Anti-Catholic bigotry seems to be back...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:58:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Anti-Catholic bigotry seems to be back...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Anti-Catholic bigotry seems to be back...  (Read 7552 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 22, 2004, 08:51:24 AM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4117449.stm

Disgusting. Thinly disguised bigotry masked by a Goddamned wedge issue.
Brilliant.
Just what British politics needs...
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 10:45:00 AM »

Brilliant.

They did that with Clarence Thomas.  "He was educated by nuns, so he's anti-abortion and religious nutjob," was the implied attack.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 12:00:04 PM »

Brilliant.

They did that with Clarence Thomas.  "He was educated by nuns, so he's anti-abortion and religious nutjob," was the implied attack.

and they were right.

I don't see the problem here, she opposes stem cell research, keep her out.

I also don't see how anti-Catholic bigotry can exist, I think it's natural to have a very low opinion of a church that considers me and all other Protestants to be heretics.
Vincent
azpol76
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 12:15:10 PM »

Brilliant.

and they were right.

I also don't see how anti-Catholic bigotry can exist, I think it's natural to have a very low opinion of a church that considers me and all other Protestants to be heretics.
Non - Catholics are recognized by the church as true christians.  They have been since the Second Vatican Council.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 12:23:48 PM »

Brilliant.

and they were right.

Non - Catholics are recognized by the church as true christians.  They have been since the Second Vatican Council.

If they were serious about that, they should lift the anathema from Trent, pending over all Protestants.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2004, 02:47:15 PM »

Brilliant.

and they were right.

The Church has officially recongnized non-Catholic Christians as true Christians since the Second Vatincan Council.  Its Protestant who think that Catholics are all going to Hell.  You assinine comment just proved the bigotry that still exists in the Protestant community towards the Catholic Church.  If Protestants stuck to the when talking about Catholics, they wouldn't have anything to say.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2004, 03:03:56 PM »

I don't believe that I am reading this thinly veiled anti-Catholic piece. This is horrible that in this day Catholics are still looked at as imbelciles, nuts, and horrible papists. This is horrible and more appropriate for the 1500s than the 2000s.

Al are you a Catholic?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2004, 03:09:18 PM »

Education Secretary has nothing to do with that sort of thing. Her job is to run the Education system (based on her record lower down the governmental tree she'll do a good job without prejudice) not make decisions over stem cell research.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Up until very recently anti-Catholic bigotry was a serious problem over here... as recently as the '60's the Tories held working class seats in Liverpool purely because they played on the anti-Catholic/anti-Irish predjudices of Liverpool's Protestants. A visit by the Pope to Liverpool was cancelled in the '60's because the City Council as good as threatened political violence.

Whatwith the problems with the Islamic community at the moment the last thing we need is a shadowy group complaining about the appointment of a competent minister to a vital Government portfolio because of her religious beliefs.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2004, 03:16:48 PM »

Brilliant.

and they were right.

The Church has officially recongnized non-Catholic Christians as true Christians since the Second Vatincan Council.  Its Protestant who think that Catholics are all going to Hell.  You assinine comment just proved the bigotry that still exists in the Protestant community towards the Catholic Church.  If Protestants stuck to the when talking about Catholics, they wouldn't have anything to say.

That is but camouflage. They keep saying we are some sort of imcomplete Christians, that our practices may be an obstacle to salvation, but worse, that leaving the Catholic Chrch will get one to hell, and deem our beliefs as heresy. I wonder, if their beliefs are so good, why could't they convince the all the other groups--Romish, Eastern Orthodox, Coptic, Nestorian, etc. that professed the same premises. The people of each of these groups bow down to some human authority that claims the same things: unity, ancient tradition, appointment by Christ, apostolic succession, ceremonies, funny hats, etc, adn yet, you can't bear that someone will drift apart from this. You view us very badly, altogh you try to cover it with ecumenical lip service.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2004, 03:20:42 PM »

Okay here is what the official doctrine of the Roman Catholic Church is:

All Protestants are Christians.

Only members of the eastern Churches (i.e. Nestorian, Coptic Armenian Catholic, Assyrian), Eastern Orthodox and the Roman Catholic Church of Poland, along with regular Roman Catholics, can recieve communion at mass.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2004, 03:48:38 PM »

No, I'm a Methodist
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2004, 04:05:33 PM »

Ah, my "Protestant" Church has been know to offer prayers for "John Paul II, Bishop of Rome," along with our local (Episcopal) Bishops.  The opinion of Presbyterian Church (in which I was raised) and the Episcopal Church (of which I am a practicing member) is that any baptized Christian may receive Communion (Holy Eucharist, in the Episcopal Church).  That would include Roman Catholics.  

While there are differences in theology, some major, so far as I know, neither Protestant denomination has the official or unofficial position that Roman Catholics are going to Hell.  

The Episcopal Church recognizes Roman Catholic Holy Orders to the extent that a Catholic Confirmation is valid in the Episcopal Church.   Someone confirmed in the Catholic Church that wishes to convert can be "re-affirmed" or "received" into the Episcopal Church, but not "Confirmed," as the Catholic rite is considered valid.  
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2004, 05:12:52 PM »

My church (United Methodist... then again I should specify that I only know of my church that does this... the UMC is very diverse Tongue) believes anyone can receive communion, even non-Christians Cool
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2004, 05:47:13 PM »

It amuses me the label of Protestant has stuck since the Protestation, it defines those who follow such Christian teachings as purely in opposition to the Catholic Church, I am surprised "Protestants" are happy with that.

Oh and I am nit bigoted against Catholics, I just generally hold a poor view of organized religion. Though I do like Buddhism.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2004, 07:19:22 PM »

not ex-Catholics, such as my mother, who have committed heresy.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2004, 07:21:20 PM »

Al, are you familiar with Bill Pryor? The Republicans made ridiculous claims of anti-Catholicism of the Democrats trying to keep him from his judicial seat when the reason was clearly he was extremist views. This sounds kind of similar to the ridiculous claims, although I suppose it might be different in the UK because of the whole Northern Ireland issue.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2004, 07:26:48 PM »

no catholics arent going to hell and many of them are great people..... still...... bloody papists
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2004, 07:31:28 PM »

no catholics arent going to hell and many of them are great people..... still...... bloody papists
Hey, don't insult my religion buddy. Bloody papists my ass you crazy bigot.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2004, 07:32:56 PM »

PAPIST! WHY NOT WEAR YOUR LABEL WITH PRIDE THEN!! PAPIST! no im kidding of course but explain how im a bigot
bloody papist
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2004, 07:40:19 PM »

PAPIST! WHY NOT WEAR YOUR LABEL WITH PRIDE THEN!! PAPIST! no im kidding of course but explain how im a bigot
bloody papist
You keep calling me a bloody papist and I am guessing, from that statement, that you are rather bigoted against Catholics. I kinda jumped to conclusions there but this is a thread about Anti-Catholic bigotry.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2004, 07:41:34 PM »

ok, but no most of you are fine, there are crazies in all wings of christianity
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2004, 07:42:44 PM »

bloody papist
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2004, 08:28:53 PM »

aaaahhhh. You will feel the wrath of the pope. Smiley
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2004, 09:17:15 PM »

Ah, my "Protestant" Church has been know to offer prayers for "John Paul II, Bishop of Rome," along with our local (Episcopal) Bishops.  The opinion of Presbyterian Church (in which I was raised) and the Episcopal Church (of which I am a practicing member) is that any baptized Christian may receive Communion (Holy Eucharist, in the Episcopal Church).  That would include Roman Catholics.  

While there are differences in theology, some major, so far as I know, neither Protestant denomination has the official or unofficial position that Roman Catholics are going to Hell.  

The Episcopal Church recognizes Roman Catholic Holy Orders to the extent that a Catholic Confirmation is valid in the Episcopal Church.   Someone confirmed in the Catholic Church that wishes to convert can be "re-affirmed" or "received" into the Episcopal Church, but not "Confirmed," as the Catholic rite is considered valid.  

The Episcopal Church is basically "Catholic Lite" so I know that they don't discriminate, much.  Acctually, there is no cross over process for Episcopal preists converting to Catholism either.

There are several sects of Presbyterianism and dozens of other Calvinist groups that still regard the Pope as being the anti-Christ.  I know, we have that exact problem in my area.

Even if they don't openly discriminate, many Protestant Churches and many Protestants believe all sorts of F-ed up things about Catholics and the Church.

Example, just read what Bono has to say.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2004, 09:25:50 PM »

Common falacies that are believed by just about every Protestant I have ever talked to:

1) Catholics worship Mary.

2) Catholics worship statues.

3) Catholics worship saints.

4) Catholics believe that non-Catholics are doomed to Hell.

5) All Protestants are seen as being "excomunicated" from the Kingdom of God.

6) All priest all pedophiles.

7) The Pope is seen as being illfallable and free of sin.

Cool We worship the Pope.

9) Pope Pius XII was a monster who hated Jews and cooperated with Hitler.

There are many others.  Those are just a handful.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies