Closet Republicans? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:36:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Closet Republicans? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Closet Republicans?  (Read 9044 times)
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« on: December 23, 2004, 10:18:10 PM »

The vast bulk of the US is utterly homogenous, consisting of highways, suburbs, malls, fast food restaurants, etc. 

And this is a bad thing because....?

Seriously, I don't see a suburban lifestyle as all that bad.  It depends on the suburb, and where. The worst things are lack of public transit and heavy traffic.

Any decent suburb will have better-than-fast-food restaurants (mostly chains - Olive Garden, Bennigans, Don Pablo's, Pizzeria Uno, etc - stuff that you might not like but suits me fine), both outlet and luxury malls, and most importantly (for me) a Barnes & Noble or similar large bookstore. I also like to have some space - large rooms ( If/ when i become a decently financed adult with a wife and kids, i would like to get one of those much-despised 'McMansions' - the small lot means less upkeep, and lots of interior room), unobtrusive neighbors, some greenery (I don't mean a park or a few trees along the sidewalk, but just grass and shrubs, even a smallish lawn),etc. A balance between rural and urban.

I admit that pure 'red-state' suburb might not be my cup of tea -  but inner cities (even ones with large middle-class population) are often dirty, crowded, and have traffic problems as bad or worse than suburbs (I've been to New York several times, and while it's a nice place to visit, I'd probably would not live there - 'Middle Class' usually means an apartment. DC is even worse, the city itself lacks a middle class altogether).

BTW, I'm in Montgomery County, MD. Solid Democrat, although a few of the northern areas (like Damascus) probably lean Republican. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies