Redistricting Commissions and Referenda (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:12:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Redistricting Commissions and Referenda (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Redistricting Commissions and Referenda  (Read 5236 times)
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« on: October 16, 2011, 04:27:34 PM »
« edited: October 16, 2011, 04:29:07 PM by JohnnyLongtorso »

Traditionally, Maryland hasn't been a big referendum state, though the slots referendum a few years ago (though I think that was initiated by the legislature) and an upcoming referendum on the state's recently-passed DREAM act might signal a shift in attitudes.

There needs to be a referendum. I can't think of an uglier gerrymander in recent memory. Even the 2001 districts were much better than this.

I could get behind referenda in both Ohio and Maryland on their horrible maps. I can't agree with unilateral disarmament but we need some kind of counter-weight to the legislative impulse to do the worst they can get away with. It doesn't matter if it's a single-party gerrymander or a bipartisan protection scheme.

Maybe a constitutional amendment establishing a national redistricting commission like other countries?

If we're going to do a constitutional amendment to fix the broken mess that is electing members of the House of Representatives, we should just do proportional representation or something. Single-member FPTP just doesn't work on the population scale that the US requires, it's far too easy to gerrymander districts.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies