Closet Republicans? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:10:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Closet Republicans? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Closet Republicans?  (Read 9059 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: December 27, 2004, 12:28:55 PM »

I don't mean a park or a few trees along the sidewalk, but just grass and shrubs, even a smallish lawn),etc.

I'll admit that the interiors of those new homes can be spacious, if lacking in the craftsmanship of the older urban homes.
The thing about newer American housing is, from a European perspective, that it's incredibly spacious but also incredibly shoddily built. Or vice versa, as you prefer.
And being a Frankfurt city man I don't want need grass and shrubs, certainly no lawn, but I do want a few trees along the sidewalk. Smiley
Oh, and one more thing that hasn't been said: "clean", in housing environments, is a dirty word. To me personally, that is. I've never felt well in a city that didn't look at least a teeny bit dusty.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2004, 10:43:35 AM »

I hate when liberals treat suburban food like its cat food.  Yes, maybe Taco Bell is, but there are plenty of good restuarants in the suburbs that compete with restuarants in world-class cities.  World class suburbs like Schaumburg IL, Orange County CA, Tysons Corner VA, Oakland County MI, Fort Lauderdale FL, Arlington TX, Bloomington MN, Bellevue WA, Scottsdale AZ, and so forth are almost cities themselves and offer a great variety of entertainment, food (ethnic & chain), recreation, lodging, shopping, and more in a classy atmosphere.  The buildings may be 300 ft. instead of 1000 ft. and the lack of mass transit may exist but these "edge cities" are havens for suburbanites and tourists alike.  They are simply smaller versions of the urban downtowns.  Everything in the suburbs is not a McDonalds and Wal Mart off the highway.

The only decent restaurants in this area are within a few blocks of each other in downtown Harrisburg in the restaurant/club district.

Otherwise it's just Applebees and Ruby Tuesdays.
Harrisburg is nowhere near major enough to have any serious subcentres in its suburbia.

And as per catfood - hey, it's not that bad. Ever try? Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies