I have come to the sad realization.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:45:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  I have come to the sad realization.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: I have come to the sad realization.  (Read 2693 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 03, 2011, 06:32:12 PM »

Christie will not run for the Presidency in 2012. The most recent flirtation was fun while it lasted but it will end this week once and for all.

It's pretty damn disappointing for those of us that really like the guy. The rumors over the past few weeks gave us a glimmer of hope but it's going to be too cruel when the possibility of a run is totally stomped out.

To add insult to injury, this means we're almost certainly stuck with Romney in spite of the fact that so many of us have an immense dislike for the man. Oh well.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 06:35:57 PM »

I had to double-check, if this is really Phil, or Vander again.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 06:37:34 PM »

What caused the dreaming of the impossible dream to come to an end Phil? 
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 06:47:49 PM »

It seems The Savior will not rise this time.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 06:54:58 PM »

To add insult to injury, this means we're almost certainly stuck with Romney in spite of the fact that so many of us have an immense dislike for the man. Oh well.

But Christie was just going to split the Romney vote with Romney anyway...Despite how the liberals attempted to characterize the Tea Party as a bunch of red-neck racists, the Tea Party is choosing Herman Cain as their candidate!

...if Cain can continue doing what he has been doing:  being clear and likeable, while toning it down.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 06:58:02 PM »

But Christie was just going to split the Romney vote with Romney anyway...Despite how the liberals attempted to characterize the Tea Party as a bunch of red-neck racists, the Tea Party is choosing Herman Cain as their candidate!

...if Cain can continue doing what he has been doing:  being clear and likeable, while toning it down.

I thought Michele Bachmann was the Tea Party candidate. Or was it Rick Perry? Or are they still holding out for Sarah?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 07:00:51 PM »

I thought Michele Bachmann was the Tea Party candidate. Or was it Rick Perry? Or are they still holding out for Sarah?

all of those blew their chance, so the Tea Party moved on....and they will do the same with Cain if he also blows it....so, what exactly is your point?
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 07:02:51 PM »

all of those blew their chance, so the Tea Party moved on....and they will do the same with Cain if he also blows it....so, what exactly is your point?

I think you just proved my point for me.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 07:06:09 PM »

When do you expect Cain to get beyond the sound bites, and actually say something detailed and substantive? Do you think his 999 plan pencils?  Do you think a national sales tax will sweep him to victory?  Yes, he's genial, and clearly the most personally likable of the bunch. That is not enough. And nobody has attacked him yet. They will if he presents a real challenge. I don't anticipate that myself.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 07:08:00 PM »

The 999 plan is what will kill him... mark my words.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 07:08:45 PM »

He was never going to run this year, same as when Ryan popped his own bubble 2 months ago. Plus, if you thought Romney v. Perry on immigration was tough, just imagine what Romney v. Christie would be like given that '08 quote floating round the Net. Plus the gun-grabbing.

Cain: ABR flavor of the week/month. Economists have already panned 999.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 07:11:31 PM »

Christie will probably run in 2016 if he wins re-election (which right now seems likely, but not immensely so) and if there isn't an incumbent Republican running. Otherwise, he's still relatively young, has the chance to pull a Huck and shave off some pounds, and as much as he bugs me (more personal than political) I see a future for the man.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 07:11:46 PM »

When do you expect Cain to get beyond the sound bites, and actually say something detailed and substantive? Do you think his 999 plan pencils?  Do you think a national sales tax will sweep him to victory?  Yes, he's genial, and clearly the most personally likable of the bunch. That is not enough. And nobody has attacked him yet. They will if he presents a real challenge. I don't anticipate that myself.

The GOP does NOT want another status quo nominee, rather the Tea Party is hungry for someone to really take this country in another direction.  And I think 9-9-9 is palatable to the GOP....they might not think it's the best thing since slice bread, but they will agree it is better than the current IRS and the current tax code.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 07:13:08 PM »
« Edited: October 03, 2011, 07:16:31 PM by Torie »

The GOP does NOT want another status quo nominee, rather the Tea Party is hungry for someone to really take this country in another direction.  And I think 9-9-9 is palatable to the GOP....they might not think it's the best thing since slice bread, but they will agree it is better than the current IRS and the current tax code.

The noisome little details just don't matter then. OK. Maybe he can flog the Sharia law "threat" to victory. By the way, he said he won't support Perry for POTUS if he is the nominee because he is soft on Mexicans. So when Perry collapses, I am sure the Perry folks will just flock to him. You know, these little missteps add up - if and when folks are reminded of them.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 07:14:55 PM »

no, he is going to have to tone it down on the Sharia bit since most dont see the threat.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 07:22:54 PM »

Said to see Christie won't be running /: I guess he does have a lot on his plate.

am i cool yet?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 09:26:44 PM »

Christie will not run for the Presidency in 2012. The most recent flirtation was fun while it lasted but it will end this week once and for all.

It's pretty damn disappointing for those of us that really like the guy. The rumors over the past few weeks gave us a glimmer of hope but it's going to be too cruel when the possibility of a run is totally stomped out.

Cheesy
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 09:32:17 PM »

You'll vote for Romney then, I suppose?
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2011, 09:40:33 PM »

He's not running, folks.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2011, 10:31:40 PM »

Cheesy
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2011, 10:37:05 PM »

That Mitt Romney is going to have to EARN my vote!!

Oh, who am I kidding?  Smiley
HST1948

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2011, 11:04:39 PM »

...if Cain can continue doing what he has been doing:  being clear and likeable, while toning it down.

How exactly does nominating Cain not fit the stereotype of the Tea Party being a bunch of redneck racist? Sure Cain is black, but other than that he fuels this stereotype with his rants about sharia law and "getting of the Democrats plantation".

Ignore.
The_Texas_Libertarian
TXMichael
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2011, 11:43:41 PM »

What is sad about Christie not running?  Don't the GOP want a chance for the White House?  If he decided to enter the race he would be destroyed by the other GOP candidates

He was pro-choice in his career prior to changing
He acknowledged climate change exists
He has spoken favorably of unions
He even has a history of some gun-control measures

Even though Romney has two of those four Romney has decided to go with the "corporations are people" line, so that helps him with part of the conservative base.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2011, 11:51:31 PM »

He was pro-choice in his career prior to changing

Yeah, I'm not exactly concerned with the guy being Pro Choice...as a Freeholder. I believe he had a genuine change of heart if he ran as a Pro Lifer in a statewide race.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Oh, no!

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Uh, really, dude? You think people will attack Christie, of all people, for being too favorable towards unions? Really?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2011, 11:52:00 PM »

I will continue to refuse to answer this question.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies