Opinion of Oliver Stone
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:31:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of Oliver Stone
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ....
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Opinion of Oliver Stone  (Read 3768 times)
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 18, 2011, 09:52:14 AM »

FF. My favorite movie director.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 03:14:58 PM »

Hate his politics, entertained by his movies. If only my mom would leave the house long enough for me to pop in the DVD of The Doors and watch it all the way through.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 03:28:41 PM »

He's a gifted director, no doubt.  Not my favorite--I'm partial to Almodóvar and Kubric--but he's really good at transporting the viewer into the frame with his unorthodox but effective camera angles.  And the bizarre mid-scene formatting changes manage to play upon my nerves and fears.  Great style.

But I don't know much about his life other than the films.  Maybe he's a dick.  Maybe he's a hero. 
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 04:45:57 PM »

His politics are starting to drag down his films. Wall Street 2 and W were pitifully bad storytelling. 
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 04:48:24 PM »

A few bright spots but too heavy handed overall.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 06:37:14 PM »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/jan/10/hitler-stalin-oliver-stone-history
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 06:50:55 PM »

Mel Brooks is more historically accurate.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 07:15:22 PM »

Hate his politics, entertained by his movies. If only my mom would leave the house long enough for me to pop in the DVD of The Doors and watch it all the way through.

THIIIIIIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 07:45:35 PM »

Douchebag
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 08:17:12 PM »

It's a good movie, Kilmer was excellent, but the movie should have been called the Jim Morrison Story as he is the main character.

Stone is a good director though
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 01:09:26 AM »

I like his older movies like Platoon, JFK, Salvador, Wall Street and The Doors.

Not much of a fan of his post-Nixon movies, but I did enjoy this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_of_the_Border_(film)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 01:16:53 AM »

His politics are starting to drag down his films. Wall Street 2 and W were pitifully bad storytelling. 

I agree, JFK, Nixon and Platoon are some of my favourite films (JFK is #1) ... but he's so heavy-handed that it's silly now.
LBJer
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 10:34:13 AM »

I agree, JFK, Nixon and Platoon are some of my favourite films (JFK is #1) ... but he's so heavy-handed that it's silly now.

While JFK is very well acted and directed, its distortions of history and fact are so horrendous and endless (particularly egregious is the suggestion that LBJ was involved in the assassination) that I can't bring myself to call it a great, or even good, film.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 10:35:44 AM »

While JFK is very well acted and directed, its distortions of history and fact are so horrendous and endless (particularly egregious is the suggestion that LBJ was involved in the assassination) that I can't bring myself to call it a great, or even good, film.

I concur.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 11:27:32 AM »

Most of his movies are not very good.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2011, 11:29:29 AM »

I will admit that I do kinda enjoy ANY GIVEN SUNDAY.

The fact that people put PLATOON on the same level as APOCALYPSE NOW is ludicrous. The best thing the former has going for it is it's use of "Adiago for Strings."
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2011, 04:23:35 PM »

I don't watch movies for facts, so that doesn't bother me.

His recent pictures don't have any human element to them whatsoever.
LBJer
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 04:49:12 PM »
« Edited: September 21, 2011, 07:29:04 PM by LBJer »

I don't watch movies for facts, so that doesn't bother me.

I'm not saying that any historical film has to be 100% accurate.  Even books and articles written by professional historians aren't completely accurate, that's inevitable.  But there's a limit.  I wouldn't find a movie about Gettysburg acceptable if it had the Confederates winning the battle--unless it specifically said that it was presenting an alternative history scenario.  I find the huge liberties Stone takes in JFK particularly unacceptable because of the extremely sensitive nature of the topic and the fact that he basically trashes some people--LBJ and Clay Shaw included--without the facts to back it up.  To excuse JFK's errors and distortions on the grounds that no historical film is totally accurate would be like someone being forgiving of Charles Manson on the grounds that everyone has their flaws.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 07:27:50 PM »

It's a good movie, Kilmer was excellent, but the movie should have been called the Jim Morrison Story as he is the main character.

Yeah. The surviving Doors completely disowned the movie after it came out. I've seen probably all of it in bits and chunks, and often I was just completely disgusted by some of the stuff in it. Damn. Now I feel like watching it even more.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2011, 08:59:11 AM »

Platoon wasn't bad but my general impression is not that Stone is a great director or anything.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2011, 12:47:20 PM »

Yeah. The surviving Doors completely disowned the movie after it came out. I've seen probably all of it in bits and chunks, and often I was just completely disgusted by some of the stuff in it. Damn. Now I feel like watching it even more.

Stone also changed the stories around like he always does but the movie is still good though. There is a documentary about the Doors that the band approved so you might want to watch it, When you're Strange is what it is called, I have not seen it yet.
republicanism
Germany

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2011, 01:30:11 PM »

I've only seen Platoon, Natural Born Killers, JFK and Nixon.

Nixon is a really great movie imho.
Platoon is nice entertainment I can watch again and again, but not very meaningful.
Natural Born Killers is okay, but not exactly my kind of movie.
 JFK is mediocre. The beginning is great, the denouement ruins it for me.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2011, 10:57:06 PM »
« Edited: September 20, 2011, 11:30:44 PM by Politico »

Salvador, the first major film directed by Oliver Stone, is a respectable movie with a good performance by James Wood. Stone followed that up with an amazing string of remarkable films in the late 1980s (i.e., Platoon, Wall Street, Talk Radio, Born on the Fourth of July--am I the only one on here who appreciates these last two flicks?). In the early 1990s, he made a couple of good movies (i.e., The Doors and JFK--although both have historical inaccuracies, they are extremely entertaining nonetheless). Since then, it has only been mediocre or terrible fare from Mr. Stone (Nixon being the exception, but even it is a bit too long and drawn out. It certainly comes nowhere close to his past glory).

I found Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps so thoroughly unnecessary and mediocre, especially in comparison to Wall Street, that there is no chance of me ever seeing another one of his films in the theater unless it scores over 75% on Rotten Tomatoes.

In short, Oliver Stone was THE man about a quarter century ago, but he has not been a great director, or at least has not released a great movie, since George H.W. Bush was president...
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2011, 12:05:51 AM »

He has made a decent film or two, but for the most part is often overrated and seems to be an egotistical jackass.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies