Cathcon's History Paper Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:43:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Cathcon's History Paper Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cathcon's History Paper Thread  (Read 24493 times)
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« on: February 17, 2012, 06:57:14 PM »

For 2nd quarter, I'e decided to do James Buchanan. I'd like to argue that he's one of our greatest Presidents and held the Union together since I like arguing the unconventional and utterly false side of the argument for entertainment, but that'd be too hard. Any ideas on websites for research or for thesis ideas?

If you're still doing this, take a look at JFK's quotes, such as "We can't judge any president without seeing the look in their eyes after every decision they made as president, including poor James Buchanan."

I contend that Fillmore was much better, but whatever.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 02:36:25 PM »

I'm starting the rough draft of my McKinley paper today. My hope is to be able to make it some epic fifteen page paper (short for college, long for where I'm at). If I'm correct, the minimum is eight pages.

What is it about McKinley are you going for?

After reading a short biography on him, my mission is to prove that he was, in fact, significant. AMong his accomplishments were the institution of the Gold Standard (an economic system that lasted throughout the Republican power cycle of 1896-1932), the beginning of America's emergence as a superpower (Spanish-American War, foreign policy, etc.), and assembling a winning urban coalition of labor and business that would serve as the Republican base during the ensuing era of political dominance. I'll also mention how thanks to the New Deal Era and Teddy Roosevelt, he is consistently overshadowed and also cast as some arch-conservative imperialist who did nothing but advance business interests. He was actually the beginning of the progressive era (much to my dismay) and had served as the opponent of the eastern big business establishment and a champion for labor while in the House.

Don't forget the McKinley Tariff, the highest ever in America save only for the Tariff of Abominations and Smoot-Hawley.  This was his major contribution (and a bad one, I might add) while in the House.  It also cost him the speakership, IMO
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 10:18:44 PM »

Me?  What'd I do?
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 06:25:39 PM »
« Edited: March 28, 2012, 06:54:21 PM by Jerseyrules »

1. Could you share it with us like you did with Buchanan?
2. Is another one coming up?

Once I get to a computer, I'll do just that (assuming I can find a file). And yes, ranging 1933-Present. I typically focus on presidents and/or elections, & given the amount I've read on Nixon & the I trysting thongs you can tie him in with, I just wrote him down. If I stick with him, I'll either do foreign policy or his work at forging the modern GOP. thanks for asking.

FDR BASHING PLEASE!  Muwahahqhahahaha! Cheesy.  Don't forget china!  Wink. (Is that considered dick's greatest accomplishment?)
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 07:13:49 PM »

Sorry for the mis-spellings in my previous post. I'm on my iPod right now. Tongue

Oh.  I see how it is.  You're intentionally not responding to me.  That feels real good Tongue Wink
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies