Lingle for Hawaii
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:12:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Lingle for Hawaii
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Lingle for Hawaii  (Read 4083 times)
ukchris82
Rookie
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 11, 2011, 08:51:55 AM »

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/131499778.html

Former Gov. Linda Lingle is expected to announce as soon as Tuesday that she will run in the Republican primary for U.S. Senate, sources say.

Lingle is scheduled to speak at a noon luncheon of the Sales and Marketing Executives International at the Pacific Club. The topic is how decisions made in Washington, D.C., can affect local businesses and the community.

U.S. Rep. Mazie Hirono, D-Hawaii, and former U.S. Rep. Ed Case are the Democratic contenders to replace U.S. Sen. Daniel Akaka, D-Hawaii, who is not seeking another term next year.
I Am Feeblepizza.
ALF
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 09:13:50 AM »

This race will still be noncompetitive unless Schatz pulls off a miracle and wins the Democratic nom.
HST1948

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 10:24:24 AM »

I honestly don't think that she'd make this any more competitive than any of the other Republicans out there. Anyone who thinks Lingle would win this under normal circumstances is probably thinking about first term Lingle who had approval ratings in the upper 70's, not second term Lingle who left office with approvals in the low 40's.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 10:27:44 AM »

It should be more competitive with her in it than it would be if it were some no-name Republican, of course. But nowhere near as close as it would have to be to win, probably.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 11:06:31 AM »

I'll probably refer to her as "Zero-Chance-Linda" from now on.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 01:55:53 PM »

Likely D -> Tossup

jk

Still Likely D.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 03:12:10 PM »

Good for Hawaii. It deserves an interesting Senate race, for once.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 04:22:43 PM »

Hey, at least she'll make the Dems spend more (maybe not much but still something) than they planned.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 04:50:50 PM »

Hey, at least she'll make the Dems spend more (maybe not much but still something) than they planned.

Its more likely she'll make her party waste money there. The DSCC would be very dumb to pour money into a race which they have a 99.9% chance of winning.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 04:55:26 PM »

Its more likely she'll make her party waste money there. The DSCC would be very dumb to pour money into a race which they have a 99.9% chance of winning.

Uh, the NRSC has a ton of real pickup opportunities. They aren't going to waste money in Hawaii.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 04:58:26 PM »

Not really sure why she's bothering. I mean, kudos to her for providing something arguably more substantial than token opposition, but there's still no realistic chance of her winning. If I was Lingle I'd just go into lobbying or whatever it is ex-politicians do with their time.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 06:39:33 PM »
« Edited: October 11, 2011, 07:09:39 PM by Ogre Mage »

Not really sure why she's bothering. I mean, kudos to her for providing something arguably more substantial than token opposition, but there's still no realistic chance of her winning. If I was Lingle I'd just go into lobbying or whatever it is ex-politicians do with their time.

Perhaps they offered her something behind closed doors in exchange for running.  Or maybe she is just being a good soldier and taking one for the team.  I would agree that Lingle has a snowball in Hawaii chance of winning.

For the GOP this is a positive development, even though a loss is a virtual certainty.  As a former governor, Lingle will be able to fundraise fine on her own.  And symbolically, the Hawaii GOP is not embarrassing itself by putting up a non-entity U.S. Senate candidate.  Which is more than the WA GOP can say, lol.
Rochambeau jk I'm Hamilton
Conservatarian1989
Rookie
United States
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 06:49:25 PM »

Endorsed Cheesy
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 06:58:09 PM »

Solid Democrat

PPP tweet:

"Linda Lingle will be the most overrated Senate recruit of the cycle. Polling has consistently found Hawaii voters don't like her anymore."

Completely agree. Good luck running against Obama's coattails...this is Hawaii people, let's get real...
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 07:09:06 PM »
« Edited: October 11, 2011, 07:11:52 PM by wormyguy »

Uh, the NRSC has a ton of real pickup opportunities. They aren't going to waste money in Hawaii.

You mean the same NRSC that spent millions of dollars attacking the only viable candidate in California last year for supposedly being insufficiently pro-Israel, then dumped millions of dollars better spent elsewhere into California attempting to prove themselves right?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 08:30:55 PM »

You mean the same NRSC that spent millions of dollars attacking the only viable candidate in California last year for supposedly being insufficiently pro-Israel, then dumped millions of dollars better spent elsewhere into California attempting to prove themselves right?

We had limited opportunities in 2010. 2012 is a totally different story, dude. We had to compete in places where, even in a 2010 environment, we weren't likely to win. That won't be the case next year.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2011, 12:46:14 AM »

I think the best news out of this is that Hawaii Republicans have a chance of gaining some seats back in the state legislature with her at the top of the ticket. If a no name was the nominee, Democrats would have an excellent chance of controlling 100% of the State Senate seats (The Republican caucus is at a rump of 1 senator now). That's not good for democracy.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2011, 02:10:49 AM »

I think the best news out of this is that Hawaii Republicans have a chance of gaining some seats back in the state legislature with her at the top of the ticket. If a no name was the nominee, Democrats would have an excellent chance of controlling 100% of the State Senate seats (The Republican caucus is at a rump of 1 senator now). That's not good for democracy.

Agree. But Lingle's victory itself doesn't looks too likely to me. If only anainst Ed Case, who is hated by many Democrats...
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 05:29:07 PM »

Agree. But Lingle's victory itself doesn't looks too likely to me. If only anainst Ed Case, who is hated by many Democrats...

Perhaps he will ruin another election for Democrats there. Although I don't think he has the guts to run as a write-in if he loses the primary.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2011, 11:05:58 PM »
« Edited: October 12, 2011, 11:55:32 PM by Ogre Mage »

Perhaps he will ruin another election for Democrats there. Although I don't think he has the guts to run as a write-in if he loses the primary.

Impossible, because Hawaii has a ban on write-in voting.  This was challenged in federal court.  In 1992, the Supreme Court upheld Hawaii's law 6-3.  Lingle will only be facing a single Democratic opponent in 2012 which is one of several reasons why I am 99% sure she will be defeated.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19920608&slug=1496138

That said, the Democratic candidate (hopefully Hirono) cannot afford to run a sleepwalk campaign against the former governor of the state.  But I think Hawaii Dems recognize that and will respond appropriately.
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2011, 12:14:18 AM »

Can't blame the Republicans for trying to expand the board.

This race kind of reminds me of MS '08 with Musgrove.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2011, 12:52:24 AM »

Let's say hypothetically Obama's margin goes down a little bit from 08 because of the economy to a high 60 win in Hawaii. Would Lingle even be able to win enough cross-over supporters to win?
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2011, 01:08:21 AM »

Perhaps they offered her something behind closed doors in exchange for running.  Or maybe she is just being a good soldier and taking one for the team.  I would agree that Lingle has a snowball in Hawaii chance of winning.

For the GOP this is a positive development, even though a loss is a virtual certainty.  As a former governor, Lingle will be able to fundraise fine on her own.  And symbolically, the Hawaii GOP is not embarrassing itself by putting up a non-entity U.S. Senate candidate.  Which is more than the WA GOP can say, lol.

Well Baumgartner is a million times better than Dino Rossi, so it's at least a slight step up for them.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2011, 02:16:26 AM »

BTW, PPP will poll Hawaii this weekend together with Ohio.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2011, 02:30:27 AM »
« Edited: October 13, 2011, 02:39:13 AM by Ogre Mage »

Let's say hypothetically Obama's margin goes down a little bit from 08 because of the economy to a high 60 win in Hawaii. Would Lingle even be able to win enough cross-over supporters to win?

No.  Let's say Obama wins the state 68-32.  That would mean Lingle would need to run 18-19 points better than the GOP Presidential candidate.  Given the more partisan nature of a Senate race and the fact Lingle left office with approvals in the low 40s, that seems virtually impossible.  It's only been 1.5 years since her governorship ended and I don't think that is enough time for negative perceptions to have eased.  After Hanabusa unseated Djou in a GOP wave year when Obama wasn't even on the ticket, there is nothing to suggest such a monumental upset is brewing.  Maybe if the Dems nominate an extremely weak candidate, but I can't see that happening either.

Also to say that Baumgartner is "a million times" better than Rossi is a huge stretch, but I don't want to derail the subject of this thread.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies