SENATE BILL: Kill the Penny Act (Failed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:39:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Kill the Penny Act (Failed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Kill the Penny Act (Failed)  (Read 4449 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« on: September 13, 2011, 10:27:18 PM »

So, under this act, my interpreation is that the penny will still be used, just no more will be made. Kinda like what the US did with the two-dollar bill.

It'd be cool if some sort of program was created to recycle all the old pennies into new coins or something else.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 04:13:15 PM »

So, under this act, my interpreation is that the penny will still be used, just no more will be made. Kinda like what the US did with the two-dollar bill.

It'd be cool if some sort of program was created to recycle all the old pennies into new coins or something else.

Uh, the penny would still be legal tender and not totally removed from circulation under this law. Only production ends.
Yeah, that's exactly what I said my interpretation was. What's your point?

I still think it'd be a good idea, as a way to phase out the penny, to think of some sort of recycling program so pennies aren't just thrown away.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 04:39:24 PM »

Uh, the penny would still be legal tender and not totally removed from circulation under this law. Only production ends.
Yeah, that's exactly what I said my interpretation was. What's your point?
I still think it'd be a good idea, as a way to phase out the penny, to think of some sort of recycling program so pennies aren't just thrown away.

The point being obviously that since pennies will still be used, recycling is totally unnecessary and you are only trying to complicate the law.

I'm throwing out suggestions. Call that complicating the law if you want, I don't care.

I'm saying if another purpose being considered is to phase out the penny, which I've heard of from other Senators as a possibility, I hope the Senate will then consider some sort of a recycling program.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 04:42:58 PM »

That is an unreasonable suggestion. Or, to use your term "dangerous".
Referring to phasing out the penny, or recycling old pennies? And why do you think it is unreasonable?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 04:51:32 PM »

That is an unreasonable suggestion. Or, to use your term "dangerous".
Referring to phasing out the penny, or recycling old pennies? And why do you think it is unreasonable?

Phasing out the penny would be unreasonable because not all of our transactions currently run to the nearest nickel. Pennies serve a purpose, it is the cost of production that makes a proposal to end production hold merit. Pennies haven't lost their use as a currency simply because production ends.
You make fair points. I never said I supported phasing out the penny, I've just privately heard it come up. I'm just saying if it does come to that, I hope the Senate will consider some sort of recycling program rather than billions of pennies laying around in our houses and in dumps.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 10:34:30 PM »

You've made some excellent points, Marokai. Certainly changed my opinion on the bill.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 04:04:35 PM »

Why?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies