Our prayers might be answered: Christie to decide on 2012 bid.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:56:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Our prayers might be answered: Christie to decide on 2012 bid.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9
Author Topic: Our prayers might be answered: Christie to decide on 2012 bid.  (Read 18691 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: October 02, 2011, 04:01:17 PM »

If he is the final boss then it's kind of funny that Herman Cain is apparently the second to last.

Herman Cain was one of the earlier bosses but then he comes back right before the final boss fight with new powers and abilities and twice the hit points.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #176 on: October 02, 2011, 04:05:15 PM »

If he is the final boss then it's kind of funny that Herman Cain is apparently the second to last.

Herman Cain was one of the earlier bosses but then he comes back right before the final boss fight with new powers and abilities and twice the hit points.

He's kinda like that octopus in Diddy Kong racing. He moves twice as fast and can fly the second time around. Cain is flying up the polls, but you know you'll eventually beat him to make it to the final boss, represented by a pig in Diddy Kong Racing and Christie in the Republican primary.

(Sorry, I hate the Christie fat jokes too, but this was just too easy)
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #177 on: October 02, 2011, 04:06:20 PM »

I'm actually pretty intrigued by the contrast between Christie and Huntsman.  There's not a huge gulf between them on policy as far as I can tell but the former is a conservative hero and the other has underwater favorables among Republicans.  It shows the significance of image and presentation.  Huntsman joined the Obama Administration and is branded a traitor whereas Christie has sounded like a conservative carnival barker, reminiscent in size and attitude to Rush Limbaugh.  (I genuinely think that has subconsciously made him more appealing to conservatives.)  But in a lot of ways the differences are superficial.  As a Democrat, I'm conflicted about a Christie run.  On one hand, I want Obama to win and recognize Christie would be a tough opponent in a general.  On the other, the benefit of someone conservatives trust (unlike Romney or Huntsman) telling them they're wrong about a lot of stuff could be good enough for the country for me to want the risk he wins.  And from an entertainment value, Obama-Christie could be stellar.  Lincoln-Douglas-like.  Not quite as dazzling a show as Obama-Cain or Obama-Bachmann but pretty damn good.

The other interesting contrast between Christie and Huntsman is in 2016 positioning.  No doubt they've both been eyeing it.  Republicans have for decades nominated the next-in-line.  (I realize this meme has skeptics but Reagan, Bush Sr, Dole and McCain all meet the criteria.  As does Romney who is fairly well-poised to get the nomination this year.  That would be five out of six, the only exception being the massively funded and connected governor son of the previous Republican president.)  So Huntsman's move to run in 2012 to play for 2016 seems like a strategically sound play on its face.  Yet Christie found a way around that.  He's a guy more tapped into or with advisers more tapped into the 21st Century landscape, as seen in his whole emergence in the first place: a strategy designed to use youtube and showmanship to elevate his national profile.  In the information superhighway-ed universe of today (Christie should pen Gore a thank you note), and the exponentially growing (no pun intended) presidential speculation that helped feed it, Christie became an insta-political rock star and prospective candidate.  He then resists courtship of a run instead of running and positions himself for 2016 just as well as Huntsman (though the bad economy and weak field might draw him in now). But signs of a new order in the GOP primary.  Which reminds me: Florida's going before Nevada.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #178 on: October 02, 2011, 04:18:32 PM »

Which reminds me: Florida's going before Nevada.

Not anymore. The NVRP voted to move the caucuses to the week after New Hampshire yesterday.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #179 on: October 02, 2011, 04:53:57 PM »

Which reminds me: Florida's going before Nevada.

Not anymore. The NVRP voted to move the caucuses to the week after New Hampshire yesterday.

Then it looks like I went off-topic, to a topic already covered and easily accessible, and shattered my credibility all with one short sentence!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #180 on: October 02, 2011, 05:35:06 PM »

3. He, like Huntsman, expilictly believes in antropogenic global warming
4. He supports civil unions
5. He supported the "ground zero mosque"
6. He has actively called out anyone who thinks Sharia Law is an issue in the US, along with the Tea Party in general

Ah, so he should do well with the sane, mainstream conservative wing of the party that still dominates. Nice.

What's this about him running ads tying himself to "Obama's message?" The "change Trenton, change Governors" ad? Oh, no. Challenger running against incumbent calls for change! I didn't know Obama owned that.

The only thing Obama-esque about those ads: Obama voters saying they were voting for Christie. No one is going to have an issue with that. The thought of that being an issue is so asinine. Christie wasn't embracing any of Obama's ideological beliefs; he was simply the alternative to a horrible Governor and used smart political strategy to make Obama voters (a clear majority of his state) feel comfortable supporting a conservative Republican.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #181 on: October 02, 2011, 05:36:34 PM »

6. He has actively called out anyone who thinks Sharia Law is an issue in the US, along with the Tea Party in general

Ah, so he should do well with the sane, mainstream conservative wing of the party that still dominates. Nice.

That's not the part of the party that is desperate for a candidate, though.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #182 on: October 02, 2011, 05:48:27 PM »

I'm pretty sure it is. I'm part of it. I have my favorite (who isn't likely to win at this point), I'm disappointed with my second choice (Perry has been very weak), I'm desperately searching for someone to stop Romney and I want someone who can truly turn this race on its head both in the primary and especially in the General. For all of my support for Perry earlier, I never thought he'd be a real game changer against Obama. Do I think he could beat him? Yes but Christie is the real deal. He's the one they fear. He's the one that can bring in a lot of Democrats and Independents that aren't sold on the current GOP field.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #183 on: October 02, 2011, 06:03:59 PM »

I will say this.  I sort of want Christie to run now just to see his head explode when Santorum rips into him at their first debate and Christie hits back.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #184 on: October 02, 2011, 06:08:11 PM »

I will say this.  I sort of want Christie to run now just to see his head explode when Santorum rips into him at their first debate and Christie hits back.

Fine by me. Santorum has made Perry his top target and that hasn't changed anything. At the end of the day, I greatly admire both of them.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #185 on: October 02, 2011, 06:24:29 PM »

What's this about him running ads tying himself to "Obama's message?" The "change Trenton, change Governors" ad? Oh, no. Challenger running against incumbent calls for change! I didn't know Obama owned that.

The only thing Obama-esque about those ads: Obama voters saying they were voting for Christie. No one is going to have an issue with that. The thought of that being an issue is so asinine. Christie wasn't embracing any of Obama's ideological beliefs; he was simply the alternative to a horrible Governor and used smart political strategy to make Obama voters (a clear majority of his state) feel comfortable supporting a conservative Republican.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That, more than anything else, guarantees that Christie won't win the nomination, or even come close to it. Standing against gun rights is a bit of a suicidal view in a Republican primary (especially in this climate), and those other ones certainly won't help.

Anyway, the bulk of his support would come from Romney, and that just results in Bachmann, Paul, Cain et al flying ahead.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #186 on: October 02, 2011, 07:10:56 PM »

Actually the polls suggest to the contrary. Mittens holds most of his support. Christie drains the rest. Of course, that could change after Christie is "exposed" as some horrible Northeastern "liberal."  But I tend to doubt it. Deep down, the Pubbies "know" the rest of the field just are not in the hunt for anything - nor should they be, except for my boy Huntsman, but he's done.  He just can't sell himself, and he has a lot of selling to do.

Palin is still hanging out there.  Tongue
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #187 on: October 02, 2011, 08:12:53 PM »

Actually the polls suggest to the contrary. Mittens holds most of his support. Christie drains the rest. Of course, that could change after Christie is "exposed" as some horrible Northeastern "liberal."  But I tend to doubt it. Deep down, the Pubbies "know" the rest of the field just are not in the hunt for anything - nor should they be, except for my boy Huntsman, but he's done.  He just can't sell himself, and he has a lot of selling to do.

Palin is still hanging out there.  Tongue

What polls? The most recent polls I recall featuring Christie were from a long, long time ago in an economy far, far away.

Mittens held his support against Perry because, as I said when people thought he had any chance and was a frontrunner of any kind, Perry is a bumbling moron who destroys his own campaign with every fourth word that comes out of his mouth. His attacks against Romney were utterly pathetic and he found himself the actual target of the field's attacks due to his (entirely media-fueled) incredible growth in the polls and thus crumbled.

Romney's supporters aren't an incredibly loyal vanguard willing to do anything to support him and incapable of changing views, they just hear that the race is "down to two candidates", look at Rick Perry floundering about in debates, and decide that Romney is the lesser of two evils. Were Christie in the race, the more moderate wing of Romney's support would break off, as would the "We want results and beating Obama is a priority" crowd.

Alternatively, if no one new enters and Perry remains beaten, just about any of the "second tier" or "one-and-a-half tier" could do a better job at hurting Romney than Perry did. Bachmann, Perry, Paul, Gingrich, Santorum even could put up a better fight, if only because they don't have the mass of easy targets that Perry had. If Romney attacked any of them, he might actually have to fight a spirited opponent rather than a sparring dummy.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #188 on: October 02, 2011, 09:21:49 PM »

Politico is reporting that three sources close to Christie say he is more likely than not to pass on the race. Sad It's coming down to a discussion between Christie and his wife.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1011/64959.html
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #189 on: October 02, 2011, 09:33:17 PM »

Next up: "A source close to the keyhole in the Christies' bedroom reports..."
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #190 on: October 02, 2011, 09:56:31 PM »

Phil, did you say at one time in 2008 that Fred Thompson was the best hope and the best candidate for the GOP, much the same as you are saying now about Christie?

Just a question.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #191 on: October 02, 2011, 10:27:47 PM »

I guess it's Cain v. Romney then. Woot!
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #192 on: October 02, 2011, 10:56:51 PM »

Actually, it is. Mitt's support is about a half-inch deep, based around the principle of "well, if this is all we've got ...". Mainstream conservatives want a candidate to be excited by, and mainstream conservatives would be very excited by Christie -- especially in an election dominated by fiscal/budget issues. After all, Christie's appeal is 50% budgetary, 50% attitude.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #193 on: October 02, 2011, 10:57:55 PM »

Phil, did you say at one time in 2008 that Fred Thompson was the best hope and the best candidate for the GOP, much the same as you are saying now about Christie?

Just a question.

Oh, yeah. So that means Christie is destined to be a failure like Thompson.

Hey, Winfield. Did you say at one time in 2008 that Mitt Romney was the best hope and the best candidate for the GOP, much the same as you are saying now about...Mitt Romney? I guess you're going to be 0 for 2, pal.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #194 on: October 02, 2011, 11:25:50 PM »

Actually, it is. Mitt's support is about a half-inch deep, based around the principle of "well, if this is all we've got ...". Mainstream conservatives want a candidate to be excited by, and mainstream conservatives would be very excited by Christie -- especially in an election dominated by fiscal/budget issues. After all, Christie's appeal is 50% budgetary, 50% attitude.

Even if they want someone other than Mitt, the desire of the hard right for a uniting candidate > than the desire of the mainstream Republican party for a candidate. The mainstream would, and probably will, accept Romney as their standard barer.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #195 on: October 03, 2011, 12:07:30 AM »

I would never compare Christie to someone like Fred Thompson. I think Christie actually has the energy and brain to run an effective campaign. I just wonder if, assuming for a second he does get in, he can organize and build out a campaign that quickly to where he can be ready when Iowa and New Hampshire roll around. Name recognition is one thing, but he'll need to be ready with issue knowledge and finances very quickly. I doubt he's discussing it with his wife tonight. He needs to be further along in forming a campaign if he is serious about running.

We'll see though. I'd happily vote for him if he were the nominee. My gut is just telling me he won't run this time.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #196 on: October 03, 2011, 09:21:23 AM »

I agree with what Duke says above.  I think Christie could raise money and perhaps get something of a ground game started in a few states by the time the voting starts, but it would only be an operation barely off the ground by January.  In addition, Iowa voters will probably not go for Christie, and he won't have much if any organization there, so he would be starting out with a loss where he finished, in all likelihood, below third.  It's always hard to know where New Hampshire voters will land, but Christie would probably make a stronger showing there than Perry.  I don't think he is South Carolina's cup of tea either, and I doubt Nevada Republicans are going to favor Christie over Mittens.  Don't get me wrong, I think Christie could be a very serious general election candidate, but it's hard for me to see a road ahead for him in the 2012 primaries, given the circumstances and given the mood the GOP base is in at the moment.  2016 could very well be a whole different story.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #197 on: October 03, 2011, 09:27:41 AM »

I want Cuomo v. Christie in 2016 for my maximum amusement.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #198 on: October 03, 2011, 10:16:04 AM »

Why would President Cain not run for re-election, Eraserhead?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #199 on: October 03, 2011, 10:19:56 AM »

This is actually kind of good to see since Trump is wrong an overwhelming majority of the time - http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1011/64985.html
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies