How many white Democrats will be in the House from the South after 2012?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:58:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  How many white Democrats will be in the House from the South after 2012?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: How many white Democrats will be in the House from the South after 2012?  (Read 5961 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2012, 04:27:22 PM »

Do you not consider Kentucky or West Virginia to be southern?

From the Georgian perspective:

And Barrow's gone. But in gutting Barrow like they did, they've opened Kingston up to some future vulnerability. Kingston's in a district where Republicans are now just a little less than 55% of the voting bloc. A good candidate could take the seat. Coastal Georgia's Republicans are more moderate, northern types. The interior is all Dixie, though.

I can assure you that, having been to all three, North Florida/FL Panhandle is at least as southern as, say, Tennessee or Kentucky. The South ends at around I-4; north of that, it's definitely South at least, possibly Deep, and south of that, it's really not.
There are pockets of the North- Gainesville which is about 15 min east of my house (I am just east of Newberry) is very liberal due to the school over there. Trenton (about 30 min west of me) is as rural and conservative as it gets- one traffic light in the whole county

But you're right that North Florida is mostly very culturally Southern

I've always seen Gainesville and Tallahassee as sorta like Asheville or Austin or Atlanta-politically liberal and culturally southern. The line, IMO, starts around the north edge of Citrus County and sorta goes down at a 45 degree angle till it hits Lake O, then flattens out until it hits the Atlantic around Fort Pierce. St. Pete, Tampa, Sarasota, Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm, and Miami are south of it, and Melbourne, Sanford, Apopka, Orlando, Gainesville, Daytona, Jacksonville, Tallahassee are north.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2012, 07:20:45 PM »

For all intensive purposes, North Florida is Dixie. At a state level, though, Florida isn't really a full-fledged Southern state.

"Intents and purposes."

Well that certainly makes more sense. Thanks again, Dixie vernacular.

All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2012, 11:29:45 PM »

As few as seven, as many as thirteen.This is the last we will see of John Barrow.

TENNESSEE: two
Steve Cohen should be back. If Jim Cooper could survive 2010, he can survive 2012. I'm not aware of any significant changes in their state's redistricting.

Cooper's district is mainly based in Nashville though and Nashville is liberal politically I have heard. Maybe because all those country music superstars live there.
Government, unis, motor workers. Those country superstars are the handful of Dem voters in the otherwise uber-R exurbs of Nashville. Tongue

A lot of country music stars are Republican, though I have no clue as to what percentage.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2012, 04:09:46 PM »

As few as seven, as many as thirteen.This is the last we will see of John Barrow.

TENNESSEE: two
Steve Cohen should be back. If Jim Cooper could survive 2010, he can survive 2012. I'm not aware of any significant changes in their state's redistricting.

Cooper's district is mainly based in Nashville though and Nashville is liberal politically I have heard. Maybe because all those country music superstars live there.
Government, unis, motor workers. Those country superstars are the handful of Dem voters in the otherwise uber-R exurbs of Nashville. Tongue

A lot of country music stars are Republican, though I have no clue as to what percentage.

There's been talk of Tim McGraw running for Senate as a Democrat against Bob Corker. Other than that, there's this: http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=105x6197129.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies