Does Mixed Member Proportional Representation Violate One Man, One Vote?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:43:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Does Mixed Member Proportional Representation Violate One Man, One Vote?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Does Mixed Member Proportional Representation Violate One Man, One Vote?  (Read 4402 times)
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 11, 2011, 01:20:36 AM »

I saw the video below on youtube a couple days ago and was very intrigued by it.  I'm wondering what Constitutional hurdles this method of voting would face in the US.  The one that comes immediately to mind is the one man, one vote principle that ended the practice of at large representation in states with multiple House members.  Does anyone see any other major conflicts with the Constitution?  Although it wouldn't be completely necessary I think we'd also need to move to a unicameral legislative branch for this to work best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT0I-sdoSXU

As a side note, I highly recommend watching this guy's other videos.  They are both informative and humorous.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 04:38:30 AM »

I don't see why it would. Every voter has equal power.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 02:57:51 PM »

I don't see how it violates one person, one vote. People are voting for two different representatives; their local one and the (proportional) group pool from which the rest of the seats are allocated based on the proportional vote.

As a side note, I highly recommend watching this guy's other videos.  They are both informative and humorous.

Oh man that naming difference video for UK/Britain/England/etc cleared some things up. So confusing Tongue
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 06:42:24 PM »

I'm wondering what Constitutional hurdles this method of voting would face in the US.  The one that comes immediately to mind is the one man, one vote principle that ended the practice of at large representation in states with multiple House members.  Does anyone see any other major conflicts with the Constitution?

You are wrong.  One man, one vote had nothing to do with ending at-large House seats.  They ended a couple decades earlier when Congress used its Article I Section 4 power to alter the regulations for choosing Representatives to force the States to use single method districting for apportioning their Federal Representatives.  Nor does one man, one vote preclude multi-member districts. Indeed, South Carolina in the decade after one man, one vote came into being used a kludge where the Senate was elected from multi-county districts that had multiple members (prior to one man, one vote, the legislative delegation from each county also served as the county council, it took them a few years to decide how they were going to reorganize how county government was elected).

The main Constitutional impediment to adopting MMP for the U.S. House is the requirement that Representatives can only represent a single State.  Hence to implement MMP in the U.S. House for all States without a constitutional amendment would require a massive increase in the size of the House.  MMP is effectively meaningless in States that have only 1 or 2 Representatives, and even in those with just 3, it would be not particularly useful.  I can't see the U.S. going to a 2000 or more member House just to enable MMP to be used in the selection of every State's delegation.

Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 01:35:58 AM »

Thanks for all the great responses guys!

The main Constitutional impediment to adopting MMP for the U.S. House is the requirement that Representatives can only represent a single State.  Hence to implement MMP in the U.S. House for all States without a constitutional amendment would require a massive increase in the size of the House.  MMP is effectively meaningless in States that have only 1 or 2 Representatives, and even in those with just 3, it would be not particularly useful.  I can't see the U.S. going to a 2000 or more member House just to enable MMP to be used in the selection of every State's delegation.

I wondered about this myself.  I feel like MMP isn't effective if your state is electing less than 8 members and its really best to have 10 or more to make it truly effective.  I'm not sure how you could address that problem within the US system.  Its hard to imagine a functional legislative branch with over 1000 members.  At the same time I'm not really sure you're using MMP if your second round of elections is nationwide.  The parties would certainly need to be limited in the number of at-large members they could pick from one state.  I'm not sure what the ideal situation would be.  I do know that there has to be something better than what we currently have which gives a disproportionate amount of power to states with small populations.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 03:29:09 AM »

I've become more accepting of MMP, actually. I still don't like the lack of influence the voters have on the composition of the party lists...but I do agree that it's a fair and effective system where it's used (such as in Germany).
republicanism
Germany

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 06:18:08 AM »

I've become more accepting of MMP, actually. I still don't like the lack of influence the voters have on the composition of the party lists...but I do agree that it's a fair and effective system where it's used (such as in Germany).

You can do MMP without any party lists though, if you let the "best losers" of a party get the additional seats.
I think in Baden-Württemberg they elect their Landtag that way.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies