, insignificant four year Presidency now appeared destined to become a historic, significant potential eight year wartime Presidency.

As President Quayle watched in horror, U.S. journalist Daniel Pearl was beheaded on tape. Quayle and some key National Security staffers watched in agony the brutal act, spliced with images of "brutal" Israeli soldiers and Dan Quayle shaking hands with Ariel Sharon.

Quayle knew this was a different type of war. It had always been there, atleast in the past 10 years or so, but now it was real. Now it was brought here to America. The fate of Israel, the United States, and free people everywhere depended on winning the War on Terrorism.

"America's lasting promise to the world is to spread liberty, hope, democracy, and freedom. This torch behind me represents the best of America. It represents immigrants who came to this country with empty pockets but full of optimism. It represents soldiers who have raised the flag on embattled islands, and firefighters who raised the flag on soil that was their own. America's light shines brighter than ever, her promise as true as the day of our declaration, that all men are created equal, and we are all endowed by our Creator with certain unalienable Rights, among them Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. In those words we can look with pride at our country and proudly celebrate our Independence Day."

- President Dan Quayle, at Statue of Liberty
July 4, 2002

Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2012, 09:12:09 AM »

September 4, 2002

Dan Quayle sits in the Situation Room, along with Defense Secretary Dick Cheney, National Security Advisor Brent Scowcroft, Secretary of State Colin Powell CIA Director George Tenet, and Vice President Norman Schwarzkopf.

Quayle: Gentlemen, over nearly the past year, we've crippled the Taliban regime in Afghanistan. We've pushed them out of Kabul, but it is still a very dangerous area. Operation Anaconda took care of 500 Taliban. Wiped the out. But the Taliban aren't like the Nazis. They won't just surrender and be gone. These people have villages they return home to, people they know. The network is still functioning and is still a threat to America.

Cheney: Sir, I think we should look beyond Al Qaida. Let's look at Iraq, let's look at Iran, let's look at North Korea. Take all our enemies off the table.

Quayle: Point well taken, Dick.

Powell: Sir, I still say we should look at Al Qaida in other parts of the world, North Africa, Yemen, these areas could soon become safe harbors for Al Qaida.

Quayle: George, what's the latest intelligence?

Tenet: Sir, our threat warnings are off the charts. We keep getting intelligence from places all over the world. Something big is coming again. A second wave, so to speak.

Quayle: Any leads?

Tenet: No sir.

Quayle: Maybe we need a Homeland Security department.

Tenet: Sir, even if we had a Department of Homeland Security, it wouldn't assure that the risk goes down.

Quayle: What are we looking at as far as threats go?

Tenet: Sir, I've got airplanes flying into buildings, threats against apartments in New York, I mean the list goes on and on I we don't have enough intelligence to connect the dots.

Quayle: Look George, whatever you need, you just name it. We cannot allow another attack. It would be devastating.

Schwarzkopf: Sir, I say we keep up air strikes against Al Qaida targets. Keep them running, keep them hiding, and keep moving on any new Intel that might come in.

Quayle: Agree, what say you Brent?

Scowcroft: Couldn't agree more, Mr. President.

Quayle: George, what's you latest intel on Osama bin Laden?

Tenet: No idea where he might be, sir.

Quayle: Well I want to be clear, George. The previous administration may have been afraid to kill bin Laden outright and make it look like they were on an assassination mission, but I'm not. Understood?

Tenet: Yes, sir.

Quayle: If we have him in our scopes, we pull the trigger, understood?

Tenet: Yes, sir.

By October 2002, air strikes continue against Al Qaida targets throughout stronghold areas in the Mountains of Afghanistan. Sniper attacks begin in the Washington, D.C. area. People are afraid to pump gas into their vehicles. Innocent Americans are being killed, and those living are living with the terror of wondering if they will suddenly be shot. At times, it seems like the whole world is closing in on America, and on the President, Dan Quayle.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2012, 05:54:09 PM »

Go Quayle ( Surprise?)
MIKESOWELL
United States

« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2012, 10:19:24 PM »

Great timeline.