Cathcon's History Paper Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:19:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Cathcon's History Paper Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cathcon's History Paper Thread  (Read 24487 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« on: November 03, 2011, 08:18:44 PM »

For 2nd quarter, I'e decided to do James Buchanan. I'd like to argue that he's one of our greatest Presidents and held the Union together since I like arguing the unconventional and utterly false side of the argument for entertainment, but that'd be too hard. Any ideas on websites for research or for thesis ideas?

.............yeah....about that.

Good luck.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 11:10:35 AM »

If you want to place Buchanan in a positive light, some ridiculous nonsense about how he let the South secede in peace and that if Lincoln had followed his legacy a peaceable divorce between USA and CSA could've been accomplished?

EDIT:  Again, this is a pretty ridiculous position, but it's more defensible than the one you gave earlier.

I'm not really interested in ideology, just what would be most fun to prove. That's an idea.

If you were able to accomplish that you would be the greatest person ever.

Because seriously, I have no idea how one can argue that Buchanan is the greatest ever.  Yes, I know you don't really think so but I'm perplexed as to how an argument in his favor could be made.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 11:25:30 AM »
« Edited: November 12, 2011, 05:42:16 AM by A Piece of Ass »

If you want to place Buchanan in a positive light, some ridiculous nonsense about how he let the South secede in peace and that if Lincoln had followed his legacy a peaceable divorce between USA and CSA could've been accomplished?

EDIT:  Again, this is a pretty ridiculous position, but it's more defensible than the one you gave earlier.

I'm not really interested in ideology, just what would be most fun to prove. That's an idea.

If you were able to accomplish that you would be the greatest person ever.

Because seriously, I have no idea how one can argue that Buchanan is the greatest ever.  Yes, I know you don't really think so but I'm perplexed as to how an argument in his favor could be made.

I've just always had this like for those "history will vindicate me" types. Only comparison I can see is Nixon, and he's doing a lot better than Buchanan. I suppose when I star researching I might be able to find one thing positive and blow it out of proportion, as well as blame exterior forces. Remember, Lincoln was a wartime President. Buchanan wasn't.

Plus, I wouldn't be aiming for "best ever", I'd hypothetically be aiming for "he held the union together and he's very under-rated and mis-characterized.

I've also come up with a nifty title...
Aunt Nancy:
The James Buchanan Story

You could possibly argue that Buchanan was ahead of his time because the Democratic National Convention of 1856 platform defended Catholics and immigrants in a time when nativism was at a fever pitch.  Unlike that warmonger Lincoln who forced thousands of immigrants to die in a war forced onto the nation by northern WASP industrialists who viewed the low tariff trade views of many Southerners as a threat to their industrial base.

Pretty much you argue that even if the Civil War had happened under Buchanan he wouldn't resort to using the immigrant poors to die in a rich man's war unlike the unethical Lincoln who let rich boys off as long as they had $300 on them.  Also bring up Lincoln's quote about how he could give a toss about slavery to emphasize the whole point about the northern industrial base.  However, don't defend slavery.  That's probably a stupid idea.

Further, it would be a good idea to emphasize the troubles that happened after the Civil War.  Say that if Buchanan's vision had been followed that the US would've be saved an extremely bloody civil war and decades of bitter political strife and extreme racism.  It would also be a great idea to research Buchanan's personal views to see where he stood on political reform to see how that would affect machine voters.  I imagine that without Lincoln immigrant groups (especially the Irish) might be less staunchly Democratic than they were IRL especially if there is no Civil War and no draft.  Perhaps the Republicans might even be more pro-immigrant if the Carl Schulz and John Conness types take over the party to counter the strength the Democrats would have in the South.

In other words, the only way (that I see) Buchanan would look good is if you demonize Lincoln.  Considering how ingrained his FF image is this will not only be difficult, but could make you the most unpopular student in the school.

Possible argument?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 09:36:24 AM »

Apparently I got an 85 on it. The bastard.

Man what a retard.

I got an 81 the other week on a 21 page paper.  I was pissed.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 12:28:39 AM »

Wow, this paper makes me feel like a slacker.

Anyway, good read and any professor who is not an outright hack would you an A (or an 8 or a 9 if you guys do the AP style of paper grading).
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 12:29:53 AM »

A = 95-100 = 6.0
B+ = 90-94 = 5.0
B = 85-89 = 4.0
C+ = 80-84 = 3.0
C = 75-79 = 2.0
D = 70-74 = 1.0
E = 60-69 = 0.0
F = 0-59 = 0.0

Our system is slightly different:

A = 89.5-100 = 4.0 (5.0 AP)
B+ = 87-89.4 = 3.5 (4.5 AP)
B = 79.5-86.9 = 3.0 (4.0 AP)
C+ = 77-79.4 = 2.5 (3.5 AP)
C = 69.5-76.9 = 2.0 (3.0 AP)
D+ = 67-69.4 = 1.5 (2.5 AP)
D = 59.5-66.9 = 1.0 (2.0 AP)
E = 0-59.4 = 0.0

Yeah, this is the same system that my high school used.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 09:34:43 PM »

I watched the HBO miniseries on John Adams.  Sure, it wasn't 100% accurate but it really made me re-examine how I viewed John Adams.

I can say, I don't view him as negatively as I did before.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies