Should public nudity and public sex be legal? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:35:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should public nudity and public sex be legal? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Regarding public nudity and public sex, I think:
Only public nudity should be legal

Only public sex should be legal

Both shoud be legal

Neither should be legal

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 146

Author Topic: Should public nudity and public sex be legal?  (Read 25253 times)
Nichlemn

« on: October 16, 2011, 10:02:55 PM »

Well, I don't think that public sex in children's playgrounds should be legal. Don't get me wrong, I hate empty "for the children!" rhethoric, but that doesn't mean we need to go to the other extreme and completely ignore them.

Since that example reveals I'm not (and you're probably not) totally opposed to "censorship" in principle, it just becomes a question of where to draw the line. I don't think there's any universal answer to this - it depends on the circumstances. The fewer children or prudes likely to see it, the laxer the laws should be. 

I don't think there's any inconsistency in supporting relatively strict public nudity/sexuality laws and very low censorship of media. If a book offends you, you don't have to read it, but it's a lot harder to avoid nude people walking around city streets.

I do think there's some inconsistency in opposing nudity/sexuality while not being as opposed to other potentially repugnant activities in public, though. Very ugly people probably impose more of a cost than nude people, but that can be rationalised by saying that ugly people can't help themselves and we shouldn't punish them for egalitarian reasons. But what about people who have proactively made themselves offensive to look at, for instance with clothing and/or makeup?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies