Israel and Hamas agree to prisoner exchange deal
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:35:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel and Hamas agree to prisoner exchange deal
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Israel and Hamas agree to prisoner exchange deal  (Read 1133 times)
danny
Israel

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 11, 2011, 08:16:07 PM »

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4134408,00.html

I'm not a fan of these deals as I worry that the people released will go on to do more terrorism but happy for Gilad anyway.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 08:34:20 PM »

The cynic in me says it's a ploy by Netanyahu to boost Hamas' political support and thus weaken Abbas' authority in the wake of last month's events at the UN.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 11:52:19 PM »

why does Israel make stupid deals like this and thus forever encourage more kidnappings?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 12:24:17 AM »

why does Israel make stupid deals like this and thus forever encourage more kidnappings?

A combination of placing a high value on Jewish life, plus they think the kidnappings and other violent acts would happen anyway.  If I felt like being cynical, I could also say that continued unrest gives Israel an excuse to further expand the settlements and take more land from the Palestinians, but other than the ultra-Zionist fringe I don't think Israelis would think that way. They want peace, but have lost faith that it could happen.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 12:28:38 AM »

but the only thing Hamas understands and respects is strength...and this deal is not that.
danny
Israel

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 07:46:44 AM »

I think you have to live in Israel to understand why. The Shalit story has been huge for 5 years now, it has easily been the most talked about story everywhere and not just in the news but amongst the general population. The situation simply isn't comparable to the US where an American soldier being kidnapped is barely news at all.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 11:49:05 AM »

I think you have to live in Israel to understand why. The Shalit story has been huge for 5 years now, it has easily been the most talked about story everywhere and not just in the news but amongst the general population. The situation simply isn't comparable to the US where an American soldier being kidnapped is barely news at all.

I read several Israeli newspapers on almost a daily basis, so I know Shalit has been always on the front burner and his family has been lobbying hard for his return.  But if Israel wouldn't make these kind of deals every couple of years, there would be no reason for IDF personnel to be kidnapped.  Killed, yes...but not kidnapped.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 09:28:18 PM »

I read several Israeli newspapers on almost a daily basis, so I know Shalit has been always on the front burner and his family has been lobbying hard for his return.  But if Israel wouldn't make these kind of deals every couple of years, there would be no reason for IDF personnel to be kidnapped.  Killed, yes...but not kidnapped.
Why should we even care what happens to Israel (no offense Danny, I am way more favorable to your country then Palestine), its their area of influence. America should not hold Israel back, nor should we be held back. American soldiers are killed in our wars daily. Israel rarely loses men. So to us, a POW is not big news (it should be).

jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 12:22:46 PM »

ok, this is getting dumber by the minute:

Hamas political leader Khaled Meshaal, who signed the exchange deal, vowed to continue efforts to kidnap Israeli soldiers to obtain the release of more prisoners. The Shalit abduction was not the last, he said: "We got 1,027 out of jail and we'll recover the remaining 8,000 too."

He was strongly echoed by radical Palestinian leaders in the Gaza Strip as they prepared a heroes' welcome for the homecoming terrorists.

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 02:36:33 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Great group a guys there.
craigmichael
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 02:40:21 PM »

Its actually not a bad move for the Israelies. We don't see them captiulating to any demands for the redefinement of the Gaza borders. And they won't. This is merely compensation. It clearly sends the message that Israel is still willing to cater to the manipulations of parties such as Hamas, but they don't have many other options. The region is in turmoil, and for them to play hardline right now would not really be in their interests.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 03:18:42 PM »

Im honestly disgusted with the comments on the Fox News story on this. Why do so many Americans seem to prefer Israel over their own country? The comments are saying--"if it means Israel is defended then let him die", and etc. This deal was the deal the Israeli government choose, and its none of our business.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 11:21:11 PM »

You're reading the comments section at FoxNews.com (or any partisan place for that matter), what else are you going to be other than disgusted?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 01:31:02 AM »

freed Palestinian prisoner vows to 'sacrifice' her life
You must be logged in to read this quote.
youtube news footage of her original crime (my favorite part is at the end when she says she wants to live and how sorry she is...check that...she didn't say she was sorry, she just begged for forgiveness....odd that as soon as she got it she vowed to do the exact same crime again)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 01:44:24 AM »

What, you mean dead0man isn't defending this like he did the release of thousands of prisoners in exchange for two DEAD soldiers? Israel is not just an immoral country but also a f**king stupid one too as these events have clearly proved.

Actually I'm amazed as dead0man never ever ever criticizes anything Israel ever does and even defended Israel's funding of Hamas in the 80s.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 02:47:12 AM »
« Edited: October 20, 2011, 04:49:19 AM by dead0man »

What, you mean dead0man isn't defending this like he did the release of thousands of prisoners in exchange for two DEAD soldiers? Israel is not just an immoral country but also a f**king stupid one too as these events have clearly proved.

Actually I'm amazed as dead0man never ever ever criticizes anything Israel ever does and even defended Israel's funding of Hamas in the 80s.
cite?

edit-I think I found half of what you're talking about here.
Sigh...I know for a fact that we've discussed this before, Roch. I won't go as far as to not call it a terrorist organization, it is, but it's common knowledge that Israel funded and armed Hamas in the 80's in an attempt to cause a civil war amongst the Palestinians...
So, any time one group funds/arms another it is as if they "founded" them?  And sure, in hind sight it might not have been the best choice, but can you really blame them for it?  And really, has Hamas been worse than the PLO or the Fatah of the 70s/80s?
Maybe that's not what you're thinking of....not really "defending" much there.  But what's funny is my post further down the last page.
Aye.  I'll concede here then.  Isreal was wrong.
I've also mentioned a time or three that I don't think the settlements are a good idea.  "ever ever" indeed.

Nothing on the previous exchange of prisoners for dead bodies though.  I can't see me saying it was a good idea, though I do understand why Israel does the exchange thing.  It seems to me to be counterproductive to let large numbers of mass murderers out of prison just to get one guy home (or several carcases), seems it would just get more people killed or kidnapped.  But like I said, they have their reasons.  They make a promise to do any and everything they can to get EVERYBODY back home and they sometimes make what seems to be stupid decisions to get them back.  And it's not like there aren't thousands of people around that want nothing more than to kidnap or murder a Jew (at least one in the linked thread), what's another thousand? 

I wouldn't do it, but I understand it.  I can't see me saying anything more "defensive" than that.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies