A gay Chancellor?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:06:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  A gay Chancellor?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Would electing a homosexual Chancellor bring Germany into bad international repute?
of course
not quite, but he'll have a rough ride
depends on the Chancellor
not at all
there is no telling yet
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: A gay Chancellor?  (Read 8908 times)
Duke David
Atheist2006
Rookie
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 17, 2011, 10:39:27 AM »

On Sunday, 9/18/2011 Berlin's mayor, Klaus Wowereit, will be reelected in an election which has been attached much value, not only in Germany but also in many European countries.
There's a reason for that: The Social Democrats (SPD) are going to hold primaries for the first time to nominate a chancellor candidate, who will run against Christian Democrat Angela Merkel by September 2013 (presumably even earlier); Wowereit is talked about as a nominee by the left wing, whereas his hardest opponent, former Finance Minister Peer Steinbrück, achieves support from fiscal conservatives.

The interesting thing about that primary is: Klaus Wowereit is gay. His most famous statement is:

Ich bin schwul, und das ist auch gut so, liebe Genossinnen und Genossen.
In English: I am gay, and that is a goog thing, dear party members.

Since Merkel's CDU will definitely lose the next federal election, which is verified by each poll, it may become possible that Germany will be ruled by a homosexual for the first time. (Hey Forbes, I've got an idea for you. Smiley ) In that case Wowereit will also be the most powerful homosexual in the world - assumed Fred Karger will not be the Republican nominee for President. And yes, Iceland's prime minister is a Lesbian, but it's just ... Iceland. Wink

Could you imagine a gay Chancellor representing Germany in the US, in Russia, in China or even in Saudi-Arabia? Will the foreign press still take us seriously? Will the future US president receive Wowereit, no matter who has made it to the White House; Obama or Paul wouldn't cause trouble, but won't Perry or even Bachmann either?

BTW: Our foreign minister and former Vice Chancellor, Guido Westerwelle, is gay, and he has been failing miserably. He isn't even capable of speaking English. Smiley

So, what do you think about this topic? Scandal or pettiness?

PS: Sorry for my lousy English.

PPS: I am not gay!!!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 10:41:49 AM »

Why in the world would it ? I like to think most people aren't that stupid in 2011.

Also, you made me learn a new German word. Tongue
Duke David
Atheist2006
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 10:44:22 AM »

Also, you made me learn a new German word. Tongue

Which?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 10:52:39 AM »
« Edited: September 17, 2011, 10:54:50 AM by Stick it to the Man »

On Sunday, 9/18/2011 Berlin's mayor, Klaus Wowereit, will be reelected in an election which has been attached much value, not only in Germany but also in many European countries.
There's a reason for that: The Social Democrats (SPD) are going to hold primaries for the first time to nominate a chancellor candidate, who will run against Christian Democrat Angela Merkel by September 2013 (presumably even earlier); Wowereit is talked about as a nominee by the left wing, whereas his hardest opponent, former Finance Minister Peer Steinbrück, achieves support from fiscal conservatives.

Last thing I heard is that Sigmar Gabriel was backpaddeling on that one. In any case, the SPD wanted to hold a primary-like election since at least 1994 and it never materialized. I believe it when it happens.

Since Merkel's CDU will definitely lose the next federal election, which is verified by each poll, it may become possible that Germany will be ruled by a homosexual for the first time. (Hey Forbes, I've got an idea for you. Smiley )

Any event that is still two years into the future is far from "definite".

Could you imagine a gay Chancellor representing Germany in the US, in Russia, in China or even in Saudi-Arabia? Will the foreign press still take us seriously? Will the future US president receive Wowereit, no matter who has made it to the White House; Obama or Paul wouldn't cause trouble, but won't Perry or even Bachmann either?

Well, Westerwelle made it out of Saudi Arabia alive, so I don't see how it should be a problem. No big deal here.

Voted for option 3 btw. Same as with Westerwelle, basically.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 10:55:10 AM »

Tempted to move this to International General. Thoughts?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 11:00:22 AM »

Yeah, that seems right.

Guess. Wink
Duke David
Atheist2006
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 11:04:00 AM »

Nope. There are so many threads in this forum that it's hard to find one's bearings. I'm sorry.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 11:04:46 AM »

Yes.

As for the question:

I think Wowereit would of course be taken seriously by the leaders of other countries. Most of them are not backwards thinking. Unless maybe Rick Santorum or Michele Bachmann would be elected President next year ...

PS: The difference between Westerwelle and Wowi-Bear is that Westerwave is an arrogant prick, while Wowereit comes over as likeable.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 11:41:26 AM »
« Edited: September 17, 2011, 11:44:39 AM by Swedish Cheese »

I don't think he'd have much of a problem. As someone pointed out, Westerwelle hasn't had any problems right. And Iceland already has a lesbian Prime Minister.   

That being said for the sake of us gays good reputation everywhere I hope the first gay chancellor isn't a crappy Berlin communist.

Also as someone pointed out polls two years before an election does not mean anything. Otherwise Margret Thatcher would have been a one-term Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd would have won a decisive victory in the 2010 Australian election, Olof Palme would have been rejected by the Swedish voters for a fourth time in 1985, and our current PM would be named Mona Sahlin. And even if the left were to win the next German election, not too long ago the Greens were at SPD's heels for largest left-wing party. That trend might very well return.

EDIT: I'm guessing Franzl would immigrate if that happened. He hates Wowereit with a burning passion. Tongue (It's alright, you'd always be welcome in Sweden Franz)
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 11:49:39 AM »

I don't think it would be a problem. Not to mention one of the first things they'd see done if they + Greens/Left/etc win the 2013 elections is legalizing same-sex marriage in Germany. The CDU/CSU is the main blockers of this right now I think.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 11:56:56 AM »

That being said for the sake of us gays good reputation everywhere I hope the first gay chancellor isn't a crappy Berlin communist.

Roll Eyes
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 12:00:55 PM »

Roll Eyes

Swedish Cheese summarized it pretty well. Wink
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 12:55:50 PM »

Considering than Germany is the more powerful country in European Union, no counry will be dumbb enough to ignore them.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 12:59:44 PM »

Nope. There are so many threads in this forum that it's hard to find one's bearings. I'm sorry.

Do you mean that the entire forum is hard to find your way around, or the IGD board in particular?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 01:00:44 PM »

Considering than Germany is the more powerful country in European Union, no counry will be dumbb enough to ignore them.

We should also consider that any leader that voices "discontent" with Wowereit's sexuality would probably be ripped apart by the media in his/her home country. At least in the EU countries and also in the US. Probably also in the Latin American countries. Don't know about it how the "media" in Asian/Arab/African countries would react.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2011, 01:05:50 PM »

Internally in Germany at least, I've come to believe that sexual orientation is truly irrelevant now. We've made it to that wonderful point.

Many people love Wowereit, I think he's a complete idiot and I have a strong dislike for his character...but neither they nor I consider his sexuality when forming these opinions, as far as I can see.

Westerwelle led the FDP to their best result of all time, and now he's probably the most hated figure in German politics. If you didn't know he was gay, you wouldn't find out in political discussions or in the media.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2011, 03:07:55 PM »

Toronto Mayor George Smitherman and Quebec Premier Andre Boisclair both had huge leads in the polls at one point...
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 03:09:38 PM »

This belongs to IGD board.
Duke David
Atheist2006
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 03:18:01 PM »

Then, dear moderator, relocate this thread, or tell me how to do it by myself (as far as I'm authorized.)
JonBidinger
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2011, 03:19:44 PM »

I believe that within Germany it would be a non-issue for the most part, and as for without, Westerwelle and Sigurdardottir don't seem to be having major problems.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2011, 03:40:36 PM »

Then, dear moderator, relocate this thread, or tell me how to do it by myself (as far as I'm authorized.)

Didn't know Fab has an authority over third board.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2011, 06:16:46 PM »

Ah, but this is not his board, but mine. Anyways, I guess I'll allow democracy to reign for a change.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2011, 06:56:47 PM »

Toronto Mayor George Smitherman and Quebec Premier Andre Boisclair both had huge leads in the polls at one point...

André Boisclair was an embarassingly bad campaigner, too.
And he was a cocaine-user while he was in Cabinet, which sounds bad in the mind of voters.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2011, 07:01:12 PM »

And he was a cocaine-user while he was in Cabinet, which sounds bad in the mind of voters.

Love the litotes there.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2011, 07:23:06 PM »

Anyway, I'd like to remind our new poster that Germany is not Oklahoma. Get it?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies