any of you guys know anything about those counties surrounding Indianapolis?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:46:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  any of you guys know anything about those counties surrounding Indianapolis?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: any of you guys know anything about those counties surrounding Indianapolis?  (Read 1268 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 16, 2011, 07:11:57 PM »

I was looking at presidential election results for past elections and it seems like the straight ticket machine is being used alot there. I appears to be a super hyperpartisan place. Even when Evan Bayh was rolling up landslides as governor or senator, most of those counties were voting for his opponent.

Even in three way elections like 1992, those counties were giving Bush 55-60 percent of the vote. Even Barry Goldwater and Alf Landon won all of those counties. Much of this area has been represented by Dan Burton for the past 30 years. Does anyone know why this area has been super partisan for so long. Did this area used to be a JBS stronghold or something?

I've never been to this area so anyone here who has any knowledge of the area or has been there or lived there is welcome to give information.
FloridaRepublican
justrhyno
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 08:42:51 PM »

Very Republican suburbs/exurbs of a large city, just like in many other parts of the country.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 08:50:18 PM »

I stayed in north Indianapolis, barely within the county line, and while my hotel was a high rise, the area was quite suburban. Such areas were apparently annexed when Lugar was Mayor. So the next counties would be more exurban than suburban.

Still, such areas seem more GOP than most non-Southern exurbs.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 04:28:22 AM »

JBS was founded in Indianapolis.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 03:23:11 PM »

Very Republican suburbs/exurbs of a large city, just like in many other parts of the country.
...a traditionally very Republican city, though the city itself has flipped now.

Also, outer suburbs. And very affluent. And traditionally Republican places even before they became suburbs.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies