Dean endorses Kerry
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:15:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Dean endorses Kerry
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dean endorses Kerry  (Read 1660 times)
dunn

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 25, 2004, 04:57:32 PM »

Dean endorses Kerry

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry was back on the campaign trail on Thursday after almost a week on vacation, picking up a key endorsement from a formal rival.

At a rally at George Washington University, Kerry and former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean pledged to put their sometimes-bitter primary fight behind them.

"Howard and I understand this election is not about us," Kerry told the cheering crowd.

"It's not about a party. It's about our country. It's about you and your future."

Dean said he would use his campaign organization -- now rechristened "Democracy for America" -- to boost Kerry's campaign.

"In the end, it is Generation Dean voting for John Kerry for president of the United States that is going to send George Bush back to Texas where he belongs," Dean said.

For his part, Kerry promised to continue the "conversation with America" that Dean began.

And he and Dean both hammered at the Bush administration's reputation for credibility, with Kerry vowing to restore "people's trust that what we say, we mean, and that we mean what we say."

Dean used the same theme in his endorsement, telling the audience, "I know who I trust. I trust John Kerry. And that's who I'm voting for and that's who I'm working for."

Dean's outspoken opposition to the invasion of Iraq and his use of the Internet to rally supporters and donors made him the front-runner in polls before the first Democratic contests in Iowa and New Hampshire.

But those tactics failed to translate into votes: Back-to-back losses in those contests sent his campaign into a tailspin, and he abandoned his presidential bid in February. (CNN.com Special Report: America Votes 2004)

During the campaign, Dean blasted Kerry as a "Washington insider" who failed to stand up for Democratic principles. But Thursday, he said the two had put the campaign behind them after a meeting earlier this month.

"We're both tough competitors," Dean said. "But there are things in the campaign we talked about, focusing on the things that divide us. Now we're going to talk about the things that we have in common."

dunn

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 04:58:45 PM »

and the photo

Cadienne
Saudi Jake
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 05:00:13 PM »

Thats scary!
dunn

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2004, 05:01:27 PM »

lol
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2004, 05:02:43 PM »

First time Kerry's mentioned someone other than HIMSELF in one of his speeches.
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2004, 05:10:17 PM »

Outside of showing further Democratic unity this means very little. I hope Dean goes for a Senator or Congressman or something.

Siege40
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2004, 05:20:50 PM »

It's good for Kerry, but I doubt that it helps much in any important swing states...might help some in New Hampshre though.
zachman

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2004, 06:06:15 PM »

Is this asurprise, no. Is it valuable for Kerry to have Dean enthusiastic, probably. Does this hurt Dean's future, if any, as a maverick, yes.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2004, 06:12:25 PM »

Dean and Kerry hate each other, much like McCain and Bush hate each other, but it's nice to see both of them come together on a common goal.
DarthKosh

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2004, 06:33:01 PM »

Are they dating?  Is that why they are dressing alike.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies