I have come to the sad realization.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:33:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  I have come to the sad realization.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: I have come to the sad realization.  (Read 2691 times)
The_Texas_Libertarian
TXMichael
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2011, 11:57:02 PM »

He was pro-choice in his career prior to changing

Yeah, I'm not exactly concerned with the guy being Pro Choice...as a Freeholder. I believe he had a genuine change of heart if he ran as a Pro Lifer in a statewide race.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Oh, no!

Uh, really, dude? You think people will attack Christie, of all people, for being too favorable towards unions? Really?

We are talking about the GOP primary here.  If one of the candidates says that Obama has a nice tie they'll drop in the polls. 

Not to mention Christie has also supported the other union; Civil unions

You know for same sex couples.  That idea that two adults can enter into a relationship which includes is an anathema for the GOP

Add that to the list to of how Christie will be attacked at the debates
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2011, 11:58:36 PM »

Oh, no! Another mainstream conservative position!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Romney supports a lot of those things, too, and he isn't looking like he's in bad shape right now.
The_Texas_Libertarian
TXMichael
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2011, 12:04:47 AM »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Romney supports a lot of those things, too, and he isn't looking like he's in bad shape right now.

Only 2 of the 5 positions that Christie has taken or currently holds were held by Romney at one point.  Although I am unsure if Romney has ever supported civil unions.

The social conservatives would have a field day with Christie.  They would make Perry's anti-cancer/pro-vaccine stance look nonsensical by comparison
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2011, 12:06:57 AM »

Only 2 of the 5 positions that Christie has taken or currently holds were held by Romney at one point.  Although I am unsure if Romney has ever supported civil unions.

Romney ran to the left of Ted Kennedy on gay rights so...yeah...

Not really. The man is, overall, socially conservative and social conservatives are trying to stop Romney at this point. Except for the few that want Palin to run, they're not looking anywhere else.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2011, 12:08:57 AM »

That's the problem... mainstream conservative few won't help you in an especially rabid GOP primary... in the GE sure...
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2011, 12:41:33 AM »

You'll vote for Romney then, I suppose?

I will continue to refuse to answer this question.

Eh, Romney should have like 5-6 months minimum after he wins the nomination to run a media campaign (which would include the Republican National Convention) designed to win the hearts and minds of people like you, among others. I'd be astonished if you weren't staunchly pro-Romney by October 31, 2012, gleefully commenting on BRTD's county map predictions showing Chester and Bucks counties both donning a blue hue for the first time since 1988 (assuming the job and credit markets remain in a similar shape). 
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2011, 02:07:56 AM »

Well Chiave di Volta, at least Romney is better than one of those southerners wackos.
The_Texas_Libertarian
TXMichael
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2011, 09:53:39 AM »

Romney ran to the left of Ted Kennedy on gay rights so...yeah...

Not really. The man is, overall, socially conservative and social conservatives are trying to stop Romney at this point. Except for the few that want Palin to run, they're not looking anywhere else.

Then Romney recanted, Romney is now against marriage and civil unions.  Romney takes the position which best suits him for the office he is running for.  The current Romney would have no chance in Massachusetts.

If you think Christie is going to save the day, enter the race and be the perfect GOP candidate then you are mistaken.  The same thing will happen to him that has happened to every major candidate.  He announces, has moderately high polling to begin with, then he will fall down a bit.  I really hope he runs so this can happen, plus I'd love to see him debate the others with his attitude. 
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2011, 10:03:43 AM »

A dream deferred.
The_Texas_Libertarian
TXMichael
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »

Well MSNBC is reporting that Christie is not running.  That's too bad, I would have enjoyed seeing the GOP debates with him
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2011, 11:35:01 AM »

Not surprising ...
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2011, 11:46:00 AM »

Perhaps if only to add some more fuel to the flames, I saw Mittens being interviewed by the Manchester Union Leader for an hour. He was very impressive! Yes he was. His depth of knowledge, and insight about issues, whatever was brought up, really impressed me. No other Pubbie candidate is in his league, at all, or anywhere near it.  So for the moment, I am now a Mittens bot. I was very reassured that he will be a very competent president, with a good temperament, and good judgment. Go Mittens!  Smiley

Phil can't your play a bit better with others?  Please? Thanks!
The_Texas_Libertarian
TXMichael
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2011, 11:53:38 AM »

No thanks. Not interested in your trolling today...or ever.

Seriously, if you want to address my take on what could have been a Christie candidacy, don't be disingenuous. I never suggested that he would be "perfect", that everything would run smoothly and that he would never have attacks made against him. Never.

You are the one tossing aside Christie's liberal history

Supporting of
Gun Control measures
Civil Unions for same sex couples
Pro-Choice before flipping for higher office
The admission that humans have an impact on the environment
Obama's education reform while calling him a "great ally"

You can ignore the facts all you want, but the thing about facts is they are true whether you admit it or not
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2011, 12:15:44 PM »

Seriously, if you want to address my take on what could have been a Christie candidacy, don't be disingenuous. I never suggested that he would be "perfect", that everything would run smoothly and that he would never have attacks made against him. Never.

Supporting of
Gun Control measures

You can ignore the facts all you want, but the thing about facts is they are true whether you admit it or not

I've addressed that several times in this thread and in others. I'm sorry you missed the points. And in addressing those issues, I admitted that they would be used and not everyone would be happy with Christie's stance. Again, I'm sorry that you ignored my responses.
The_Texas_Libertarian
TXMichael
United States

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2011, 12:23:36 PM »

Supporting of
Gun Control measures

I've addressed that several times in this thread and in others. I'm sorry you missed the points. And in addressing those issues, I admitted that they would be used and not everyone would be happy with Christie's stance. Again, I'm sorry that you ignored my responses.

Your responses were based on the fact that Romney had been in the same position with a few of those issues while casually dismissing the others.

Christie also voiced support for a pathway to citizenship, another anathema to the GOP

The guy essentially has the negatives of Perry, the negatives of Romney, with the positives of neither.  It's ok to be upset that your responses don't hold water, but that doesn't justify name calling.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2011, 12:47:43 PM »

Your responses were based on the fact that Romney had been in the same position with a few of those issues while casually dismissing the others.

I casually dismissed points when I didn't believe they would be legitimate issues.

He has his own positives. Just because you dislike the guy doesn't mean you should ignore his positives. Take a look at the polls that PPP released today. People know and like Christie within the GOP. That doesn't just come from no where. People like his style and love one of the reasons he has become famous.
The_Texas_Libertarian
TXMichael
United States

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2011, 01:02:59 PM »

I casually dismissed points when I didn't believe they would be legitimate issues.

He has his own positives. Just because you dislike the guy doesn't mean you should ignore his positives. Take a look at the polls that PPP released today. People know and like Christie within the GOP. That doesn't just come from no where. People like his style and love one of the reasons he has become famous.

Conservatives also know and like Bachmann.  Trump was also up in the polls.  Cain has seen a recent surge.

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2011, 01:15:29 PM »

Problem is, that for many in Tea Party crowd those positions are just too liberal.

Christie had no option but to skip 2012. If he's reelected (which is likely) and if there's no GOP incumbent in 2016 (which isn't that safe bet), he'll be a frontrunner.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2011, 02:27:02 PM »

Our time will come Phil. Giuliani and Santorum are terrible candidaates but 2016 will be Christie vs. Cuomo if Obama wins. We will have a Northeastern Italian President soon. Smiley
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2011, 03:11:21 PM »

Our time will come Phil. Giuliani and Santorum are terrible candidaates but 2016 will be Christie vs. Cuomo if Obama wins. We will have a Northeastern Italian President soon. Smiley
Not if Feingold decides to challenge Walker in Wisconsin. Democrats might hop on the progressive train then.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2011, 03:22:44 PM »

We will have a Northeastern Italian President soon. Smiley

Yeah, for the record, that has absolutely nothing to do with why I wanted Christie to run so badly.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies