Lessons From the Israeli Embassy Takeover in Egypt
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:48:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Lessons From the Israeli Embassy Takeover in Egypt
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Lessons From the Israeli Embassy Takeover in Egypt  (Read 1501 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 13, 2011, 12:20:14 PM »
« edited: September 13, 2011, 12:26:01 PM by jmfcst »

By Caroline Glick

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2011/09/13/lessons_from_the_egypt_embassy_takeover_111314.html

We are able to consider the lessons of the weekend's mob assault on the Israeli embassy in Cairo because the six Israeli security officers who were on the brink of being slaughtered were rescued at the last moment and spirited out of the country. If the Egyptian commandos hadn't arrived on the scene at the last moment, the situation would have been too explosive for a sober-minded assessment of the rapidly deteriorating situation with our neighbor to the south.

Any assessment of the weekend's events must begin by recounting a few key aspects of the assault. First, this was the second mob attack on the embassy in so many weeks. During the first assault, an Egyptian rioter scaled the 20-story building where the embassy is housed, tore down the Israeli flag, and threw it to the frenzied mob below which swiftly burned it. Rather than being arrested for the crime of assaulting a foreign embassy, the rioter was embraced as a hero by Egypt's military regime. The governor of Giza awarded him an apartment and a job.
Second, for six hours after the assault on the embassy began on Friday evening, Israel's leaders tried desperately to contact the leaders of the Egyptian military junta to request their intercession on behalf of the trapped security officers.

Field Marshal Muhammad Tantawi refused to speak with either Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu or Defense Minister Ehud Barak.

Third, Egyptians authorities refused to intervene to save the lives of the Israeli security officers until after the Americans intervened directly on their behalf.

That is, Israel's entreaties, and Egypt's international legal obligations were insufficient to move the Egyptian authorities to act to save the embassy personnel from the mob. Only the apparent threat of direct US action against Egypt convinced them to act.

[...continued in link]
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 12:22:15 PM »

good article as Egypt continues to spiral out of control quicker than even doubters in the Arab Spring, like me, had thought
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 09:51:21 AM »

I think Obama's seemingly naive support of the Arab Spring is one of the main reasons Jews in the US are turning against the Democratic party.
republicanism
Germany

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 10:02:35 AM »

is one of the main reasons Jews in the US are turning against the Democratic party.

Are they?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 10:09:31 AM »

is one of the main reasons Jews in the US are turning against the Democratic party.

Are they?

didn't you hear them whistling dixie in NY-09 last night?
republicanism
Germany

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 10:33:30 AM »

Are they?

didn't you hear them whistling dixie in NY-09 last night?

I do not follow by-elections in the US to closely, I admit.

But consulting the wikipedia, I see the GOP won a D+5 district in New York City. Nothing extraordinary in the current American political climate, if guess.
You think the Jews swinging strongly towards the Republican turned the balance in that district?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 10:48:49 AM »

You think the Jews swinging strongly towards the Republican turned the balance in that district?

Hey, do I look like Brian Williams to you?  See, my job is to be this forum's read-between-the-lines guru, it is not to regurgitate the trivial.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 10:55:59 AM »

jmfcst, you know I not only doubted the Arab Springing, I actively called down bunker-busters upon it (and was awarded death points for doing so), but by the same token Israel does deserve to be dest.. oh wait a minute I probably can't say that either.
republicanism
Germany

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 11:01:24 AM »

Hey, do I look like Brian Williams to you?  See, my job is to be this forum's read-between-the-lines guru, it is not to regurgitate the trivial.

Haha, alright man, I guess I addressed to the wrong person then.

Since I'm not an attentive observer of US politics between the elections I was interested in the shift of Jewish voters away from the Democratic Party you asserted.
Like, some statistics or so.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 11:27:59 AM »

Haha, alright man, I guess I addressed to the wrong person then.

Since I'm not an attentive observer of US politics between the elections I was interested in the shift of Jewish voters away from the Democratic Party you asserted.
Like, some statistics or so.

well, here is a pick of the Tea Party celebrations last night in NY-09

[/jk]
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 01:17:03 PM »

jmfcst, you know I not only doubted the Arab Springing, I actively called down bunker-busters upon it (and was awarded death points for doing so), but by the same token Israel does deserve to be dest.. oh wait a minute I probably can't say that either.

but all the bombs in the world wont solve the problem (remember my thread several years ago about the effects of nuking the Muslim world in response to 9/11?)...you can't stop what is occurring, for Islam/Koran itself is the culprit.
Jacobtm

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 09:42:58 PM »

People who support Israel still fail to see a link between Israel's repression of Palestinians and the reactions Arabs have to it.

Cause -> Effect
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 03:02:51 AM »

We should base our foreign policy on the reactions Arabs have to things?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 03:34:59 AM »

Yeah, their opinions don't matter.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 06:21:46 AM »
« Edited: September 15, 2011, 06:28:41 AM by Stick it to the Man »

To a certain degree, this has always been the case.

So it's only a question of whether this degree is sufficient.
Jacobtm

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 09:19:44 AM »

Our foreign policy is perfectly calibrated to make people all over the world, not just Arabs, want to kill Americans.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 09:52:47 AM »

People who support Israel still fail to see a link between Israel's repression of Palestinians and the reactions Arabs have to it.

Cause -> Effect

and, exactly, what was the Israeli repression of the Palestinians that caused the 1948 and 1967 wars?

this war was gone on for over 3000 years, though not continuously.  And the war is defined in both the racial identity of Jews and Arabs and in religious beliefs of Jews and Muslims.

historical...racial...religious....you can't get any more deep seated than that
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 02:24:49 PM »

And you think I am anti-semitic (or at least sympathize with such people)? Will you get mad if I say you are anti-arab?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 11:16:10 PM »

Not if you just suggest I might sympathize with such people, but if you people are done overreacting to my comment perhaps I could explain myself?  We shouldn't base our foreign policy on the reactions of anybody, we should just be doing what is right for us and our friends.  We're not going to leave the S.Koreans or Japan alone because N.Korea or the PRC doesn't like it, and we shouldn't leave them if the Norks start launching rockets at our friends either. 

Now, should we consider the reactions the various nutjobs might have to some action or another?  Of course.  But base our entire foreign policy around that reaction?  No, that would be stupid.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies