Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2017, 02:43:55 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Be sure to enable your "Ultimate Profile" for even more goodies on your profile page!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Election Archive
| |-+  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
| | |-+  Now, I'm not one to pass judgement...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Now, I'm not one to pass judgement...  (Read 4839 times)
Alcon
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2004, 04:48:17 am »
Ignore

...But this is ridiculous.

Defeated Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry likely is going to get one less electoral vote nationally than he should have -- 251 instead of 252 -- because of an apparent mistake Monday by one of Minnesota's 10 DFL electors.

One of the 10 handwritten ballots cast for president carried the name of vice presidential candidate John Edwards (actually spelled "Ewards" on the ballot) rather than Kerry.

There was stunned silence after the announcement that Edwards had gotten a vote for president, but none of the 10 electors volunteered that they voted for Edwards as a protest, nor did anyone step forward to admit an error.

Meuers said he was certain that the Edwards ballot wasn't his, but he noted that "both the candidates were named John, and the ballots looked pretty much alike."

Although the electors expressed regret that Kerry did not win nationally, most of them also said they took pleasure in casting the votes that keep Minnesota in the Democratic column for the eighth straight presidential election, the longest Democratic streak of any state.

"John Ewards"?

Congratulations, anonymous Minnesota elector. You've flunked out of electoral college!

n/c
DaleC76

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 05:08:04 am »
Ignore

"both the candidates were named John, and the ballots looked pretty much alike."

LOL

Nym90
nym90
Modadmin
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 06:27:58 am »
Ignore

So this person voted for John Ewards for President, and John Edwards for Vice President??

Maybe they deliberately did it this way so as to not vote for the same person for both offices....otherwise perhaps the Congress should not consider the vote valid unless the voter in question can confirm just who this guy John Ewards is who received a vote for President.

Actually it might be kind of cool, they can go out and find someone in North Carolina with that name and tell him that he got an Electoral Vote....
Silent Hunter
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2004, 02:14:54 pm »
Ignore

I searched for John Ewards in Google, and most of it is just misspellings of Edwards. There may be someone called Ewards who is involved in the Mormons.

The Duke
JohnD.Ford
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004, 01:24:51 pm »
Ignore

So he wrote down the wrong name, then mispelled the name on top of that?

And you guys wonder why we always win.

Shut you hole... Conservatism is dead. I hope I get to see your head paraded on a pike with it.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2004, 01:52:22 pm »
Ignore

Perhaps we can devine "voter intent" in some way to allocate this vote?

Perhaps all members of the electoral college should vote on touch screen machines...?

Every vote must both count and be counted...

No man's liberty is safe while Congress is in session...Thomas Jefferson
Engineer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2004, 05:44:25 pm »
Ignore

Weren't the Bush voters suppose to be the ignorant ones?
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2004, 09:00:40 am »
Ignore

Yeah, I thought Liberals were supposed to be "smart" and "educated."  I'm pretty sure even "dumb" Mississippi can spell better.
Bono
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2004, 03:17:49 pm »
Ignore

I searched for John Ewards in Google, and most of it is just misspellings of Edwards. There may be someone called Ewards who is involved in the Mormons.

People Data records 5 J. Ewards, but no John, in NC.

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed and hence clamorous to be led to safety by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." H.L. Mencken

NO, I don't want to go back to Fantasy Elections.
Alcon
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2004, 05:27:05 pm »
Ignore

Bingo. Somewhere in North Carolina, Intelius says there is a Johnny Ewards.

n/c
○∙◄☻tπ[╪AV┼cV└
jfern
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2004, 05:29:03 pm »
Ignore

There are 0 people named John Ewards in the phone book nation wide. Sounds like we have a Electoral Kindergarten.

Alcon
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2004, 05:31:18 pm »
Ignore

There are 0 people named John Ewards in the phone book nation wide. Sounds like we have a Electoral Kindergarten.

40% of people are unlisted. Some live in houses with another person who lists primarily.

Johnny Ewards is a lucky fellow. If I wanted to pay $10 to do so, I could get his address to tell him so, but I don't want to.

n/c
○∙◄☻tπ[╪AV┼cV└
jfern
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2004, 05:37:04 pm »
Ignore

40% of people are unlisted. Some live in houses with another person who lists primarily.

Johnny Ewards is a lucky fellow. If I wanted to pay $10 to do so, I could get his address to tell him so, but I don't want to.

I suppose they could have only a cellphone, too.
There are 47 people with the last name Ewards. There is a J. Ewards in Ridge, NY, and a J. R. Ewards in San Leandro, CA. It'd be funny to tell one of those people that they got an electoral vote.

Alcon
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2004, 05:41:31 pm »
Ignore

I suppose they could have only a cellphone, too.
There are 47 people with the last name Ewards. There is a J. Ewards in Ridge, NY, and a J. R. Ewards in San Leandro, CA. It'd be funny to tell one of those people that they got an electoral vote.

I'm not sure if Johnny Ewards of NC can claim he got the electoral vote. It would be too bad if his birth name was actually Johnny.

I believe electoral votes specify the state of residence on them, so the only person who could even theoretically get them is Johnny Ewards.

n/c
○∙◄☻tπ[╪AV┼cV└
jfern
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2004, 05:43:24 pm »
Ignore

Are they going to add John Ewards to this list?

http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/~yan/elecv.html

○∙◄☻tπ[╪AV┼cV└
jfern
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2004, 05:56:44 pm »
Ignore

Here's the oaths of the electors

http://minnesotademocratsexposed.blogspot.com/2004/12/mde-exclusive-match-edwards-ballot.html#comments
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 06:10:15 pm by jfern »Logged

Alcon
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2004, 06:04:36 pm »
Ignore

The first image I can't see because it is on 127.0.0.1, which is your hard drive. For what it's worth, it is a very good think I can't see your hard drive. Wink

n/c
J. J.
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2005, 06:58:03 pm »
Ignore

Was a vote for "President Ewards" counted?

J. J.

"Actually, .. now that you mention it...." 
- Londo Molari

"Every government are parliaments of whores.
The trouble is, in a democracy the whores are us." - P. J. O'Rourke

"Wa sala, wa lala."

(Zulu for, "You snooze, you lose.")
??????????
StatesRights
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2005, 07:44:56 pm »
Ignore

Sonja Berg looks like the likely person. Notice the letter "H" in both names. And the style is very similar.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout