Redistricting Commissions and Referenda (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:20:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Redistricting Commissions and Referenda (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Redistricting Commissions and Referenda  (Read 5223 times)
redcommander
YaBB God
« on: October 16, 2011, 04:22:32 PM »

There needs to be a referendum. I can't think of an uglier gerrymander in recent memory. Even the 2001 districts were much better than this.

I could get behind referenda in both Ohio and Maryland on their horrible maps. I can't agree with unilateral disarmament but we need some kind of counter-weight to the legislative impulse to do the worst they can get away with. It doesn't matter if it's a single-party gerrymander or a bipartisan protection scheme.

Maybe a constitutional amendment establishing a national redistricting commission like other countries?
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 04:31:59 PM »

There needs to be a referendum. I can't think of an uglier gerrymander in recent memory. Even the 2001 districts were much better than this.

I could get behind referenda in both Ohio and Maryland on their horrible maps. I can't agree with unilateral disarmament but we need some kind of counter-weight to the legislative impulse to do the worst they can get away with. It doesn't matter if it's a single-party gerrymander or a bipartisan protection scheme.

Maybe a constitutional amendment establishing a national redistricting commission like other countries?

If we're going to do a constitutional amendment to fix the broken mess that is electing members of the House of Representatives, we should just do proportional representation or multi-member districts or something. Single-member FPTP just doesn't work on the population scale that the US requires, it's far too easy to gerrymander districts.

I think the last thing the country needs is more crazies in Congress which PP would allow. Can you image all the Libertarians and Green Partiers running loose in the Capital? It may work in some countries, but seeing that primaries nowadays are dominated by batsh*t demagogues, it will just make Congress even more unstable.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 09:44:23 PM »

And the Ohio map as well?

That's perfectly fine too, in face while we're at it, every state without a commission should push for one.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 01:53:51 AM »

So, Washington insiders can pick their own voters?

Alright... How about voters elect members to the commission through a national primary then? Republicans will choose from a slate of non-politically active Republicans, Democrats from their own slate, and Independents from their own slate. Maybe throw in a joint slate for all the registered third party voters to choose from too. And to prevent the influence of big money and self-funders, require that a majority of the members make less than 250,000 a year.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies