Union official to get $500,000 in pensions
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:19:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Union official to get $500,000 in pensions
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Union official to get $500,000 in pensions  (Read 949 times)
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 12, 2011, 11:03:19 AM »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44872639/ns/us_news-life/#.TpW43ZviE8k

The Chicago Tribune and WGN-TV, which obtained information about union pension benefits during a joint investigation, said at least eight union officials in Chicago were eligible for what were described as inflated city pensions on top of union pensions for the same period of employment.

The news organizations said this was due to "a charitable interpretation" of Illinois law by officials representing two city pension funds.

Have fun with your Quinn tax increase.

This of course is why we need to ensure these pensions die over the next decade as they are scheduled to according to mathematics.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 11:12:59 AM »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44626194/ns/us_news-life/t/report-ex-labor-chiefs--day-rehire-nets-city-pension/#.TpW6hpviE8k

A retired Chicago labor leader secured a $158,000 public pension — roughly five times greater than what a typical retired public-service worker in the Windy City receives — after being rehired for just one day of active duty on the city payroll, local news reports said.

Gannon, former president of the Chicago Federation of Labor, was able to take a long leave from a city job to work for a union and then receive a city pension based on a high union salary. That arrangement is allowed under a state law signed by Gov. Jim Thompson on his last day in office in 1991, according to an investigation by the Tribune and WGN-TV.

Link
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 11:19:16 AM »
« Edited: October 12, 2011, 11:22:01 AM by Link »

The Chicago Tribune and WGN-TV, which obtained information about union pension benefits during a joint investigation, said at least eight union officials in Chicago were eligible for what were described as inflated city pensions on top of union pensions for the same period of employment.

The news organizations said this was due to "a charitable interpretation" of Illinois law by officials representing two city pension funds.

This of course is why we need to ensure these pensions die over the next decade as they are scheduled to according to mathematics.

A handful of cherry picked pensions does not a trend make.  If you want to talk about inflated benefits packages in America look no further than the corporate board room.

I don't know what a "union official" is exactly.  I don't know what they do and I don't know how well these individuals have done it.  What I do know is there are countless CEOs that have outsourced American jobs and lost billions of dollars for investors and walked out the door with golden parachutes that make the numbers you quoted look like a 5 year olds walking around money.  ALL inflated benefits packages should be scrutinized but let's start at the top where the most egregious abuses are taking place and work our way down.  Deal?
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 11:57:56 AM »

Not really a handful. Illinois state pension expense has quadrupled since 1992 from $2.5 billion to $10 billion in constant dollars.

http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/spending_chart_1992_2016ILk_12s1li111mcn_00t
Link
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 12:11:41 PM »

Not really a handful. Illinois state pension expense has quadrupled since 1992 from $2.5 billion to $10 billion in constant dollars.

http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/spending_chart_1992_2016ILk_12s1li111mcn_00t

And this is all due to people getting half million dollar a year pensions.  Do you hear yourself?
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 01:26:33 PM »

dude Illinois is a blue state. Get over it.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 01:57:18 PM »

And this is all due to people getting half million dollar a year pensions.  Do you hear yourself?

You're great at diverting, aren't you.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 01:58:15 PM »

dude Illinois is a blue state. Get over it.

I am over it. I merely want to make sure that Mark Kirk's prediction holds true and that Illinois reaps the windfall of its misbehavior.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 02:18:15 PM »

A retired Chicago labor leader retiring twelve-year CEO of Exxon-Mobil secured a $158,000 $400,000,000 public pension golden parachute — roughly five eight hundred times greater than what a typical retired public-service worker in the Windy City roughneck receives earns in six years— after being rehired for just one day of active duty on the city payroll raping Eden, local news reports said.

muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 03:33:50 PM »

Pension income is exempt from IL income tax. So, yes they will have fun.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 03:39:56 PM »

Absolutely ludicrous. Public union pension benefits are ruining this country. Good to see it's not only in California. But I don't know if I could have voted for Brady. Why do both parties have to nominate crazies? Ugh.

And does the Republican party in Illinois have it's own pet unions? Here in California the "peace" officers and correctional dipsh**t unions are in the pockets of the Republicans. The teachers are in the pockets of the Democrats. And the local Police and Firefighters are the worst obviously, owning all the cities regardless of affiliation (California doesn't have partisan races at the local level). Can these contracts be voided somehow? Ugh.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 03:51:49 PM »

Absolutely ludicrous. Public union pension benefits are ruining this country. Good to see it's not only in California. But I don't know if I could have voted for Brady. Why do both parties have to nominate crazies? Ugh.

And does the Republican party in Illinois have it's own pet unions? Here in California the "peace" officers and correctional dipsh**t unions are in the pockets of the Republicans. The teachers are in the pockets of the Democrats. And the local Police and Firefighters are the worst obviously, owning all the cities regardless of affiliation (California doesn't have partisan races at the local level). Can these contracts be voided somehow? Ugh.

Article XIII, section 5 of the IL constitution:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Now you see the underlying issue here.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 04:02:51 PM »

Yup, ridiculous. Just absolutely ridiculous. Though I don't get why Republicans don't first go for to destroy their pension benefits first and rather try to push through political moves like trying to stop their political advocacy. It just seems like political retribution rather than actually solving the issue. The pensions are the big issue, and if they frame it correctly I think they can have the public on their side. Rather, in Wisconsin it just looks like the Republicans are trying to screw over Democrats. Way too much partisanship when in reality 70-80% of people, represented from all parties, would be against this. If not then we are in big trouble.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2011, 11:17:29 AM »

It would really help your cause if you wouldn't

1)  Act like every union worker is some evil money grubbing system gamer

2)  Act like liberals actually endorse exorbitant pensions and benefits in these rough economic times.

If you realized that people like me are certainly not proud of the fact that these people game the system and that they give a bad name to unions... and simply made the suggestion that this behavior should stop.. rather than lambasting "unions" and "liberals", etc... people wouldn't be so up in arms.

kthxbai
Jacobtm

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2011, 11:21:11 AM »

Bankers and investors are billionaires on the tax-payers dime.

Your fake ass outrage is misdirected.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2011, 11:47:21 AM »

The legislation in question to allow this behavior actually seems to have been signed by a Republican governor in his last day of office, so yep.

The same is true for New Jersey; for 25 years they attempted to get into bed with the NJEA.
Link
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2011, 12:14:43 PM »

Absolutely ludicrous. Public union pension benefits are ruining this country.

You know I always wondered what explained this graph...

Now I know its all due to former government employees who are now pensioners.  Good post!
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2011, 01:04:31 PM »
« Edited: October 15, 2011, 01:06:18 PM by sbane »

Now I know its all due to former government employees who are now pensioners.  Good post!

These people leech money for services that should be going to help people. So kids have to pay more for tuition, taking out ridiculous amounts of loans because the state can't help subsidize their tuition. Roads not getting built and firehouses and police stations not being staffed properly because former workers have to be paid the same amount they were making when actually working.

F the banksters too, who take out bonuses on bailout money.  I hope more Republicans would speak out against those leeches too. And not just that but how the top executives at all big companies, state helped or not, who take out ridiculous compensation packages for themselves. Republicans might say it's the private industry so we shouldn't mess with that, but we all pay for it too! So yeah F them! (And I am not a Republican, do not let the temporary avatar fool you) Though paying a large amount of people large pensions is going to cost more than paying just a few executives ridiculous amounts, sadly.

Oh, also I am sure this doesn't happen in all states. California probably has it the worst. Some states compensation packages might be very reasonable. And it depends from city to city as well.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2011, 02:48:03 PM »

Bankers and investors are billionaires on the tax-payers dime.

Your fake ass outrage is misdirected.

Simplicity is always the best policy, no wonder the Japanese seem so wise. Now mixing that with western irony and you get...
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2011, 07:08:27 PM »

Anyone with a $500,000 a year pension is in the richest 1%. So, fine, in addition to all of the worthless overpaid CEOs, there are a few overpaid pensioners.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies