"I am that I am." (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:41:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  "I am that I am." (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "I am that I am."  (Read 1971 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: October 15, 2011, 04:03:26 PM »

When Moses asks God (who, the story goes, appears to him in the form of a Burning Bush)  "Who are you?", God's reply is :

"I am that I am."

Is God being deliberately tautological here? Is God confused about the distinction between subject and object in sentences? Was the translation really messed up?

Or maybe, God is the only one capable of defining God, so God is self-defining?

Hebrews were not very good in things like Logic or Linguistics.

In fact, they were a tribe of barbarians nomads whose theology "strangely" had many things in common with Egyptian and other Middle-Eastern religions.

It's the bBible, not an encyclopedia.
Actually, Judaism is very distinct from Egyptian and other ancient near-east religions.  Monotheism!

And that jab about Hebrews not being very good about logic or linguistics is rather stupid.  Jews[1] make up about 1/5th of all Nobel Prize recipients.

[1] Yes, not all descendants of the Hebrews are Jews, but they are the predominant ethnicity that identify with the ancient Hebrews.

I'm guessing that by similarities he means the parallels with other ancient myths, such as the particulars of the creation story (both creation stories in Genesis, actually) & the flood story.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies