Office of (former) Northeast Speaker Scott
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:15:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of (former) Northeast Speaker Scott
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Office of (former) Northeast Speaker Scott  (Read 3986 times)
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 08, 2011, 09:28:04 PM »
« edited: February 20, 2012, 06:28:46 PM by Senator-elect Scott »

Welcome to my office.  Here is a great place to read about my voting record (updated routinely), my work as Speaker, and reactions to things happening in the Assembly.

Feel free to ask me any questions!
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 09:29:30 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2012, 10:49:11 PM by Northeast Speaker Scott »

Legislative Record

Legislation Sponsored

Legislation Supported
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 09:42:06 PM »
« Edited: September 12, 2011, 06:48:04 PM by Scott »

Statement on passage of The Voluntary School Prayer Act

I was pleased to see the Northeast government successfully pass its first legislation of the session.  The freedom to pray where a person desires to is a right, and we should allow our schools to let their students pray.  Not only does the bill grant students the opportunity to pray before classes begin, but it allows them to schedule one additional minute of non-led prayer during the day.  The bill is religion-neutral and does not pressure students to subscribe to any particular belief.

-Representative Scott
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 09:52:25 PM »
« Edited: September 12, 2011, 06:47:49 PM by Scott »

Statement on proposal of The Northeast Loan Administration Act

During rough economic times, banks are reluctant to issue loans to people, especially to low-income families.  They are jittery and uncertain about if the loans will be paid back.

A couple months ago I read a Newsweek article about some ideas former President Bill Clinton had in mind to stimulate the US economy, and one plan that caught my attention was his idea to save- not spend- money, and guarantee loans to banks and non-bank lending institutions, an idea similar to how the Small Business Administration works.  This way, lenders will be more likely to issue loans, and we can create millions of new jobs if we help this part of our economy.

I decided to put this idea into a bill for the Northeast region, and I am hopeful that it will be taken up by the Assembly soon.

-Representative Scott
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 06:46:57 PM »
« Edited: September 12, 2011, 06:50:09 PM by Scott »

Statement on defeat of revised Constitution

I was very disappointed to see Senator Napoleon's proposed Constitution fail to attain the supermajority necessary to pass.  Sadly, only a few of our Representatives, plus Governor Winfield and Senator Napoleon, participated in the discussion and in creating the positive changes that were made to the bill.  When the vote came, it only got three votes: all 'aye' ones, but still short of the votes needed.  I am hopeful that the bill that wasn't successful today will be reconsidered in the near future.

I encourage all our Representatives to participate in future debates and votes, especially if they are for something as important as our region's Constitution.  We simply owe it to our constituents.

-Representative Scott
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 07:17:28 PM »

The office is impressive. Smiley
I do hope you seek another term as you've done some tremendous work (although I'd like to know more about the current bill's expected impact).
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 07:24:55 PM »

The office is impressive. Smiley
I do hope you seek another term as you've done some tremendous work (although I'd like to know more about the current bill's expected impact).
Thank you. Smiley  I plan on it.

The bill's expected impact is to encourage lending (resulting in job creation) by telling the lending entities that they are guaranteed to get a minimum of 75% of the money back, so that even if a client defaults, it wouldn't be a total loss for them.   Do you have any specific questions regarding the bill?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 09:41:44 PM »

I have officially announced my intention to run for reelection.

Endorsements will be appreciated. Smiley
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 09:43:20 PM »

I will be running for reelection for my Northeast Assembly seat.

Endorsed 100%
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 09:45:54 PM »
« Edited: October 08, 2011, 07:02:23 PM by Scott »

Endorsements
Speaker Cincinnatus
Senator Napoleon
Lieutenant Governor Simfan34
Governor Winfield
At-large Senator Kalwejt
Representative Snowstalker
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 04:28:46 PM »

Obviously endorsed, keep up the great work.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 05:33:51 PM »

You have my endorsement.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 07:39:38 PM »

Endorsed!
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 09:33:25 PM »

Statement on withdrawal of Northeast Loan and Administration Act and proposal of the Castle Law

Unfortunately, after some debate following my proposal of The Northeast Loan and Administration Act, I did not see many chances of the bill passing.  The bill was written with positive intentions, but I think it is clear that the Assembly does not believe this is the best approach to reforming our lending industry.  I hope to propose or see new legislation addressing this issue in the near future.

Today I have proposed a new piece of legislation that is designed to protect owners of homes, businesses, vehicles, and pets in accordance with what is known as the 'Castle Doctrine'.  The Castle Doctrine designates a person's property as one's "castle", and that the owners of the property have every right to defend his or her castle, by any means necessary, including deadly force.  The region should not punish people who wish to defend their property, and I believe this legislation will not only make our laws fair, but send a message to offenders: this region will not give them legal protection from people who wish to defend themselves.

-Representative Scott
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 09:21:29 PM »
« Edited: September 16, 2011, 09:40:35 PM by Scott »

Statement on passage of The Food Donation Protection Act

Another great bipartisan accomplishment for the General Assembly today.  Now our region's food providers can easily donate unwanted items that comply with safety regulations.  I was also pleased to see a very large increase in turnout, this time, as the bill passed hours after it was put up for a vote.

I would also like to congratulate Senator Napoleon on his confirmation to the Wiki Reform Commission.

-Representative Scott
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 06:06:22 PM »
« Edited: September 20, 2011, 06:19:47 PM by Scott »

Statement on proposal of the LEARN Act

My dear constituents,

As you all know, we are currently living in a very important time: the digital age.  In a time of an ever-growing world economy and new technology, it is more important than ever for us to make sure that our schools are successful in educating the new generation.

Today, I have proposed legislation that will make the Northeast the leading region in education.  If my legislation passes, students in grades 6-12 will be entitled to absolutely free laptops that will follow them until the end of high school.  If we transition our education system to something more technology-based, students of all incomes will have an unlimited amount of resources and a greater opportunity to succeed.  Plus, they will better prepared for living in the technology age.  We will train better readers, authors, researchers, scientists- the possibilities are unlimited!  Distributing these laptops will also allow students to sharpen up on their typing skills, improve organizational skills, and reduce the need for paper in the classroom.

To ensure that this legislation is fiscally responsible, we will only allow students to keep their laptops until the end of their high school education.  After a laptop is returned to the agency, it will be entrusted with another student.  Students will also be asked to maintain proper care of the devices, so that they may be used for years to come.  Eight years after the program is in effect, the government may decide whether or not it has proven to be sustainable enough to rely solely on the market.

This bill is a great chance for us to radically transform the way education is done in this region in an effective, fiscally responsible way.

Let's start here.  Let's start now.

-Representative Scott
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2011, 11:59:36 PM »
« Edited: September 24, 2011, 11:17:24 AM by Scott »

Statement on proposal of the Scott Doctrine

My dear constituents,

The Republic of Atlasia is currently facing a secession crisis.  As states of Happiness, Georgia, and Alabama have moved to dissolve our Union, our nation becomes weaker.  Though I respect the rights of each individual state and region to do as they please, they must prepare themselves to face all bloodshed, monetary loss, and execration that may come to them upon their actions.

It is necessary that our great region affirms our support for Atlasia.  That is why I have just proposed a new policy that shall signal our devotion to staying in the union, in the event that any one of our states considers secession.  It professes that states which choose to dissolve the Union, or this Region, will receive no diplomatic recognition, and that it shall be priority for this Region to sustain solidarity.

I strongly urge all members of the Assembly to vote for this policy.  If the Speaker feels it is necessary to bring this legislation to the floor immediately after the current bill being considered is voted on, I will stand by his decision 100%.  This is an emergency, and it is more important than ever that we establish an official policy regarding this, in a timely manner.

-Representative Scott
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 09:36:51 PM »

You have by far been one of the most productive and motivated member of the Assembly, and the region.  I will be giving you my first preference in the next Assembly election.  However, Governor Scott might be a more appropriate title, no?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 11:31:57 PM »

Thank you very much, Mr. Speaker. Smiley  You have done an eloquent job in the Assembly, yourself.  As for a gubernatorial run, now wouldn't be the time, however I plan on making one some time in the future.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2011, 03:16:36 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2011, 03:18:31 PM by Scott »

Statement on defeat of LEARN ACT

Unfortunately, from the votes I see coming in so far, I can tell that the Assembly will not be passing education reform at this time.  I hope the Assembly will be able to work on this issue again in the near future.  Laptop distribution is not a cause I will not declare dead, and I hope a new and improved bill may be written up soon in the next session or when I feel we will have enough support, especially from the progressives of the chamber that would be crucial in getting this passed.

There is no denying that technology is becoming more relevant in our daily lives, and we must take steps to improve education in this region.

-Representative Scott
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2011, 02:40:08 PM »

Statement on passage of the Scott Doctrine

Last night, the Region was successful in making the Scott Doctrine law of the land.  Though it was said, during the debate, that secession is already prohibited by the Atlasia and Northeast constitutions, I am glad we were able to have a debate and see who the real supporters of the Northeast Region are, as well as establish our position during the course of these ridiculous secession movements happening across Atlasia.  I understand, however, that a repeal effort is currently being brought up, of which I will strongly urge all members of the Assembly to oppose when it is brought up.  Let's continue to elect pro-union members to the chamber.

-Representative Scott
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2011, 10:45:16 PM »

Statement on the recent vacancy

I am sad to report that the governor has been forced to expel one of our members from the Assembly for inactivity.  Dodging any potential legal challenges, we will be having a special election on Tuesday, October 11th.  I strongly encourage those who are interested to run for the office, as long as they intend on being active debaters and voters.  I hope I will be able to make an endorsement in the following days.

-Representative Scott
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2011, 03:36:58 PM »

I will be endorsing 20RP12 for the special election.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2011, 09:15:20 PM »
« Edited: October 19, 2011, 09:17:02 PM by Scott »

Statement on proposal of The Healthy Students Act of 2011

First of all, I would like to say that I am very pleased that the Assembly was finally able to pass its renewed Constitution.  I believe that the bugs were fixed, and I am confident that it will pass when it goes to the Northeast voters.

Yesterday, I sponsored a bill that sets new standards for our schools.  The bill requires that all students take PE from kindergarten to the end of high school, so that we are consistent in our support of encouraging healthy, active lifestyles, and it disallows oily, fatty pre-packaged meals from being served to students in schools.  Furthermore, it requires that schools in the region start no earlier than 8:30, so that students (which are reportedly staying up much later nowadays) may sleep slightly later.

The medical provision of the bill makes it easier for students who are sick to get the medicine they need faster, without having to wait for a relative to bring the medicine down to the school, and lastly, it gives schools the option of dispensing condoms without having to worry about legal disputes for doing so.

I am hopeful that this legislation will pass.

-Representative Scott
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2011, 01:15:34 AM »

I've been informed that there is no law prohibiting the voting of the same people for multiple offices, therefore I will be accepting write-in votes for Lt. Governor as well.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies