How many white Democrats will be in the House from the South after 2012? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:34:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  How many white Democrats will be in the House from the South after 2012? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How many white Democrats will be in the House from the South after 2012?  (Read 6003 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« on: September 18, 2011, 01:23:44 PM »
« edited: September 18, 2011, 01:28:58 PM by Torie »

I can count only six for sure, two from NOVA, three from Florida (the Dems might get one or two more depending on what happens to the Alan West seat in redistricting, and whether the heavily but not majority black Corrine Brown seat is dumped and made more white putting in a white Dem), and what the courts do with the Pubbie plan), plus Price in NC.  A somewhat probable 7th seat is the Chandler seat in Kentucky where he would be a favorite. Cooper's fate in Tennessee depends on whether the Pubbies chop Nashville, which I suspect is in the cards. So it looks to me to be more likely than not a grand total of seven, plus a possible 8th or 9th from Florida. Oh, and maybe one more white Dem from Virginia, but I consider that reasonably unlikely.

Oh, and the Doggett thing in Texas. That is a wild card. So say 7.5 seats.

Have I missed anyone? How times have changed since I was a lad!
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 01:31:06 PM »
« Edited: September 18, 2011, 01:43:09 PM by Torie »

Add maybe 2 in West Virginia, 2 in Arkansas, maybe a couple in Texas.

I don't count WV as the South, but OK, but I don't see the Pubbies losing a seat there this time, so add one for WV if you like.  I don't think the Dems will hold the Ark-04 given that Ross is retiring and it's uber GOP now. I don't think Griffin will be defeated in Ark 02, even though the seat is now a couple of points more Dem than it was. Not with Obama at the top of the ticket.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 05:10:05 PM »

Indeed I did miss Louisville!  Thanks.

And yes Cohen, but he represents a very black CD, so he's a black Jew.  Tongue   But yes indeed.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 12:04:53 PM »

Indeed I did miss Louisville!  Thanks.

But if you don't include Southern WV, then you shouldn't include Louisville.

That is more or less true. It's arbitrary.  Let's add Missouri too.  But's let's not add Maryland. Tongue

KY, WV, and to a lesser extent Missouri, are hybrid states. There is not much of the South left in Maryland except the Eastern shore.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 02:18:12 PM »
« Edited: September 19, 2011, 02:20:23 PM by Torie »

Yes, but generally we don't consider Detroit part of the South. Smiley  It's is kind of a white thing really come to think of it. They seem to define the reach of the South's diaspora. Anyway, the redneck riviera  has almost no blacks, and it is Southern in very good standing. So there!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies