Redistricting Commissions and Referenda (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:12:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Redistricting Commissions and Referenda (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Redistricting Commissions and Referenda  (Read 5231 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« on: October 16, 2011, 09:28:14 PM »

There needs to be a referendum. I can't think of an uglier gerrymander in recent memory. Even the 2001 districts were much better than this.

And the Ohio map as well?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 09:49:13 PM »

There needs to be a referendum. I can't think of an uglier gerrymander in recent memory. Even the 2001 districts were much better than this.

And the Ohio map as well?

That's perfectly fine too, in face while we're at it, every state without a commission should push for one.

Agreed.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 10:20:16 AM »

Garbage commissions has not worked out well for New Jersey where the commissions keep implementing Democratic gerrymanders.

That said, at least there is a sense of honor in that municipalities are not sliced and diced.

So all commissions draw democratic gerrymanders? Or is it that no republican gerrymander= democratic gerrymander to you? I did a democratic gerrymander in Nj and was able to make the 7th a Dem district in the north. The vra screws things up there. In the south all you gotta do is split the Camden area....doesn't work out well for the pubbies.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 11:32:35 AM »

Garbage commissions has not worked out well for New Jersey where the commissions keep implementing Democratic gerrymanders.

That said, at least there is a sense of honor in that municipalities are not sliced and diced.

So all commissions draw democratic gerrymanders? Or is it that no republican gerrymander= democratic gerrymander to you? I did a democratic gerrymander in Nj and was able to make the 7th a Dem district in the north. The vra screws things up there. In the south all you gotta do is split the Camden area....doesn't work out well for the pubbies.

They seem, in practice, to have the advantage for reasons unknown, yes. Indeed, the last New Jersey legislative map engaged in a 3 way split of Jersey City and Newark despite the rules specifically stating that there must be a 2 way split.

I guess as has been stated up above, it was a Democratic gerrymander that they accepted. I have no clue how the legislative maps were, but the congressional map seems fair. And I don't think NJ has the kind of commission I want.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies