Cities with two teams
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:29:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Cities with two teams
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Cities with two teams  (Read 4616 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2011, 01:48:15 PM »

I don't know if it means anything or not, but there are Cubs fans all over the upper plains, but you rarely run into a White Sox fan.  I'm sure WGN has a lot to do with it, it's not like the Cubs are an easy franchise to be a fan of (unless you like disappointment in your sports).
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.30

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2011, 04:53:14 PM »
« Edited: September 21, 2011, 05:59:42 PM by Dean Barkley »

Can any Bostonian comment on my Boston Globe story I posted since I read that Red Sox fans tend to draw from all sides where the Pats seem to be more male and blue collar.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/1990/04/15/who_are_the_boston_fans/

@dead0man, I always wonder if WGN never carried the Cubs that the team would have fanbase as large as their South Side rivals.

And what about the New York teams. Does the Yankees more of a white collar fanbase then the Mets? Who has the biggest minority fanbase out of the football teams?
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2011, 04:59:52 PM »

Can any Bostonian comment on my Boston Globe story I posted since I read that Red Sox fans tend to draw from all sides where the Pats seem to be more male and blue collar.

That article is hardly relevant  1. It was written by the Shank 2. It is 21 years old.  Further, I'm not sure if you've noticed but a lot has changed in the Boston sports landscape since then. 
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.30

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2011, 06:03:01 PM »

That article is hardly relevant  1. It was written by the Shank 2. It is 21 years old.  Further, I'm not sure if you've noticed but a lot has changed in the Boston sports landscape since then. 

I'm more pointing out the demographic and if the Boston sports landscape is really like what it was in 1990. And I'm talking all 4 Boston teams, not just the Patriots and Red Sox.
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2011, 09:26:04 PM »

Bunch of stuff about sports in the Bay Area

I'm one of those rare A's/49ers fans, which is easier if you're from the South Bay and have no vested interest in either San Francisco or Oakland over the either. Generally speaking though like you said you only root for San Francisco or Oakland teams not a mix of both. My friend for example is a huge 49ers/Giants fan but roots for the Lakers in basketball I suspect because he looks down on Oakland.

Sharks are an odd case. Big following in San Jose but I'm not sure how relevant they are outside of the South Bay.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2011, 09:48:38 PM »

AFL:

Adelaide and Perth are both 2-team towns with a very similar split. In Perth, the West Coast Eagles joined the league as a new team with no particular allegiance to the state league, and captur3ed all the support. Then, in ~1997, Fremantle, the most well-supported and successful state team, joined the national league. In South Australia, the Adeklaide Crows were the direct equivalent of the Eagles, and the Port Adelaide Power of the Dockers. The Power fans are generally considered to be the worst elements of lower classness, and Dockers fans the best elements of lowerclassness.

Sydney is about to get a second team, with the plan being on a geographic split between the Sydney Swans and the new "Greater Western Sydney Giants", who are also trying to become the team of choice for Canberra and Southern NSW.

Melbourne has 9 teams. The split was originally on geographic lines, with the exception of the Melbourne Demons, which was the upper classes team, based on the suburban home grounds of the teams. This has broadly disappeared, but the Western Bulldogs are still heavily focused in the Western suburbs, and St. Kilda Saints have tried to corner the Mornington peninsula market with some success. The biggest teams, Essendon Bombers, Carlton Blues, and Collingwood Magpies, no really have any location-based support, and are basically based on hereditary support.

Partly due to the original home suburbs of the teams, there is a loose socio-economic breakdown of the teams:

Western Bulldogs: Working class, was very white but now probably the most culturally diverse supporter group/

Essendon Bombers: Middle class, but has significant support in all parts of thwe city, from all groups, and all ethnicities.

North Melbourne Kangaroos: They have fans? Slight link to country areas.

Melbourne Demons: Seen as the club for the upper classes, private school going, captains of industry rotarians, and also the Jewish community.

Hawthorn Hawks: Eastern suburbs upper-middle classes. More popular than the Demons, but still has a slight inferiority complex.

St. Kilda Saints: Kinda hard to characterise.

Richmond Tigers: Historically working class, now probably still leans that way.

Carlton Blues: Most popular team among southern Europeans, and generally seen as working class/middle class.

Collingwood Magpies: Most people see them as scum, and have a reputation for being the team of society's dregs. I kinda like the Pies. Or at least I did until they won last year's Premiership and all their fans became incredibly annoying.

NRL:

Ask a Sydneysider. No clue.

A-League:

Melbourne now has two teams. There isn't yet an ethnic split, but there soon will be. Croats and Turks on one side, Greeks and Serbs on the other, everyone else falling where they may.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2011, 09:49:41 PM »

Fully agreed, Xahar. I've never met an A's fan who doesn't hold some sort of grudge against the Giants. Giants fans, on the other hand, never look down on the A's in normal circumstances (1989 excluded, of course). I wouldn't go so far as to say that the Giants predominate in the East Bay yet, though, but that certainly is changing. Oakland might even face contraction, which is sad, considering the historic nature of the team. Sad

Sharks are an odd case. Big following in San Jose but I'm not sure how relevant they are outside of the South Bay.

They have quite a large following outside of the South Bay. I know that where I live (the Tri-Valley) they are very much loved. I see multiple Sharks T-Shirts daily. Their fanbase is growing, definitely, especially since they are consistently one of the top teams in the NHL.

Now, on the other hand, what's up with all the damn Red Wings fans out here? Every time the Sharks play them, half the stadium is in red! Ridiculous.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2011, 10:49:33 PM »

The A's aren't going to be contracted. Don't worry about it. Contraction is an impossibility for myriad reasons.

Also, Lakers fans in the Bay Area are the worst people. My brother is one of them. It's disgusting.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2011, 10:56:45 PM »

The A's aren't going to be contracted. Don't worry about it. Contraction is an impossibility for myriad reasons.

Also, Lakers fans in the Bay Area are the worst people. My brother is one of them. It's disgusting.

Hah, I know. The Lakers bandwagon is just so dominant. I know more Lakers fans than Warriors fans. Though of course, the Warriors have only gone to the playoffs one time in the last fifteen years, and the Lakers are a perennial winner, so...
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2011, 11:12:06 PM »

Hah, I know. The Lakers bandwagon is just so dominant. I know more Lakers fans than Warriors fans. Though of course, the Warriors have only gone to the playoffs one time in the last fifteen years, and the Lakers are a perennial winner, so...

But that one time was really great.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2011, 11:45:30 PM »
« Edited: September 21, 2011, 11:48:13 PM by Politico »

Has anybody ever met a Clippers fan, let alone know anything about their fanbase? I have always been intrigued by how one ends up being a Clippers fan rather than a supporter of the Lakers (with the exception of Blake Griffin fans and folks who supported the Clippers back when they were in San Diego...I am surprised they have not gone back there, actually)
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2011, 12:06:42 AM »

All I know is Philadelphia should have kept the Athletics.  CLEARLY the better team than the Phillies until 2006.  Many said that was the wrong team to leave.

Pennsylvania as a whole...  Central PA are the WORST bandwagoners.  They split between the Steelers and the Phillies.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2011, 11:42:21 PM »
« Edited: September 23, 2011, 11:49:41 PM by sbane »

Fully agreed, Xahar. I've never met an A's fan who doesn't hold some sort of grudge against the Giants. Giants fans, on the other hand, never look down on the A's in normal circumstances (1989 excluded, of course). I wouldn't go so far as to say that the Giants predominate in the East Bay yet, though, but that certainly is changing. Oakland might even face contraction, which is sad, considering the historic nature of the team. Sad

They have quite a large following outside of the South Bay. I know that where I live (the Tri-Valley) they are very much loved. I see multiple Sharks T-Shirts daily. Their fanbase is growing, definitely, especially since they are consistently one of the top teams in the NHL.

Now, on the other hand, what's up with all the damn Red Wings fans out here? Every time the Sharks play them, half the stadium is in red! Ridiculous.

Oh yeah, Sharks are huge in the Tri-valley. Lots of Sharks jerseys around, as you said.

As for Football, I am a Raiders fan, though I have nothing against the 49ers. The year I started watching Football, Steve Young got a concussion and they sucked ever since. I gradually started following the Raiders more, but the blackouts were annoying. Then the Raiders actually made it to the Super Bowl...good times.  Anyways, my allegiance grew through college as I was in Socal and could actually watch the home games. Lots of Raider fans in Socal, so it was really like watching a home game even with my Socal buddies. Though the Raiders really did suck through all those times, but I was a loyal fan by then.

As for Baseball, I like both the Giants and the A's and hate both the Dodgers and the Angels. I like the A's a little more, and hate the Angels a little more.

Oh and I'm a Kings fan in Basketball. Those were some good times with Jason Williams and Chris Webber.... Nothing against the Warriors but they gave me nothing to cheer for.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies