How Open Minded Do You Consider Yourself? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:45:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  How Open Minded Do You Consider Yourself? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How Open Minded Do You Consider Yourself?
Very Open Minded, Always Looking For Good Argument To Build On My Views

Moderately Open Minded, There Is A Fairly Reasonable Chance Someone Could Sway Me

A Little Open Minded, The Overwhelming Odds Are That No One Will Sway My Views

I Know The Other Side Is Wrong, So I Don't Really Care How They Argue Their Points

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 62

Author Topic: How Open Minded Do You Consider Yourself?  (Read 4930 times)
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« on: October 19, 2011, 06:16:34 PM »

Well I have had a pretty dramatic shift in views, from latte liberal (kid version) to anarcho-capitalist, and it was pretty much set off by the influence of others and how I've chosen to educate myself.  Then again, I think I've always been pretty sympathetic to libertarian points of view in the abstract, it's just that society always teaches people to think about things in certain ways, or that to oppose Dubya you have to support the Democrats, etc.  You kind of have to be open-minded towards a different point of view if you become a libertarian (unless you're one of those types who get to that position by squaring a circle, e.g. "I'm Republican and gay," "I'm a Republican who smokes pot," etc.).  However, you're probably not going to get me to change my opinion on much by arguing with me on the internet, and while I'm still young I certainly feel like this is pretty much going to be my value-system, so option 4, to be honest.

Things my mind might be changed on are things that are iffy from a libertarian perspective morally (i.e. abortion, voting, how much one should be allowed to take from the state), or on a utilitarian basis (i.e. illegal immigration given the current welfare, education, etc. policy), though of those my position is only really fluid on abortion.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies