Anwar Al-Awlaki dead
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:01:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Anwar Al-Awlaki dead
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Anwar Al-Awlaki dead  (Read 2213 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2011, 09:21:03 AM »

and more good news link
You must be logged in to read this quote.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2011, 02:06:24 PM »

But of course, if Al-Awlaki was a Christian, he would have been put on trial.

if a "Christian" was plotting terror attacks on the US, I'd be willing to kill him myself, just as I would Al-Awlaki...his religon doesnt make a difference to me if he is a terrorist

It does to the U.S. government though.

They are entirely different cases, but I don't think david koreshs christianity pulled any weight.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2011, 04:59:47 PM »

Technically, Obama could be impeached for murder now, couldn't he?

only idiots would want to impeach Obama for this...it was obviously the right choice and Obama deserves a standing ovation

I think my heart just gave out.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2011, 07:25:10 AM »

Yeah, the good old American 'strategy' (this is almost insulting to the concept of strategy) at work:

'SHOUT SHOOT SHOUT'

'WE ARE GOING TO KILL ANYBODY WHO DOES SOMETHING AGAINST THE USA!'

[Bomb/Murder]

'WE HAVE KILLED THE BAD GUYS!' or 'Justice has been done'

And then the USA still don't get why all a lot of people around the world have a problem with them...

No. There wasn't a war before USA opened one. There has been a giant terrorist attack, made by a bunch of guys who were part of an organization that was certainly smaller than one thousands persons around the world (and I think I'm generous). The biggest not military attack against a country ever, some terrorism. The response should have been counter-terrorism, and one with a strategy that should be a bit more dense than: BOMB!/KILL!

But the glorious USA administrations decided to turn it into a worldwide far-west in which they allow themselves to do whatever they want in any country and in which they think that bombing and murdering some guys will do any good to fight this terrorism. In short, they take over-imperialist measures to fight something which is mainly motivated by anti-imperialism (hell, just have a look to the dynamic that built Al Qaeda).

Questions:

Has there been more terrorism around the world before 9/11, or after? Has there been some Americans that turned into 'Muslim' terrorists against USA before or after? The development of terrorist organizations tied to Al Qaeda has it been bigger before 9/11 or after?

Observations:

15,000 civilian dead people in Afghanistan after 2001.
2,760 for 2010 only (UN figures), a figure which is disturbingly close from 9/11.

The 'War on Terror' seems to have a glorious assessment...

But hey, apparently, it doesn't prevent people to party around the murder of someone like if it was about a football victory.

And then you wonder why a lot of people around the world has a problem with this country, with what this country does...

Seems like in a...
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2011, 08:00:24 PM »

Yes, I am very pleased that someone who plots to kill me and my neighbors is dead.  Al Qaeda and fellow travellers had been attacking the United States or their interests for a decade with ever increasing deadliness.  We tried the soft, crime fighting, approach from before even 93 and it bore little fruit.  It emboldened terrorist organizations into bigger attacks like 9/11. They felt the US would retreat from the world stage when attacked and operated with impunity.

This may seem alien to you, but I think we take the fight to our enemies and eliminate them.  AQ's leadership has been dismantled and the large groups are running scared.  There is a proliferation of lone wolfs, but with sources of funding and training camps cut off the sophistication of the plots is amateur.

Civilian deaths are regrettable and our forces do what they can to avoid them 99% of the time and have clear R.O.E. Our enemies seem to have little regard for this.  Whether it be sawing local people's heads off, blowing up tribal elders who dare defy them, killing people commuters in a train station in Mumbai or using a ball bearing laden vest in a crowded market. Sadly, more civilians died in the 1990's from civil war before we got there and more will die after we leave.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies