New York Racial Demography
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:55:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  New York Racial Demography
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New York Racial Demography  (Read 4474 times)
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 25, 2010, 06:44:00 PM »

Here is the white-strength map I said I would make using the same scale as my New England map. It took at least ten hours to pull all the data off the Census website and color in the map: so, enjoy.

And, I am at your service for any requests for maps of other races or of overall population.

Merry Christmas,

hc
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 06:46:32 PM »

Thank you! I would ask for a % Asian map, but I suspect it won't be too interesting if we can't see the splits within Queens county.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 08:38:10 PM »

I'll make it later on. I can tell you that the only major Asian population centers are NYC, NYC suburbs and exurbs and Ithaca.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 08:41:35 PM »

Ten hours? Shocked

You probably could have learned how to use a GIS program in that amount of time!! Wink

Nice map.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 09:03:20 PM »

Upstate New York is uniformly white and the city not so much? Who knew? Tongue
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 09:21:04 PM »

Except for prisons. Two thirds of Washington County's non-white population is incarcerated, for example.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 04:19:38 PM »

I created a weird map, just Christmas eve madness you might say. I was drawing 45 district New York, unfortunately, I only got to 34 because of some kind of glitch in the app. I created an asian plurality district in Queens. It helps when you only need 450,000 people for a district though. Wink
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 10:27:28 PM »

Here is Asian strength state wide.

Sounder
Rookie
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 12:57:11 AM »

The mother township was looking funny on that map until I remembered that it had a juvenile prison.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 09:19:13 AM »

That horizontal little town south of Rochester is also the center of Rochester's Jewish community, per my partner.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 12:19:19 PM »

I created a weird map, just Christmas eve madness you might say. I was drawing 45 district New York, unfortunately, I only got to 34 because of some kind of glitch in the app. I created an asian plurality district in Queens. It helps when you only need 450,000 people for a district though. Wink

An Asian majority district has been drawn in NYC by a few posters, although that was based on NY losing only one seat iirc.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 04:17:37 AM »
« Edited: December 30, 2010, 04:19:54 AM by 88611 Teharonhiawako »

An Asian majority district has been drawn in NYC by a few posters, although that was based on NY losing only one seat iirc.

Link?  I live right next to Chinese Brooklyn, so it'd be lovely to see.  Especially if one could get Flushing to connect to Koreatown/Chinatown and South Brooklyn
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 08:08:32 PM »

Link?  I live right next to Chinese Brooklyn, so it'd be lovely to see.  Especially if one could get Flushing to connect to Koreatown/Chinatown and South Brooklyn

Here you go.

I know we were asked not to post every swing state diary map here when people can see them there on their own, but this "New York 28-0" takes the cake for treating redistricting as an abstraction. I'm actually offended that someone submitted it.

http://www.swingstateproject.com/diary/6166/#108516

I was bothered by the fact that the author of this reduced the minority levels so much in CD-15 that whites are the largest group by a significant amount, and then called it a VRA district. So I decided to retaliate with a VRA-based map that maximizes minority-majority districts.

In my map below I assume 28 districts and all are within 100 using 2008 data on the App. NYC has 8 districts with a single minority majority:

CD-16 (bright green - Bronx) 58% Hispanic.
CD-15 (orange - New York, Bronx, and some Queens) 51% Hispanic
CD-12 (blue - Kings, Queens, and a bit of New York) 51% Hispanic
CD-11 (lime green - Kings) 55% Black
CD-10 (magenta - Kings) 55% Black
CD-7 (grey - Bronx, Queens) 56% Hispanic
CD-6 (cyan - Queens, Nassau) 55% Black

and the drum roll please ...

CD-5 (yellow - Queens, New York, and Kings) 51% Asian

The majority-Asian CD-5 defines this map. It links Flushing in Queens to Chinatown in Manhattan and on to Sunset Park in Brooklyn. The other districts then work around that district. The other majority-minority districts maintain the largest group in the current CD.

I restricted the Staten Island district (CD-13) to cross into Brooklyn and that forced CD8 to run from lower Manhattan up to Yonkers, though CD-14 could have connected to Yonkers instead by crossing Central Park. On Long Island the constraints of CDs 5 and 6 forced CD3 (purple) to go from Coney Island out to Suffolk County along the Atlantic. The population shifts also caused CD-17 (dark blue-grey) to go from Westchester through Co Op City in the Bronx to cross at Throgs Neck and run along the Sound to NW Nassau.

Enjoy. Smiley
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 03:18:29 PM »

Haha, that's one crazy cool looking district, I think it gobbles up my block in Sunset Park but I can't quite tell.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2011, 06:25:20 PM »

You might be able to tell on this map.

Here's a more zoomed in version of the NYC Asian district. It's 51% Asian; the Brooklyn and Queens portions are 48% Asian each while the Manhattan part is 71% Asian. The bulk of the population is in Queens, though. This district would have really interesting (read: wild) primaries as the different neighborhoods coalesced around their own candidates. And the Chinese v. Korean v. South Asian dynamic would be interesting (although that's somewhat neighborhood-based as well, and Chinese are clearly the largest Asian group in the district).

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2011, 09:47:08 PM »

I think I'm in it, but it's quite close.  The central thrust of the Brooklyn area is 8th ave. I believe (8's a lucky number in China) and I'm over by 6th and 59th.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 12:29:11 AM »

I think I'm in it, but it's quite close.  The central thrust of the Brooklyn area is 8th ave. I believe (8's a lucky number in China) and I'm over by 6th and 59th.

Unfortunately with the new estimates in v2.0 and the need for larger districts using 27 CD's, I don't see a way of getting close to 50% Asian now.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2011, 12:49:38 AM »

Unfortunately with the new estimates in v2.0 and the need for larger districts using 27 CD's, I don't see a way of getting close to 50% Asian now.

It should be very possible once the actual Census data is available, though, as the Asian population has risen primarily in areas that already have a lot of Asians while not rising in areas with few Asians in 2000. Dave's Redistricting isn't great at estimating the population distribution within large counties.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2011, 10:46:01 AM »

There's a fairly strong opinion in Sunset, I would say, that the Chinese population is surging.  For example, see this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/29/nyregion/29church.html
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2011, 10:42:21 PM »

homely, now that you're back Smiley . . .
I'd be really interested in seeing a black demography map if you get the chance.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies