Huntsman's Best Option
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 10:52:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Huntsman's Best Option
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Huntsman's Best Option  (Read 3279 times)
Progressive
jro660

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 13, 2011, 12:10:47 AM »

Is to drop out, endorse Rick Perry, and hope to be a VP nominee
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 12:13:27 AM »

Nah, it's too early for that. He needs to ride out his time in the spotlight for future campaign exposure. You don't become relevent in the Republican Party by bursting into the scene. He needs to be known for a longer period of time.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 12:23:40 AM »

Use the family wealth to build a time machine. Convince his past self not resign his post as ambassador.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 05:29:44 AM »

There actually could have been a viable path for him to the nomination.  The way I see it, he should have resigned as ambassador, then penned a tell-all book about all the abuses in the Obama administration.  Go after Vann Jones, all that crap.  "The President asked me to serve my country in China, and I did.  But I could not in good conscience continue serving in the worst administration in American history."  Talk about how Obama is the worst jobs President since Herbert Hoover.  After Obama releases his birth certificate, demand to see his academic records.  Basically, the Donald Trump route, but with executive and foreign policy experience.

Would it work?  Probably not.  And he probably wouldn't want to do it.  But hey, if he had hired me as a consultant instead of that wuss John Weaver, he might actually be at 5% in national polls.

He would kill any chances in 2016 or 2020.
milhouse24
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 12:01:08 PM »

He's just waiting for 2016
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 12:18:10 PM »

Wouldn't Perry prefer having Huntsman remain in as he takes some votes from Romney
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 04:07:38 PM »

Wouldn't Perry prefer having Huntsman remain in as he takes some votes from Romney

Yes, because the 15 people planning to vote for Jon Huntsman is so crippling for Romney.  Roll Eyes
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 04:17:33 PM »

I think Perry should try to gain the few votes instead of taking it away from Romney...though Perry may do better in a long primary season due to southern states
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 04:50:10 PM »

Yes, because the 15 people planning to vote for Jon Huntsman is so crippling for Romney.  Roll Eyes

To be fair, if we have close races in some states every vote counts. I'm guessing Romney will take virtually all of the Huntsman voters. That might be a crucial 2% in some Huntsman strongholds.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 05:12:32 PM »

There actually could have been a viable path for him to the nomination.  The way I see it, he should have resigned as ambassador, then penned a tell-all book about all the abuses in the Obama administration.  Go after Vann Jones, all that crap.  "The President asked me to serve my country in China, and I did.  But I could not in good conscience continue serving in the worst administration in American history."  Talk about how Obama is the worst jobs President since Herbert Hoover.  After Obama releases his birth certificate, demand to see his academic records.  Basically, the Donald Trump route, but with executive and foreign policy experience.

Would it work?  Probably not.  And he probably wouldn't want to do it.  But hey, if he had hired me as a consultant instead of that wuss John Weaver, he might actually be at 5% in national polls.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 05:35:02 PM »

Is to drop out, endorse Rick Perry, and hope to be a VP nominee

Drop out and endorse Romney; hope for a cabinet post.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 05:46:27 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2011, 05:48:49 PM by A Bushel of Common Sense »

I'm not sure. Debate performances seem to be hit-or-miss. His campaign is a mess- if I had my way I'd probably be spending five hours a day campaigning for him, but I'm yet to hear back from them, even after I not-so-subtly mentioned that I had been quoted in The Economist singing his praises. His best try would be a consistent message that is well-fleshed out and demonstrates consistent mastery of the issues. He talks about having those, but I only see him speak of his record. As good as that record is, it becomes repetitive rather quickly.

He needs to also find a good way to attack his opponents. He needs to keep in mind his message of civility (or is it a pledge, which he swore off of??), and he's clearly out of his element when he called Perry treasonous (which sounded half-serious, joke or not). He needs again, to be insightful and capable of bringing something new to the discussion, pointing out flaws and inconsistencies with the others. He needs to be able to defend and attack his opponents with history- i.e., quoting Reagan on the role of government, Social Security, amnesty, etc.

I don't see his campaign telling him to do that, and so I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion there is no option.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 05:48:51 PM »

Change parties.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 05:50:11 PM »

Looking at 2016, if he can present himself as a principled, pragmatic, reasonable moderate, and if Perry wins, he could have credibility to stage a primary attempt.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 06:16:31 PM »

I love Gallup’s “Positive Intensity Scores of Potential 2012 GOP Presidential Candidates” as they are “based on Republicans and Republican-leaning independents familiar with each candidate.”

The only candidate with a negative score was Jon Huntsman.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 11:33:57 PM »

In four years, China will be front and center in the public consciousness as they rival US for largest economy. If Obama wins another term, Huntsman can have a good shot at the nomination if he learns to play a little nicer with the cultural right and learn from his missteps. If Romney wins, maybe he can be Secretary of State and hope the country is still standing in 2020 for another go at it. I can't see him as VP to Romney and I don't think Perry can win a general election.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 12:47:37 AM »

If Rick Perry wins the nomination and Obama's up big in the polls next September Huntsman will endorse Obama.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 02:02:07 AM »

If Rick Perry wins the nomination and Obama's up big in the polls next September Huntsman will endorse Obama.

If he's re-elected, Obama needs a new Secretary of State anyway...
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2011, 02:25:38 AM »

Huntsman is going to keep portraying himself as a sane, experienced alternative to the frontrunners, staying in the race later than one normally would with his poll numbers; he'll try to maximize his name recognition and favoribility ratings.

Then he has multiple options to choose from:
  • If Obama's reelection looks unlikely, endorse the GOP nominee, speak at the convention, and try to get appointed SoS (or, worst case scenario, get his ambassador job back)
  • if Obama's reelection looks uncertain, unenthusiastically endorse GOP nominee; if Obama wins then he can position himself as a 2016 frontrunner and push the narrative early that the Republican candidate lost because of their extremism. If Obama loses, push strongly for a cabinet position and get old ambassador job as a consolation prize.
  • if Obama's reelection looks likely, endorse Obama and hold a big speech with him to make headlines. Probably get appointed SoS, or worst case scenario at least get ambassador job back.
Themistocles18
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2011, 08:31:35 AM »

Huntsman has no options.  Even 2016 is a fantasy with Christie on the left and Jindal, Rubio, and Ryan on the right.  His only good option is to stay in, go back on his civility schtick, talk about foreign policy constantly, and then endorse the front-runner hoping for Secretary of State.  I don't think that Romney's so petty that he wouldn't consider Huntsman for the position, if Huntsman through an endorsement his way at a critical moment.  Not that Huntsman has influence, but he could make the voters on Romney's left (all 5% of them) more enthusiastic about Mitt.  Or he could de-radicalize Perry for some primary voters. 
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2011, 10:25:01 AM »

Huntsman's best scenario is the GOP nominates someone other than Romney and loses in a blowout to a still unpopular Obama with a poor economy. Then he can make the claim that nominating a far right candidate is suicide. If Romney is nominated and loses, the base will say "look, we nominated 2 moderates in both 2008 and 2012 and we lost." He'd have no chance.

But 2016 will likely be Christie's year unless he suddenly becomes unpopular and loses reelection.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2011, 02:11:35 PM »

Huntsman's best scenario is the GOP nominates someone other than Romney and loses in a blowout to a still unpopular Obama with a poor economy. Then he can make the claim that nominating a far right candidate is suicide. If Romney is nominated and loses, the base will say "look, we nominated 2 moderates in both 2008 and 2012 and we lost." He'd have no chance.

But 2016 will likely be Christie's year unless he suddenly becomes unpopular and loses reelection.

Chris Christie may have just lost my vote.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2011, 03:24:53 PM »

Drop out after Nevada, endorse Perry.  Hope to land a nice post like ambassador to China in return.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies