$250,000 a year isn't rich!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:24:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  $250,000 a year isn't rich!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Author Topic: $250,000 a year isn't rich!  (Read 13593 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2011, 05:09:10 PM »

Someone on $250,000 a year is certainly rich. Median household income in the U.S is about $50,000. Just for context, you know.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2011, 05:10:29 PM »

Someone on $250,000 a year is certainly rich. Median household income in the U.S is about $50,000. Just for context, you know.

Everyone in America considers themselves to be middle class.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2011, 05:11:05 PM »

You do know that Wall Street makes more political contributions to Dems than Pubbies don't you?  This ain't Britain!  Who knew? Tongue
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2011, 05:12:16 PM »

Smoking>eating

Haha the three of us could have a fun sesh

Smoking hash > smoking bud > eating (the body high is way too intense)

As for the title, it's true. Making 250 k a year does not make you rich, it makes you upper middle class. That doesn't mean that taxes shouldn't be raised on their bracket though, they could easily afford to be "soaked" and haven't been hit very hard by the recession.

Hash is too much for me. I like walking. Smiley

Pathetic.  I can work out for two hours!  Tongue
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2011, 05:13:45 PM »

You do know that Wall Street makes more political contributions to Dems than Pubbies don't you?  This ain't Britain!  Who knew? Tongue

Oh, I know all that. It just seemed that some... er... facts... would help to cast a little more light, around. You know.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2011, 05:17:11 PM »

Oh, I know all that. It just seemed that some... er... facts... would help to cast a little more light, around. You know.

Ah yes, facts are stubborn things. You're stealing my lines now, you purloiner you!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2011, 05:19:51 PM »

Ah yes, facts are stubborn things.

As both Lukács and Reagan argued, they are actually stupid things.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

What are you going to do about it? Sue me?
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2011, 05:25:19 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2011, 05:27:17 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

By American standards, it's upper middle class.

If a bunch of Trots, Anarchists and annoying counter-culture types made people who make around 250,000 dollars be on their "team" against the "wealthy elite banksters", the rest of society definitely feels that 250,000 dollars isn't rich.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2011, 05:32:57 PM »

Yeah 250k is rich, but the fiscal crisis won't be solved by just raising taxes on them. Those with lower incomes will need to be soaked as well. When push comes to shove, do you think income taxes should be indexed to cost of living? The SF Bay Area probably has a median income of about 75-80k but probably about the same disposable income as the rest of the country. So should a family making 80k in the Bay Area pay the same as one making the same in Harris County, Texas?
Link
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2011, 05:40:56 PM »

Yeah 250k is rich, but the fiscal crisis won't be solved by just raising taxes on them. Those with lower incomes will need to be soaked as well. When push comes to shove, do you think income taxes should be indexed to cost of living? The SF Bay Area probably has a median income of about 75-80k but probably about the same disposable income as the rest of the country. So should a family making 80k in the Bay Area pay the same as one making the same in Harris County, Texas?

Yes.  If they don't like it move to Harris County.  We cannot remain in a fiscal quagmire because some people wish to live in over priced cities.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2011, 05:43:27 PM »

So you don't think people already go where the jobs are? So if one wants to do a job that is in the Bay Area, and not get screwed, too bad for them, huh?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2011, 05:48:23 PM »

Ah yes, facts are stubborn things.

As both Lukács and Reagan argued, they are actually stupid things.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

What are you going to do about it? Sue me?

Well since the loser does not pay the winner's attorney's fees in the former colonies ...  Tongue
Link
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2011, 05:55:28 PM »

So you don't think people already go where the jobs are? So if one wants to do a job that is in the Bay Area, and not get screwed, too bad for them, huh?

Well the job will go unfilled if no applicants want to work for the wage offered and live in San Fran.  When that happens either the wage will go up or the company will move.  As more companies relocate their staff there will be less demand for housing, food, gas, etc and prices will come down.

People that live in NYC and San Fran are a special interest.  Our tax code has already been wrecked by special interests why start catering to more?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2011, 05:59:22 PM »

Well the job will go unfilled if no applicants want to work for the wage offered and live in San Fran.  When that happens either the wage will go up or the company will move.  As more companies relocate their staff there will be less demand for housing, food, gas, etc and prices will come down.

People that live in NYC and San Fran are a special interest.  Our tax code has already been wrecked by special interests why start catering to more?

Well I sort of like the idea of getting a tax cut when I move into a really chic neighborhood myself. Deal with it! Life is just so beautiful. I  can't stand it! 
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2011, 06:05:04 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2011, 06:07:05 PM by sbane »

Well I sort of like the idea of getting a tax cut when I move into a really chic neighborhood myself. Deal with it! Life is just so beautiful. I  can't stand it! 

Yeah, professions like Lawyers, Doctors, Optometrists, Pharmacists etc. will have to be excluded. They can work most anywhere. Always trying to game the system, eh? Tongue

I was thinking of high tech workers in the Bay Area or financial industry workers in NYC when I was thinking of this....come to think of it what industry is there in LA that is not there anywhere else? Movies are made in Canada these days anyways...Maybe I was wrong about the LA area. Sorry, Torie, I think you have to move to the Bay Area. Tongue
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2011, 06:05:52 PM »

Rich is a relative term... when you're 5 a friend that gets $100 from their grandmother is 'rich'

And we have had this debate here too...

For example - a family of 4, let's say Dad works in IT and earns $175,000 - Mum's a teacher on $70,000.

Now... there are two routes for this family - and it is all about choice in my mind.

In 2003, they mortgage themselves up to the hilt for a $700,000 McMansion - but they already have $45,000 in credit card debt, they insist on sending their kids to private schools ($30,000 PA) and they have new cars... and then they complain that they have nothing left at the end of the week.... they brought it on themselves.

However, if you're careful spend $30,000 on renovating the old family house  and sending the kids to the local public (which is generally a reasonable thing to do in Sydney (except in the Outer western suburbs)... don't wrack up a lot of debt and SAVE... then yes that family is very comfortable.

Now family a) has every right to spend their earned money however they want, but has less of a right to complain when they have money troubles.

Even though I am an Gen-Y'er and am constantly told what is wrong with my generation wanting it now, now, now... - but in my experience circumstances have forced my generation to be VERY careful when it comes to marriage and other forms of 'establishment'.

Now, I'm guilty of silly money-handling at times, after rent/bills I could easily save 45% of my income... I don't, but I could, it's closer to 25%. I'm buying a property next year, but not until I had 15% deposit and my income was over a certain level, that in my mind made me comfortable... but this is my choice.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2011, 06:08:37 PM »

Anyways the moral of the story is to move to places like Collin County, TX or Williamson County, TN and live the good life.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2011, 06:17:06 PM »

Collin County, Texas!  I'd rather live in hell right next door to my pal Mark Twain!

By the way, I really love sbane's ideas. You see, the litigation potential is just so awesome. It's even better than a tax cut - yes it is.  Yummy.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2011, 06:23:44 PM »

Collin County, Texas!  I'd rather live in hell right next door to my pal Mark Twain!

By the way, I really love sbane's ideas. You see, the litigation potential is just so awesome. It's even better than a tax cut - yes it is.  Yummy.

Can you please never write that again... I just had porridge and it almost came back up...
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2011, 06:25:48 PM »

Can you please never write that again... I just had porridge and it almost came back up...
Lol!
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2011, 07:19:57 PM »

By the way, I really love sbane's ideas. You see, the litigation potential is just so awesome. It's even better than a tax cut - yes it is.  Yummy.

Oh god, please don't let that become a staple of your vocabulary like "puppy" and "pubbie".
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2011, 07:25:09 PM »

What is so terrible about "yummy?" Pray tell, how have I sinned -  the better so that I shall sin no more?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2011, 07:27:25 PM »

By the way, I really love sbane's ideas. You see, the litigation potential is just so awesome. It's even better than a tax cut - yes it is.  Yummy.

Oh god, please don't let that become a staple of your vocabulary like "puppy" and "pubbie".

It's Pubbie - and don't you like cute little baby dogs that poop on your carpet?  Are you human?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2011, 07:35:42 PM »

Too late.

Oh it's a video. How yummy. To try to be "fair" to Perry (and that is damn hard for me to do since I dislike the man so much), I think a possible interpretation is that Bruce was saying Perry was an idiot about the Fed (obviously!), rather than an idiot in general. But maybe not!  Tongue
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2011, 07:42:36 PM »

This entire thread makes me laugh a little at the way these numbers get thrown around (in what seems to me) like we're using Monopoly money. I'm not sure I have much of a coherent point in this post, but it may give a little perspective about middle America away from the coasts and big cities.

A few notes... the township I grew up in outside Sandusky has a median family income of $41k a year and we're the "rich suburb" in comparison since Sandusky's median family income of $31k a year. My parents' salaries added together were about $100k a year before our current recession and we're probably the richest people in our neighborhood, or close to it.

Oh, and the $700,000 home someone mentioned.... where I'm from that's insane. For 700 grand it had better be a huge lakefront mansion next door to Cedar Point. Anyone who'd ever consider buying a $700k house is rich and knows it. My parents' house is worth about $120k. They probably paid less than half that amount for it 25 years ago when they bought it off my grandparents. Yup, my Dad grew up in the same house I did. Of course then it was surrounded by corn fields and now it's in a neighborhood, a nice neighborhood at that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies