Schools disciplining "Cyber-Bullying"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:25:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Schools disciplining "Cyber-Bullying"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should a school be able to discipline students if they partake in "cyber-bullying" off of school property?
Yes

No

Unsure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Schools disciplining "Cyber-Bullying"  (Read 4500 times)
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 17, 2011, 08:56:40 AM »

I was watching a documentary on cyber-bullying last night and the mother of a victim said that the school should absolutely have the right to discipline their students if they partake in cyber-bullying off of school-property. Do you agree? Should schools be able to punish kids if they are bullying other kids, even if it's not happening at school?

Discuss.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 09:14:47 AM »

It really depends, but generally speaking, no.  If the bullying is illegal, it should be reported to the police if the school is the first to know of it.  The school my kids go to "loan" them laptops for each school year and we were specifically told that they (the school) MUST make sure the kids don't do the "cyber bully" thing on the school laptops as the school is liable.  But under normal circumstances, I don't see how the school could possibly be expected to provide any consistent protection from cyber bullying off of school grounds.
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 09:17:56 AM »

It really depends, but generally speaking, no.  If the bullying is illegal, it should be reported to the police if the school is the first to know of it.  The school my kids go to "loan" them laptops for each school year and we were specifically told that they (the school) MUST make sure the kids don't do the "cyber bully" thing on the school laptops as the school is liable.  But under normal circumstances, I don't see how the school could possibly be expected to provide any consistent protection from cyber bullying off of school grounds.

Agreed.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 03:16:03 PM »

Only sexual harassment or death threats. Otherwise kids need to stop being pussies. [/closethread]
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 04:23:41 PM »

Only sexual harassment or death threats. Otherwise kids need to stop being pussies. [/closethread]

Reminds me about that story where people were claiming to be "cyber raped" on chat rooms.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 04:29:32 PM »

Napoleon, this may be the first and last time we ever agree on something.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 04:37:44 PM »

I pretty much agree with dead0man. If cyber-bullying is being committed off of school grounds & not using school property, there's no real reason the school should concern itself with it more than anyone else.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 05:12:18 PM »

Napoleon, this may be the first and last time we ever agree on something.

While I am glad we agree, I do find it ironic because these policies are direct descendants of Nixon and Reagan era appeals to the so-called Moral Majority. Essentially a core tenet of social conservatism/moralism co-opted by "Economic Justice" left wing types presumably because of two components, the first being a disdain for the New Left and the second being the warm, fuzzy feeling they get inside when having controls on free speech/personal decisions. Nonetheless,  we must do it for the children.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 08:33:05 PM »

If it starts on school property (or other school function), then yes. Otherwise, no.

Basically, if someone secretly videotapes another student at school, and then posts it online for others to make fun of, then it is the school's responsibility to protect students from that.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 09:29:48 PM »

That sounds about right.  I'd add school-sponsored trips, contests, etc.

We cannot expect the state to act as parents-in-absentia.  If they're using school property, or on chaperoned school time, then that's one thing, but generally the school cannot be held responsible for, and should not take part in, persecuting or prosecuting students for any actions or speech.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 08:33:15 AM »

If it starts on school property (or other school function), then yes. Otherwise, no.

Basically, if someone secretly videotapes another student at school, and then posts it online for others to make fun of, then it is the school's responsibility to protect students from that.
How can the school do anything in that situation to stop it from happening?  It's "secret".
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 08:13:23 PM »

How can the school do anything in that situation to stop it from happening?  It's "secret".

I meant if the victim (or ally) shows that the videotaping started at school, and tells the school, the school should discipline the bully.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 08:40:13 AM »

Sure, if/when the school finds out about it and it's clear that part of the "bullying" took place on campus, yes, then the school should take some responsibility.  But as I said before....
....under normal circumstances, I don't see how the school could possibly be expected to provide any consistent protection from cyber bullying off of school grounds.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 07:31:18 PM »

I believe the school should certainly do something to help the victims of cyber bulling and punish the perpetrators. Such things will undoubtedly spill over on campus.

But I also believe in the past years there has been a massive decline in parental responsibility and the parents should be the ones to take action first. Unfortunately most would never believe that their "babies" could do such bad things, much less punish them for it.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 11:15:45 PM »

That sounds about right.  I'd add school-sponsored trips, contests, etc.

We cannot expect the state to act as parents-in-absentia.  If they're using school property, or on chaperoned school time, then that's one thing, but generally the school cannot be held responsible for, and should not take part in, persecuting or prosecuting students for any actions or speech.

^^^^^^^
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 02:19:59 AM »

Depends on the nature of it. Especially if it's with students who go to the same skool.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies