A gay Chancellor? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:14:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  A gay Chancellor? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would electing a homosexual Chancellor bring Germany into bad international repute?
of course
not quite, but he'll have a rough ride
depends on the Chancellor
not at all
there is no telling yet
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: A gay Chancellor?  (Read 8968 times)
Duke David
Atheist2006
Rookie
Germany

« on: September 17, 2011, 10:39:27 AM »

On Sunday, 9/18/2011 Berlin's mayor, Klaus Wowereit, will be reelected in an election which has been attached much value, not only in Germany but also in many European countries.
There's a reason for that: The Social Democrats (SPD) are going to hold primaries for the first time to nominate a chancellor candidate, who will run against Christian Democrat Angela Merkel by September 2013 (presumably even earlier); Wowereit is talked about as a nominee by the left wing, whereas his hardest opponent, former Finance Minister Peer Steinbrück, achieves support from fiscal conservatives.

The interesting thing about that primary is: Klaus Wowereit is gay. His most famous statement is:

Ich bin schwul, und das ist auch gut so, liebe Genossinnen und Genossen.
In English: I am gay, and that is a goog thing, dear party members.

Since Merkel's CDU will definitely lose the next federal election, which is verified by each poll, it may become possible that Germany will be ruled by a homosexual for the first time. (Hey Forbes, I've got an idea for you. Smiley ) In that case Wowereit will also be the most powerful homosexual in the world - assumed Fred Karger will not be the Republican nominee for President. And yes, Iceland's prime minister is a Lesbian, but it's just ... Iceland. Wink

Could you imagine a gay Chancellor representing Germany in the US, in Russia, in China or even in Saudi-Arabia? Will the foreign press still take us seriously? Will the future US president receive Wowereit, no matter who has made it to the White House; Obama or Paul wouldn't cause trouble, but won't Perry or even Bachmann either?

BTW: Our foreign minister and former Vice Chancellor, Guido Westerwelle, is gay, and he has been failing miserably. He isn't even capable of speaking English. Smiley

So, what do you think about this topic? Scandal or pettiness?

PS: Sorry for my lousy English.

PPS: I am not gay!!!
Duke David
Atheist2006
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 10:44:22 AM »

Also, you made me learn a new German word. Tongue

Which?
Duke David
Atheist2006
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 11:04:00 AM »

Tempted to move this to International General. Thoughts?

Nope. There are so many threads in this forum that it's hard to find one's bearings. I'm sorry.
Duke David
Atheist2006
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 03:18:01 PM »

Then, dear moderator, relocate this thread, or tell me how to do it by myself (as far as I'm authorized.)
Duke David
Atheist2006
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 07:43:27 PM »
« Edited: September 17, 2011, 07:48:57 PM by Atheist2006 »

Anyway, I'd like to remind our new poster that Germany is not Oklahoma. Get it?

What do I need to express regret for, Texecutioner?
For having been born in Oklahoma? Or for my parents having moved back to Germany?

@ Sibboleth

Could you delete all comments that don't bear upon the topic, please? Thanks.
Duke David
Atheist2006
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 12:15:39 PM »

Wowereit's SPD, as expected, has won today's Berlin state election with about 30% and is able to form a red-green coalition.

With this election result, a potential candidacy of Wowereit for Chancellor is coming closer.
Duke David
Atheist2006
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 03:30:21 PM »

Wowi is very happy to stay where he is for as long as the voters allow. I think that was quite clear from his tv appearances today.
Which were also uncharacteristically camp.

Either way, Wowereit is going to stay in Berlin. Tongue
Duke David
Atheist2006
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 04:08:15 PM »

I don't see how this has become more likely now because of this election. His victory was solid, but not exactly spectacular.

When the new senate is built, it will be irrelevant how "glamorous" the election results have been.

In case Wowereit is running for Chancellor, Steinbrück (and maybe Steinmeier) will be his main opponent.
Whereas the latter has never won any election (not even a direct mandate), Wowereit has been reelected for a second time. It's a fact that matters to the party strategists.
Duke David
Atheist2006
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 05:18:24 PM »

By that logic, Kurt Beck should have become the SPD's nominee in 2009 (or 2013, for that matter).

If Beck hadn't been bullied by his colleagues, he could have run against Merkel in 2009.
Of course, he wouldn't have had any chance of becoming Chancellor, but he might have performed well enough in the southwest so that we could have been spared the humiliation of Westerwave. Shocked

Moreover, I don't claim that Wowereit will become the SPD's nominee at any rate, I just say that his chances have risen tremendously since his reelection.
Duke David
Atheist2006
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 04:30:19 PM »

Atheist 2006, is 2006 your birth year?

What's the red blob on your profile picture? An optical magnification of your brain?
Duke David
Atheist2006
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 06:22:40 AM »

Any event that is still two years into the future is far from "definite".

Under no circumstances will this malformed black-yellow coalition endure two more years...
Duke David
Atheist2006
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 07:20:09 AM »

How brilliant is that? I've finally got a stalker...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies