Thoughts on "The Jennifer Act"? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:08:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Thoughts on "The Jennifer Act"? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Thoughts on "The Jennifer Act"?  (Read 5466 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« on: September 11, 2011, 10:54:25 AM »

I can sympathize with this, and I support improving access to treatment facilities, but I have a hard time supporting involuntary treatment facilities. It looks like someone can already be admitted involuntarily by family members going before a court, but this would allow more facilities for this.
How many of the people affected by this would be people that go to jail without it?
It's far better than incarceration, but I don't still see the justification for it if you believe in any type of personal autonomy.
The other thing I'm wondering - if the family can petition the court to put someone into treatment, can they pull them out if they decide it isn't working for them, or the program itself is harmful?  Not all people respond well to a particular treatment program.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 04:35:06 PM »

I absolutely support it.  It goes with my general philosophical standpoint that people, as a matter of principle, should not be able to make stupid decisions, and if they do, the power should exist to correct them.
Are you serious? As a general philosophical standpoint, who's to say what's stupid and what isn't? That presumes omniscience on the part of those in power.
It's one thing to say that someone should be able to step in when someone's judgment has been compromised though an addiction.
But saying people aren't ever allowed to make stupid decisions is pretty much the definition of totalitarianism.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies