Closet Republicans? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:31:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Closet Republicans? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Closet Republicans?  (Read 9043 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« on: December 23, 2004, 12:42:27 PM »

I think this big change in areas like San Fransisco and Northern California in general is due to the phenomenon of wealthy or very well paid liberal people seeking a type of lifestyle that is completely atypical in the US.  Basically these people - who generally made a lot of money in the 1990s, and who are very socially liberal while not all that economically liberal - have flooded in to the few tolerable zones while the more right leaning voters have flooded out. 

The vast bulk of the US is utterly homogenous, consisting of highways, suburbs, malls, fast food restaurants, etc.  Anyone with any money or taste would want to escape this horror, and they do so in what few places have not succumbed to the trend.  I have never been to San Fransisco, but I assume it is one.  Anyone know of others?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2004, 05:36:28 AM »

The vast bulk of the US is utterly homogenous, consisting of highways, suburbs, malls, fast food restaurants, etc. 

And this is a bad thing because....?

Seriously, I don't see a suburban lifestyle as all that bad.  It depends on the suburb, and where. The worst things are lack of public transit and heavy traffic.

Any decent suburb will have better-than-fast-food restaurants (mostly chains - Olive Garden, Bennigans, Don Pablo's, Pizzeria Uno, etc - stuff that you might not like but suits me fine), both outlet and luxury malls, and most importantly (for me) a Barnes & Noble or similar large bookstore. I also like to have some space - large rooms ( If/ when i become a decently financed adult with a wife and kids, i would like to get one of those much-despised 'McMansions' - the small lot means less upkeep, and lots of interior room), unobtrusive neighbors, some greenery (I don't mean a park or a few trees along the sidewalk, but just grass and shrubs, even a smallish lawn),etc. A balance between rural and urban.

I admit that pure 'red-state' suburb might not be my cup of tea -  but inner cities (even ones with large middle-class population) are often dirty, crowded, and have traffic problems as bad or worse than suburbs (I've been to New York several times, and while it's a nice place to visit, I'd probably would not live there - 'Middle Class' usually means an apartment. DC is even worse, the city itself lacks a middle class altogether).

BTW, I'm in Montgomery County, MD. Solid Democrat, although a few of the northern areas (like Damascus) probably lean Republican. 

I'll admit that the interiors of those new homes can be spacious, if lacking in the craftsmanship of the older urban homes.  Of course apartment living is usually going to be more cramped than a house - though not always - there are plenty of 1900-1930's apartments back in St. Louis that are bigger than a lot of houses.

But as for chain food, I don't care how 'upscale' it is - it is inedible in my opinion.  I refuse to eat it, even for free (as in lunches with the elderly exurban parents).  I'd rather eat in the greasiest locally owned diner than those places, and of course ethnic restaurants blow them all away.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2004, 01:32:42 PM »
« Edited: December 28, 2004, 06:25:44 AM by opebo »

I don't mean a park or a few trees along the sidewalk, but just grass and shrubs, even a smallish lawn),etc.

I'll admit that the interiors of those new homes can be spacious, if lacking in the craftsmanship of the older urban homes.
The thing about newer American housing is, from a European perspective, that it's incredibly spacious but also incredibly shoddily built. Or vice versa, as you prefer.
And being a Frankfurt city man I don't want need grass and shrubs, certainly no lawn, but I do want a few trees along the sidewalk. Smiley
Oh, and one more thing that hasn't been said: "clean", in housing environments, is a dirty word. To me personally, that is. I've never felt well in a city that didn't look at least a teeny bit dusty.

Yes I remember European buildings - very high quality.  Even the buildings here in Thailand seem a bit nicer, as they're made of concrete and 'rebar' steel, instead of wood, plywood, and drywall.  Everything in US houses seems like you could just poke a hole in it.   
I also agree that a few trees along the sidewalk is more important than a lawn or all that - who really spends all their time playing badminton or croquet.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies