Harper's Ferry, West Virginia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:16:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Harper's Ferry, West Virginia
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Harper's Ferry, West Virginia  (Read 2385 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 22, 2004, 04:45:32 PM »

Have any of yall ever been there?  Is it a fun place to visit?
There's a chance I'll be taking a trip to DC this summer with  a school group, and since we've all already been and seen the monuments, we're thinking about a day trip out from there.  None of us have ever been to WV at all before, and HF is only about an hour from DC.  I was thinking about leaving for HF in the morning, and spending a few hours there, and then going to Gettysburg that afternoon.  Would any of yall who've been there recommend those places, and would we be able to find fun stuff to do there?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 04:55:30 PM »

There's a chance I'll be taking a trip to DC this summer with  a school group, and since we've all already been and seen the monuments, we're thinking about a day trip out from there.  None of us have ever been to WV at all before, and HF is only about an hour from DC.  I was thinking about leaving for HF in the morning, and spending a few hours there, and then going to Gettysburg that afternoon.  Would any of yall who've been there recommend those places, and would we be able to find fun stuff to do there?

Harpers Ferry floods all the time so most of the time they're cleaning it up from the previous flood.
Nice place though.
If you've ever considered death by hiking, I'm pretty sure the Appalachian Trail runs through it.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 06:36:27 PM »

The drive thru tour of Gettysburg is pretty good. It's also fun to walk out onto some of the battlefields. I haven't been to WV.
Go up to Baltimore and see Ft. McHenry.
If you really want to take a day trip, leave at 4 AM and go up to NYC. You could spend a 9-5 day there and be back by about 10 PM.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2004, 04:29:01 PM »

I've been to HF many many many times. Probably 15-20 or more. Its a pretty nice town. Lots of historical sites, lots of hills, not very many food places however. I highly recommend seeing it but you can no see both Gettysburg and HF in one day. It would be nearly impossible. Its about an hour and a half drive one way. If you want to see HF and another historical site I would recommend a 30 minute drive to Sharpsburg (aka Antietam).
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2004, 04:30:09 PM »

Harpers Ferry floods all the time so most of the time they're cleaning it up from the previous flood.
Nice place though.
If you've ever considered death by hiking, I'm pretty sure the Appalachian Trail runs through it.

It doesn't flood as bad as it used to. They've put up levees and the like to try and stop flooding. Its not near as bad as it once was. And yes the A.Trail does run through it.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2004, 04:59:04 PM »

It doesn't flood as bad as it used to. They've put up levees and the like to try and stop flooding. Its not near as bad as it once was.

Problem with levees is that when there's a flood (which to be fair doesn't happen as often) it's a lot worse than if there were no levees.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

There's evidence that some bears have started to use the AT as a sort of road...
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2004, 05:00:20 PM »

There's evidence that some bears have started to use the AT as a sort of road...

That wouldn't suprise me. When I used to hike the trail (many many moons ago) I saw bears and the evidence of them all the time.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2004, 05:22:35 PM »

That wouldn't suprise me. When I used to hike the trail (many many moons ago) I saw bears and the evidence of them all the time.

It's lucky that bears in (most) of the Appalachians have learned to associate humans with guns*

*And food carried around in little boxes
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2004, 11:16:18 PM »

but it wouldn't be a problem driving to Gettysburg for a few hours and then swinging through a corner of WV would it?  I doubt anyone but me would want to spend that long at Gettysburg
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2004, 01:45:37 AM »

but it wouldn't be a problem driving to Gettysburg for a few hours and then swinging through a corner of WV would it?  I doubt anyone but me would want to spend that long at Gettysburg

Gettysburg is a very very very large battlefield. I guess you could do it in a few hours if you wanted. But it takes me a whole day to REALLY tour the battlefield.
danwxman

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2004, 02:01:04 AM »

Gettysburg is a very very very large battlefield. I guess you could do it in a few hours if you wanted. But it takes me a whole day to REALLY tour the battlefield.

There are so many hidden Civil War treasures all over this area...I'd also suggest visiting downtown Gettysburg and going on a walking ghost tour....if the weather permits.
danwxman

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2004, 02:04:26 AM »

Oh btw, Harper's Ferry is a neat place and really worth the visit.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2004, 02:09:08 AM »

I agree with both your posts!! For once!!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2004, 04:02:35 AM »

There are so many hidden Civil War treasures all over this area...I'd also suggest visiting downtown Gettysburg and going on a walking ghost tour....if the weather permits.

And I'm pretty sure that Eisenhower's old house is near the battlefield
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2004, 06:11:44 PM »

And I'm pretty sure that Eisenhower's old house is near the battlefield

Yes, actually it is on the battlefield. The rear lines of where the confederate army was as a matter of fact. I have been there a couple of times. Pretty nice homely house. Nothing showy or spectacular about it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies