Official Discussion Thread for President Obama's Jobs Speech
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 15, 2024, 11:17:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Official Discussion Thread for President Obama's Jobs Speech
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: Official Discussion Thread for President Obama's Jobs Speech  (Read 6311 times)
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2011, 06:55:01 PM »

I'll give it around a B.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2011, 06:57:05 PM »

"Recession avoidance plan rather then a job creation plan" - I think Anthony Mason of CBS.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2011, 07:05:16 PM »

Yep, definitely the best speech he's given in a long time, both in delivery and tactic.

Actually, I thought it was his worst speeches.  The last five minutes were good, but is substance, more of the same.  A few things might get passed, but it is DOA.

Obama has lost the magic.

Homeland Security now talking about a plot to plant car bombs in NYC and DC.

Respectfully, that's rubbish (albeit your view)

If you don't see the political tactic in this and HOW badly this could backfire on the GOP then...

Respectfully, it is recycled failure tactic.  Too much emphasis on construction, and "Shovel ready wasn't as shovel ready as they thought."

It sold in 2009, but nobody will buy it in 2012.  Nothing fails like failure.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2011, 07:07:15 PM »

I haven't seen it yet, but from what i've read, he's trying to play the GOP at their own game. He's made it as nice for the GOP as it can be, so if they don't pass it, they'll look like the obstructionists that they are.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2011, 07:08:43 PM »

Yep, definitely the best speech he's given in a long time, both in delivery and tactic.

Actually, I thought it was his worst speeches.  The last five minutes were good, but is substance, more of the same.  A few things might get passed, but it is DOA.

If you don't see the political tactic in this and HOW badly this could backfire on the GOP then...

Respectfully, it is recycled failure tactic.  Too much emphasis on construction, and "Shovel ready wasn't as shovel ready as they thought."

My view is that there wasn't enough emphasis on infrastructure spending in the last package.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #80 on: September 08, 2011, 07:16:09 PM »

My view is that there wasn't enough emphasis on infrastructure spending in the last package.

In Obama's view, it was not speedy enough to stimulate the economy, hence the quote, though I he said "we."  I didn't say it; Obama did.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #81 on: September 08, 2011, 07:18:38 PM »

I wasn't making comment on the speech, I have always thought that.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #82 on: September 08, 2011, 07:20:24 PM »

I haven't seen it yet, but from what i've read, he's trying to play the GOP at their own game. He's made it as nice for the GOP as it can be, so if they don't pass it, they'll look like the obstructionists that they are.

I'm not sure they have any sense of embarrassment at this point, though.

I thought the speech was fairly good, overall. Whether it leads to actual results is difficult to say.
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #83 on: September 08, 2011, 07:20:32 PM »

He sounded like a Republican. But I guess that was the point.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2011, 07:22:13 PM »

Obama's posturing here is beautiful.

He made a series of moderate proposals, citing each time how the specifics were supported by the GOP. He highlighted the need for bipartisan compromise, and the devastating effects that would result if Congress did nothing. He made strong cases on every topic. He's calling for everything to be paid for in full by additional cuts made by the supercommittee- and next week will be sending them a specific proposal of cuts to pay for the program in full plus another trillion dollars on top of that.

If the GOP agrees with the plan, then their "cause gridlock in Washington so confidence stays low and the economy stays bad" strategy fails completely and Obama wins reelection. If the GOP doesn't agree to the proposals, Obama can clearly illustrate how he charged Congressional Republicans to fix the economy but they did nothing- putting the blame firmly on their shoulders and causing a huge swing against the GOP in 2012.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2011, 07:24:37 PM »

I agree, it's tactically magnificent.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2011, 07:25:13 PM »

I can agree with that assessment. Strategic brilliance.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #87 on: September 08, 2011, 07:32:53 PM »

Just watching it now.

"How can we let our kids learn in places that are literally falling down?" *Republicans remain poker faced*

Gotta laugh.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #88 on: September 08, 2011, 07:38:41 PM »

I wasn't making comment on the speech, I have always thought that.

The problem is, he tried that, and for whatever reason, it failed to stimulate the economy.  Some of that is that construction only stimulates a small section of the economy directly, and only for a short amount of time.

The problem with leading off with that is the simple reason that it was tried, Obama was for it, Congress passed it, and it was implemented, and the economy is worse off.

The 2009 Stimulis Act was passed in February 2009.  Unemployment was 8.20%  2 1/2 years later, what is the unemployment rate?

About the only thing it did was prevent deflation (which was an economic positive, but I'd hate to run on it).  We have no problem with deflation today.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #89 on: September 08, 2011, 07:45:52 PM »

He began talking about structural economic problems but then spent most of the time talking about counter-cyclical solutions. It sounds like he wants to pay for a short-term jobs policy by equivalent spending cuts/revenue over a much longer term - not at all helpful from a structural point of view.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #90 on: September 08, 2011, 07:50:21 PM »

Now Obama has to hope the GOP doesn't play ball and pass this.  Because this isn't a job maker, it might not even stave a recession off at all.  If that happens, Obama's ass is in a sling.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #91 on: September 08, 2011, 08:02:20 PM »

That was rather impressive, or better than I expected anyway. Obama will have calmed the nerves over his ability to fix things/win in 2012 a tad.

He's finally taken the strategy which he should've since January though, which I was happy about - if GOP block it, then it's their fault, and their fault alone, when the economy goes down the crapper.

He really put last night's debaters to shame, not that that would've been difficult.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: September 08, 2011, 08:12:01 PM »

Now Obama has to hope the GOP doesn't play ball and pass this.  Because this isn't a job maker, it might not even stave a recession off at all.  If that happens, Obama's ass is in a sling.

If this passes on a broad bipartisan basis I think it'll do a lot of good for the economy indirectly- renewed confidence from seeing strong Presidential leadership and a bipartisan Congressional effort to fix the country will greatly break the "mental recession." Also, especially cutting the payroll tax in half for everyone will definitely drive up consumer spending.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #93 on: September 08, 2011, 08:17:55 PM »

Is Ryan sleeping? Mainly good ideas, but how will we pay for it? Infrastructure and schools warms the cockles of my heart.

More borrowing now and higher taxes later (and higher inflation later if the Fed is somehow forced into a corner for political reasons (e.g., Nixon/Burns))
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #94 on: September 08, 2011, 08:19:22 PM »

I think that is the problem for Obama.  Cantor was just on Fox and said that he could embrace some of it.

I'm think about a "half a loaf" situation.  The R's adopt some of it, it gets passed.  Okay, it doesn't work.  Here is the R's line:

"1.  Obama and Pelosi gave us stimulus (Porkulus).  It failed.

2.  Obama insisted that stimulus II (Son of Porkulus).  He got most of what he wanted.  It failed.

Obama failed."

Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #95 on: September 08, 2011, 08:19:35 PM »
« Edited: September 08, 2011, 08:22:12 PM by Politico »

The Democrats don't even seem enthusiastic for much of this.

Because nobody is willing to give Obama the memo that he's finished. It is painful seeing him cling to this delusional belief this entire bill is going to pass. The good parts will pass, and the exuberant parts will not.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #96 on: September 08, 2011, 08:20:42 PM »

I was pretty pleased.  He seemed fired up, which is a nice change.  Hopefully a good deal of what he proposed will get passed, though I'm not optimistic.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #97 on: September 08, 2011, 08:21:43 PM »

If this passes on a broad bipartisan basis I think it'll do a lot of good for the economy indirectly- renewed confidence from seeing strong Presidential leadership and a bipartisan Congressional effort to fix the country will greatly break the "mental recession." Also, especially cutting the payroll tax in half for everyone will definitely drive up consumer spending.

Because the early 2008 stimulus really helped the economy and lifted consumer confidence. 
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: September 08, 2011, 08:22:19 PM »

Is Ryan sleeping? Mainly good ideas, but how will we pay for it? Infrastructure and schools warms the cockles of my heart.

More borrowing now and higher taxes later (and higher inflation later if the Fed is somehow forced into a corner for political reasons (e.g., Nixon/Burns))

Again: Obama specified that the entire cost for this project was going to come out of the $1.5 trillion in new cuts he's calling for by Christmas. And that he's going to release a specific proposal for these cuts next week.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #99 on: September 08, 2011, 08:24:07 PM »

"He acknowledged that Congress had little appetite for spending that isn’t eventually paid for and pledged to provide a plan on Sept. 19 that would pay for his jobs package. "

Is this a joke?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies