Don't Ask Don't Tell is history
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:21:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Don't Ask Don't Tell is history
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Don't Ask Don't Tell is history  (Read 5296 times)
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2011, 08:13:48 PM »

Then we can move on.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2011, 08:20:38 PM »

Good riddance Smiley
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2011, 09:13:17 PM »
« Edited: September 20, 2011, 09:17:26 PM by Nathan »

The homosexuality is the soul destroying situation.

My best friend's soul is obviously intact to anybody who knows her, and she's just slightly more lesbian than a hypothetical episode of Rizzoli & Isles scripted by Ikuhara Kunihiko.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Integration is going fine. The military serves the civilian public, not the other way around, and knows it (even if the civilian public doesn't always). And in the civilian public support for gays serving hovers between sixty and eighty per cent, depending on the phrasing of the question. Are all of these people 'baseless bureaucrats' in your opinion?

You're going to have to try harder, since I only consider 'authoritarian' inherently pejorative when it's applied to civil and political rights, which the 'right' to ban other people from certain jobs because of who they love isn't. Speaking of authoritarianism, though, here is an exhaustive list of countries that currently maintain explicit bans of any kind on military service on the basis of dangly bits or clefts between the legs and attraction thereto:

Somalia
Uganda
Western Sahara
Somaliland
Belize
Honduras
Panama
Antigua and Barbuda
Barbados
Cuba
Dominica
Dominican Republic
Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
St Christopher and Nevis
St Lucia
St Vincent and the Grenadines
Trinidad and Tobago
Venezuela
Egypt
South Sudan
Sudan
Bahrain
Iraq
Kuwait
Lebanon
Oman
Qatar
Saudi Arabia
Syria
United Arab Emirates
Yemen
Afghanistan
Bangladesh
Bhutan
Iran
India (under legal dispute)
Maldives
Pakistan
North Korea
South Korea
Brunei
Burma
Malaysia
Belarus
Turkey
Northern Cyprus
Papua New Guinea
Solomon Islands
Kiribati
Palau
Tonga

Our partners in freedom, all!

Entirely leaving aside the fact that I'm probably less pro-abortion than most other leftists, what do these issues have to do with each other?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2011, 09:15:47 PM »

He couldn't do this in person like a real man would? 
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2011, 10:07:42 PM »

Cool, now "us" "LGBT" people can officially be cannon fodder for senseless wars too!
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2011, 10:38:43 PM »

What I'm saying is it's not right that those who chose a lifestyle condemned by the major religions of the world and medical science be able to serve in the military yet the baby in the womb is not able to have his/her right to life protected.  

The homosexuality is the soul destroying situation.

Get out of the closet and you'll feel much better.

That's not gonna work. I JCL am humbled to say here right now that I am unashamed of the gospel for it's the power of G-d for the salvation of all who believe. I seek a woman of godly character to spend my life with and if the L-rd wills reproduce like Duggers, Slacks, and my own family, that means lots of kids.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2011, 10:44:29 PM »

What I'm saying is it's not right that those who chose a lifestyle condemned by the major religions of the world and medical science be able to serve in the military yet the baby in the womb is not able to have his/her right to life protected.  

It's not condemned by all major religions of the world, and medical science doesn't consider it a 'lifestyle'. It also is a completely separate issue from abortion.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2011, 11:24:21 PM »
« Edited: September 20, 2011, 11:43:28 PM by Torie »

One chap I heard about today was bounced after 17 years of service with numerous commendations for being outed cutting him off from his pension; he would get it with 20 years - $1,500 a month for life starting immediately after 20 years plus medical benefits, so he suffered maybe a $200,000 hit (before factoring in the medical benefits, the value of which is uncertain depending on his health), real money for someone like him. He hopes to re-enlist but the queues now are long, and the military is cutting back, and will cut back some more, so he may be F'ed.. It was totally execrable. We should feel ashamed for what we did. We were cruel, bigoted, and irrational. This will go down as black mark in our history - yes it will.  
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2011, 12:23:54 AM »

The three major religions would beg to differ. Medical science has told us of the consequences one risks in living that kind of life. I see these issue as one of liberty versus tyranny. As Reagan said in 1964

"You and I are told increasingly we have to choose between a left or right. Well I'd like to suggest there is no such thing as a left or right. There's only an up or down—[up] man's old—old-aged dream, the ultimate in individual freedom consistent with law and order, or down to the ant heap of totalitarianism. And regardless of their sincerity, their humanitarian motives, those who would trade our freedom for security have embarked on this downward course."

Abortion is inconsistent with that law and order and so is being of a GLBT lifestyle.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2011, 12:37:25 AM »

The three major religions would beg to differ.

You're not specifying which three major religions so I'm forced to conclude that you're referring to Christianity, Islam, and Chinese folk religion, which are the three largest in the world. As it happens, there isn't any kind of consensus at all in the former, the second I'll for the most part concede (though it's still not an absolute consensus), and the latter doesn't look with particular favour on any kind of sexuality but also doesn't particularly discriminate (though, again, not a total consensus).

Fun fact: The vast majority of HIV/AIDS cases in the world are contracted through straight sex.

Good. So do I.

...so allowing people to do a job that they want to do and are good at regardless of who they are in relationships with or would like to be in relationships with is more tyrannical than, uh, not allowing that? Gotcha.
Jacobtm

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2011, 12:52:59 AM »

Cool, now "us" "LGBT" people can officially be cannon fodder for senseless wars too!

Shows how crappy our Economy has gotten. Just a few years ago gays were seen as too precious to risk in combat.

Gen. Robert McBrayer explained:

''Gays in America are the only group left untouched by war. They're special. Pure and rare, like a gleaming diamond, or a snow-white colt. We must protect them... ''

http://www.theonion.com/video/gays-too-precious-to-risk-in-combat-says-general,14158/

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2011, 04:04:54 AM »

That video has so far gotten nearly 1.3 million views. Amazing the amount of attention it's had.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2011, 05:36:38 AM »

...real money for someone like him.

Haha, yes, the poor fellow.  Were you slumming at the Bathhouse, Torie?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2011, 05:55:13 AM »

That video has so far gotten nearly 1.3 million views. Amazing the amount of attention it's had.
Featured on CNN.  I'm very happy that DADT is finally coming to an end.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2011, 05:57:07 AM »

Featured on CNN.  I'm very happy that DADT is finally coming to an end.

Was also on the Rachel Maddow show, The Daily Show, Yahoo news, and other sites, after I looked into it. Got quite popular.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2011, 06:49:08 AM »

He is on active service and only gets to see his family periodically. He makes that pretty clear in the video. He also makes it clear that the risks mean he may never see his family again so of course he's going to say it man to man over the phone.

Tremendously brave thing for him to do. I've been following his videos for a while.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2011, 07:37:29 AM »

Jesus Frodo, he said quite clearly at the beginning of the video that he was from Alabama.  Had he 'come out' in person he would have been dragged behind a pick-up truck.  He did it from the safety of Afghanistan.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2011, 12:44:32 PM »

The three major religions would beg to differ. Medical science has told us of the consequences one risks in living that kind of life. I see these issue as one of liberty versus tyranny. As Reagan said in 1964

And this isn't a theocracy, so the opinions of "three major religions" (all major religions have a huge diversity of opinion on homosexuality, FWIW) are as irrelevant as the writings on L. Ron Hubbard on this matter.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2011, 01:32:56 PM »

"You and I are told increasingly we have to choose between a left or right. Well I'd like to suggest there is no such thing as a left or right. There's only an up or down—[up] man's old—old-aged dream, the ultimate in individual freedom consistent with law and order, or down to the ant heap of totalitarianism. And regardless of their sincerity, their humanitarian motives, those who would trade our freedom for security have embarked on this downward course."

You need some reading comprehension lessons if you think this quote is at all in your position's favor.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2011, 04:53:18 PM »

Well, at least I can use the sociopath defense:

*walks into psych exam*

"I'M GONNA KILL A WHOOOOOOOOOLE BUNCH OF CIVILIANS, YES I AM.  I MIGHT EVEN RAPE THEM FIRST."
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2011, 03:39:47 AM »

link
I can't put my finger on why exactly, but I think this story is four kinds of awesome.  I think it's because it confirms the theory that the majority of the military doesn't give two sh**ts who you sleep with if you are a good soldier/airman/seaman.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2011, 12:52:27 PM »
« Edited: September 23, 2011, 05:59:19 AM by Mr. Moderate »

so, now it is ok for platoon members to take a poll of the gays among the ranks before deciding when to shower?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2011, 05:19:56 PM »

Is that saying anything?
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2011, 05:24:35 PM »

there's only two things that come out of Oklahoma...
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2011, 05:41:56 PM »

Well, at least I can use the sociopath defense:

*walks into psych exam*

"I'M GONNA KILL A WHOOOOOOOOOLE BUNCH OF CIVILIANS, YES I AM.  I MIGHT EVEN RAPE THEM FIRST."

They'd probably just point you in the direction of the police academy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies