Gun Control (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:56:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Gun Control (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gun Control  (Read 3170 times)
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: September 10, 2011, 03:29:01 PM »

The statistics you present do not make your argument for you. It is a logical fallacy. What is behind the gun related deaths? Self-defense during a home invasion? Homicide by an already illegal firearm? What you have presented actually has nothing to do with your topic. I read that and I think "So what?". There has to be something more.

Assuming those were real statistics they don't really take into account regional or racial differences either, which skew the crime rate statistics a lot in general for the US. Also:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/10/03/national/main576422.shtml
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 09:52:58 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2011, 09:56:51 PM by paul who is a ghost »

I'm generally supportive of gun rights as long as we aren't trying to legalize something dumb like allowing guns to be brought into bars.

What, you mean in places like Virginia where the number of gun crimes in bars went down after they legalized concealed carry there?
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 10:31:11 PM »

I'm generally supportive of gun rights as long as we aren't trying to legalize something dumb like allowing guns to be brought into bars.

What, you mean in places like Virginia where the number of gun crimes in bars went down after they legalized concealed carry there?

It dropped by a whopping eight crimes. I was unable to find the number for previous years before the 153-to-145 decline everyone is reporting but I doubt it's stastically significant. My opposition here is four years' worth of watching falling down drunks make fools of themselves. I don't want to picture people in that state of mind with guns.

Even assuming there was no statistically significant difference, doesn't that imply the law has no real justification since it didn't actually effect things much anyway? Shouldn't it be on the government to explain why it's absolutely necessary that something should be banned (at gun point, if it comes down to it), not on us to explain why it should be legal?
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 12:02:37 AM »

Lying sure is fun!  Unfortunately, claiming that the US has more gun-related homicides than the total homocide rate in Mexico (which bans guns!) just makes you look retarded.

I wonder where the nation neighboring ours with a very large border to us manages to find the guns they use in their criminal enterprises! Such are the mysteries of life!

The ATF?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies